How many months does is take to break 170?

Studying, strategy, waiting
CousinVinny

How many months does is take to break 170?

Post by CousinVinny » Fri May 04, 2018 8:04 pm

As a general rule how long does it take to break 170?

Platopus

Re: How many months does is take to break 170?

Post by Platopus » Fri May 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Depends on where you start... What's your diagnostic?

CousinVinny

Post by CousinVinny » Fri May 04, 2018 8:59 pm

152. I would like to know how long it took for others who frequent this forum

law

Post by law » Sat May 05, 2018 9:10 am

I would shoot for December. My diagnotic was a 145 in April of last year and went 159 on the sept test and 167 on the december test. Took about 40 practice tests overall, and only hit 170 once. 10-15 hrs week studying.

181plz

Post by 181plz » Sat May 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Different for everyone.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=943

Jack_Kelly

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Depends where your errors are. Mine were pretty much all AR and it took me 2-3 weeks (albeit an intense 2-3 weeks).

churner_throwaway-

Post by churner_throwaway- » Sun May 06, 2018 11:46 am

also depends on how you study. broke 170 in three months with the Testmasters in person course helping me out. diagnostic was 155.

CousinVinny

Post by CousinVinny » Tue May 08, 2018 12:59 am

churner_throwaway- wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:46 am
also depends on how you study. broke 170 in three months with the Testmasters in person course helping me out. diagnostic was 155.
How many hours per day/week were you putting in?

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Tue May 08, 2018 10:56 am

I don't want to cut you down here, but you might be hurting yourself by relying on other individual's experiences because their circumstances are almost certainly different from yours. You run the double risk of, first, making suboptimal study plans and, second, setting yourself up for disappointment.

The range of answers here runs from zero to infinity - I have a friend who hit a 172 cold and also some who simply can't get to 170 no matter what they do. It's just not useful information.

Platopus

Post by Platopus » Tue May 08, 2018 7:26 pm

icechicken wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:56 am
I don't want to cut you down here, but you might be hurting yourself by relying on other individual's experiences because their circumstances are almost certainly different from yours. You run the double risk of, first, making suboptimal study plans and, second, setting yourself up for disappointment.

The range of answers here runs from zero to infinity - I have a friend who hit a 172 cold and also some who simply can't get to 170 no matter what they do. It's just not useful information.
+1

OP, this is the wrong way to think about studying. Focus on just mastering the concepts, format and timing of the test, and the score will come naturally. LSAT studying is not a race or a competition (the test itself is of course both a race and a competition). There is no prize for hitting a 170 before someone else and schools don't ask how long it took you to study. And even so, hitting a random 170 early can actually be detrimental. I started at 160, was in the high 160's after a month and hit a 179 on my 2nd timed PT about 5 weeks in. I don't think I ever cracked 175 for the rest of my studying, so the 179 was a fluke and it was disheartening to fall right back into the high 160's after that.

CousinVinny

Post by CousinVinny » Tue May 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Platopus wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:26 pm
icechicken wrote:

+1

OP, this is the wrong way to think about studying. Focus on just mastering the concepts, format and timing of the test, and the score will come naturally. LSAT studying is not a race or a competition (the test itself is of course both a race and a competition). There is no prize for hitting a 170 before someone else and schools don't ask how long it took you to study. And even so, hitting a random 170 early can actually be detrimental. I started at 160, was in the high 160's after a month and hit a 179 on my 2nd timed PT about 5 weeks in. I don't think I ever cracked 175 for the rest of my studying, so the 179 was a fluke and it was disheartening to fall right back into the high 160's after that.
Appreciate the feedback. I would really like to break into the 170's by the time I write in July. I know how hard this is and I guess I'm just looking for reassurance to see if other people have done it in a similar time frame, because maybe deep down I don't actually know if I can do it.

Platopus

Post by Platopus » Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 pm

CousinVinny wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:30 pm
Platopus wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:26 pm
icechicken wrote:

+1

Appreciate the feedback. I would really like to break into the 170's by the time I write in July. I know how hard this is and I guess I'm just looking for reassurance to see if other people have done it in a similar time frame, because maybe deep down I don't actually know if I can do it.
It can definitely be done, and the apprehension is real for all of us. Just keep at the studying and it will happen when it happens.

app

Post by app » Tue May 08, 2018 10:48 pm

lots of good advice already in this thread.

i'd add that it really depends. some people while not having done direct prep for lsat before are already so familiar with the types of things this test evaluates (either through their upbringing in an academic setting with educated parents, or just doing puzzles or extensive reading throughout their lives, or some form of high-quality education or influence earlier in their lives), that they can do fairly well very soon. in a highly natural way, they have prepped for test throughout their lives through their social environment. but for most others it'd take a lot more time. i had an abysmally low diag and it took me a long time. yours is much better, but odds are july is probably not enough time where you could be certain to get such a score.