AU WCL -> GW/ Georgetown

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
Kya6

AU WCL -> GW/ Georgetown

Post by Kya6 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi everyone!

Was wondering if anyone had knowledge on the type of grades/class rank needed to transfer from WCL to GT/GW. I will be attending WCL on a full ride, and was just curious as to how challenging it is to complete this move. I know the conventional advice is to never attend a school with the intent on transferring, but due to the scholarship, I feel as I have substantially reduced my risk( would also be happy graduating from AU).

Thanks! :D

Eightnine

Re: AU WCL -> GW/ Georgetown

Post by Eightnine » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Are you prepared to pay full sticker for years 2 and 3 if you successfully get admitted as a transfer?

Kya6

Post by Kya6 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 pm

Not for GW, but most likely for Georgetown If that was a possibility. Was just curious to see what type of class rank I would need to even be considered

Eightnine

Post by Eightnine » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:20 pm

I think looking at American's 509 report probably gives you a better idea, but I'd hazard a guess that you need to be at in the top 10-top 20 % of your class to have a good shot at Georgetown.

Kya6

Post by Kya6 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks!

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Kya6 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 pm
Not for GW, but most likely for Georgetown If that was a possibility. Was just curious to see what type of class rank I would need to even be considered
Top 15% at AU the safe zone (although not guaranteed).

goldenbear2020

Post by goldenbear2020 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 am

Looking at GW's 509, I don't think it's that tough to transfer from AU. GW took a total of 67 transfers in 2017 with GPA quartiles of 3.13/3.33/3.44, including 30 from AU, 6 from Catholic, and a handful from even lower ranked schools. Since 45% of GW's transfers came from AU, even under the unlikely assumption that every AU transfer was at the top of the transfer GPA distribution, that implies a cutoff of about 3.35-3.40.

According to the distribution below, a 3.40 is top 1/3 at AU.
https://www.wcl.american.edu/academics/ ... -rankings/

kryptik

Post by kryptik » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:18 pm

I've always wondered why AU has so many transfers out, and to impressive places as well (6 to Harvard alone) for a school ranked in the 70s. Any insight?

notlegaladvice

Post by notlegaladvice » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:13 pm

kryptik wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:18 pm
I've always wondered why AU has so many transfers out, and to impressive places as well (6 to Harvard alone) for a school ranked in the 70s. Any insight?
AU was ranked in the 40s just a few years ago. It failed to reduce its class sizes, as other schools did, to remain selective as the number and quality of applicants dropped (and it likely did so, in large part, to pay for its new campus). Its median LSAT/GPA and employment numbers (and the school's ranking) fell, but as far as I can tell, it still has a good reputation in DC and to some extent NY. It moved up slightly in the rankings this year, and the bleeding appears to have stopped, but it's impossible to tell given the volatility of that segment of USNWR.

The students transferring to T6 schools from AU are at the top of the class and were reasonably likely to get a job anyway. Harvard, for instance, is happy to take top 5%/LR from AU because H doesn't have to report the low LSAT/GPA and can collect sticker tuition for two full years. Those students were also likely to pass the bar and get jobs, so it's a good investment with little risk of hurting their USNWR rankings. IMO, from a financial standpoint, those top-performing students would likely be better served staying at AU and continuing to take lots of money, given that top students don't appear to have trouble getting jobs. But I also understand that a prestige-driven student might rather respond *tilts head down* Harvard than American when asked where they went/go to law school.

GW, and GTown to some extent, has historically taken a ton of transfers from AU who, as noted in a post above, are somewhere in the middle of the pack. From a student's perspective, I understand the draw of better employment outcomes at the higher-ranked GW/GTown, but I don't know. I don't have data on whether mediocre grades at AU --> GW yields better employment outcomes or not.