U of Iowa c/o 2021

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
vikingrunner

U of Iowa c/o 2021

Post by vikingrunner »

Migration.

I got scholarship info via email...and I'm not sure if I'm reading it right. So the big number is the first year at the out-of-state rate then the next 2 years are smaller for the in-state rate that I get *if* I secure an LRA position? That sound about right?
SportsAndMindcrack

Re: U of Iowa c/o 2021

Post by SportsAndMindcrack »

vikingrunner wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:38 am Migration.

I got scholarship info via email...and I'm not sure if I'm reading it right. So the big number is the first year at the out-of-state rate then the next 2 years are smaller for the in-state rate that I get *if* I secure an LRA position? That sound about right?
When did you get the scholarship info and when were you accepted?
vikingrunner

Post by vikingrunner »

SportsAndMindcrack wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:17 am

Email this morning, accepted a week ago.
SportsAndMindcrack

vikingrunner wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 am
SportsAndMindcrack wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:17 am

Email this morning, accepted a week ago.
Damn, sorry I can't help ya. Accepted 12/11, no scholarship info yet. Starting to think that means no scholarship. But from what I remember others saying, what you said sounds right about the LRA, yes.
lkoy

Post by lkoy »

Accepted 1/25 - Waiting to hear about possible scholarship info.
SportsAndMindcrack

Alright LSL. Accepted 12/11, still no word. At what point is it acceptable to contact Iowa about scholarships information?
bddbr

Post by bddbr »

Did anyone go UR3?
TedBuckland

Post by TedBuckland »

Anyone who's been waiting on scholly info hear back yet? Or did anyone reach out to them and ask? I'm at the point where if I'm not getting anything that's fine, I'd just like to know so I can move on.
ThisIsMe18

Post by ThisIsMe18 »

TedBuckland wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 am Anyone who's been waiting on scholly info hear back yet? Or did anyone reach out to them and ask? I'm at the point where if I'm not getting anything that's fine, I'd just like to know so I can move on.
I haven’t, but I realized yesterday I didn’t have them on my FAFSA list so I changed that in hopes it would help. 🤷🏻‍♀️
bddbr

Post by bddbr »

Accepted today via email! Seems like your hear within a week via email?
bddbr

Post by bddbr »

bddbr wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:25 am Accepted today via email! Seems like your hear within a week via email?
Received scholarship info today!
BL2017

Post by BL2017 »

bddbr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:24 am
bddbr wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:25 am Accepted today via email! Seems like your hear within a week via email?
Received scholarship info today!

They must want you cause it's been 3 weeks for me and crickets...
TedBuckland

Post by TedBuckland »

So for everyone thats still waiting on scholarships, I emailed and asked about it. They said that if you don't have one by now, your chance of receiving one is about 40%. They are still getting the last of their money together and expect to have it all out by March 15th. If you haven't heard anything by then, don't anticipate getting one.
Zero Hedge

Post by Zero Hedge »

TedBuckland wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:40 pm So for everyone thats still waiting on scholarships, I emailed and asked about it. They said that if you don't have one by now, your chance of receiving one is about 40%. They are still getting the last of their money together and expect to have it all out by March 15th. If you haven't heard anything by then, don't anticipate getting one.
Interesting. I was admitted about 10 days ago and anticipated getting a scholarship based on previous years' data. I wonder if it's more likely if you've been admitted recently rather than if you've been waiting for longer. My guess would be yes but I'm surprised they gave you a hard % chance for all admits at this point.
DaydreamNation

Post by DaydreamNation »

Admitted via status checker this morning! LSAT well above 75th, GPA well below 25th. Any other splitters care to share how quickly they heard back about scholarships after being admitted? I understand from above comments that our chances of getting money this late are okay but not great...

Edit: Applied 1/19, complete 1/22
Zero Hedge

Post by Zero Hedge »

DaydreamNation wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:14 am Admitted via status checker this morning! LSAT well above 75th, GPA well below 25th. Any other splitters care to share how quickly they heard back about scholarships after being admitted? I understand from above comments that our chances of getting money this late are okay but not great...

Similar credentials. Admitted 2/19. Haven’t heard a peep regarding scholarships.
DaydreamNation

Post by DaydreamNation »

Zero Hedge wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 am
DaydreamNation wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:14 am Admitted via status checker this morning! LSAT well above 75th, GPA well below 25th. Any other splitters care to share how quickly they heard back about scholarships after being admitted? I understand from above comments that our chances of getting money this late are okay but not great...

Similar credentials. Admitted 2/19. Haven’t heard a peep regarding scholarships.
Yikes, not good news. Okay thanks for the info.
BL2017

Post by BL2017 »

Got the Iowa "funds have been depleted" email this morning.

"We appreciate your continuing interest in The University of Iowa College of Law.

It has been determined that our scholarship budget is depleted of scholarship funds, for now, and we are unable to award more scholarships at this time. We might be able to award more scholarships in the future. We will wait, however, until April 30 to determine whether or not we are in a position to award more scholarships. We will account for the tuition deposits received from our admitted student group; then, we will determine whether or not we are in a position to award more scholarships. We will award more scholarships if there are scholarship funds that have been forfeited, due to an admitted student’s decision to either attend another law school or pursue a different adventure.

I want to inform you about an alternative that can assist you with the management of the cost of attending law school at The University of Iowa College of Law: Research Assistant positions with the faculty at The College of Law. Information about our Law Research Assistant positions can be found on our web site, under the financial aid tab. (www.law.uiowa.edu/research-assistantships.) A brief summary of the financial and non-financial benefits of being a Research Assistant follows:

• Research Assistant positions are available beginning with the second year of law school;
• Research Assistants’ non-resident tuition rate is reduced to the resident tuition rate;
• Research Assistants’ health insurance coverage is subsidized at close to 90%;
• Research Assistants receive a paycheck for approximately $2,175 per year;
• Research Assistants will work with professors who are doing research and writing on topics of mutual interest;
• Research Assistants work for 10 hours a week;
• During the past decade, 95%-99% of the students who looked for a Research Assistant position have, historically, found one. The ability of The College of Law to place its students in Research Assistant positions is, as it has been in the past, subject to availability, and compliance with applicable law, University policy, rules and regulations.

I hope this information helps.

Sincerely,

Collins Byrd"
vikingrunner

Post by vikingrunner »

I feel like they probably threw a lot of money at people above their 75ths in order to solidify top 20ish status, and ran out pretty quick. That's what it looks like on LSN at least.
Major

Post by Major »

BL2017 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 am Got the Iowa "funds have been depleted" email this morning.

"We appreciate your continuing interest in The University of Iowa College of Law.

It has been determined that our scholarship budget is depleted of scholarship funds, for now, and we are unable to award more scholarships at this time. We might be able to award more scholarships in the future. We will wait, however, until April 30 to determine whether or not we are in a position to award more scholarships. We will account for the tuition deposits received from our admitted student group; then, we will determine whether or not we are in a position to award more scholarships. We will award more scholarships if there are scholarship funds that have been forfeited, due to an admitted student’s decision to either attend another law school or pursue a different adventure.

I want to inform you about an alternative that can assist you with the management of the cost of attending law school at The University of Iowa College of Law: Research Assistant positions with the faculty at The College of Law. Information about our Law Research Assistant positions can be found on our web site, under the financial aid tab. (www.law.uiowa.edu/research-assistantships.) A brief summary of the financial and non-financial benefits of being a Research Assistant follows:

• Research Assistant positions are available beginning with the second year of law school;
• Research Assistants’ non-resident tuition rate is reduced to the resident tuition rate;
• Research Assistants’ health insurance coverage is subsidized at close to 90%;
• Research Assistants receive a paycheck for approximately $2,175 per year;
• Research Assistants will work with professors who are doing research and writing on topics of mutual interest;
• Research Assistants work for 10 hours a week;
• During the past decade, 95%-99% of the students who looked for a Research Assistant position have, historically, found one. The ability of The College of Law to place its students in Research Assistant positions is, as it has been in the past, subject to availability, and compliance with applicable law, University policy, rules and regulations.

I hope this information helps.

Sincerely,

Collins Byrd"
d
Last edited by Major on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amrlaw

Post by amrlaw »

Just withdrew my acceptance with $$$. Hopefully that frees up some funds for someone else. Good luck to anyone waiting to hear back!
lqspring2k18

Post by lqspring2k18 »

I did not receive the "scholarship funds are depleted" email but I also have not received any award notification for a scholarship. Not sure what to think at this point, I was accepted 02/27.
Zero Hedge

Post by Zero Hedge »

lqspring2k18 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:27 am I did not receive the "scholarship funds are depleted" email but I also have not received any award notification for a scholarship. Not sure what to think at this point, I was accepted 02/27.
I was accepted about a week before you and am in the same situation. I'm just operating on the assumption that scholarship funds are depleted for all even though I didn't received the email either.
lqspring2k18

Post by lqspring2k18 »

Zero Hedge wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:23 am
lqspring2k18 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:27 am I did not receive the "scholarship funds are depleted" email but I also have not received any award notification for a scholarship. Not sure what to think at this point, I was accepted 02/27.
I was accepted about a week before you and am in the same situation. I'm just operating on the assumption that scholarship funds are depleted for all even though I didn't received the email either.
I looked at my Hawk IU portal and under "financial aid" and "award" I have a award letter from March 1 that tells me I did not get an award, but on the main page it says that nothing has been finalized and I am still under review. Does yours say something similar?
Zero Hedge

Post by Zero Hedge »

lqspring2k18 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:27 pm
Zero Hedge wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:23 am
I looked at my Hawk IU portal and under "financial aid" and "award" I have a award letter from March 1 that tells me I did not get an award, but on the main page it says that nothing has been finalized and I am still under review. Does yours say something similar?
My status checker says I'm complete and admitted. When I go to the financial aid --> award notification page on the Hawk IU portal it says "there is no award letter available."