UVA Law Students & Graduates Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
North

UVA Law Students & Graduates Taking Questions

Post by North » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:59 am

Wahoos taking questions ITT. I’m a couple years out.

Oh and FYI Pavilion is way overpriced don’t live there.

UVA2B

Re: UVA Law Students & Graduates Taking Questions

Post by UVA2B » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:59 am

Joining the question answering crowd as a current student.

Livejustly390

Post by Livejustly390 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:16 am

Yay! Can y’all give advice on good apartments to live in? It would be great if they’re semi nice, with a decent kitchen and hardwood floors. Obviously not necessary but it would be amazing.

LaLaLaw

Post by LaLaLaw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 am

Livejustly390 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:16 am
Yay! Can y’all give advice on good apartments to live in? It would be great if they’re semi nice, with a decent kitchen and hardwood floors. Obviously not necessary but it would be amazing.
Current UVA student. At UVA you can get 2 out of these 3: a nice/modern apartment, decently priced, or very close.

nice/modern apartment, very close --> Pavillion (note: the quality leaves something to be desired and management sucks)
Decently priced, very close --> Ivy apartments, Jeffersonian apartments, arlington apartments/condos (I dont think any of these have hardwood floors. They have galley, small kitchens)
Nice/modern, decently priced --> Any of the other apartments in Charlottesville, but they arent in walking distance.

legallybrunette

Post by legallybrunette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:59 am

LaLaLaw wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 am
Livejustly390 wrote:
Current UVA student. At UVA you can get 2 out of these 3: a nice/modern apartment, decently priced, or very close.

nice/modern apartment, very close --> Pavillion (note: the quality leaves something to be desired and management sucks)
Decently priced, very close --> Ivy apartments, Jeffersonian apartments, arlington apartments/condos (I dont think any of these have hardwood floors. They have galley, small kitchens)
Nice/modern, decently priced --> Any of the other apartments in Charlottesville, but they arent in walking distance.
Hopping on to this question... Is it necessary to be in an apartment walking distance from campus for studying and socializing purposes? I have a car that I'll be bringing so I personally don't mind driving as long as it's less than 30 mins to/from the law school, but of course I'll stick to the apartments nearby if there's some compelling reason to do so.

Also, just from quickly previewing a few places in the Ivy, it seems that in-unit washer/dryers aren't included. The Pavilion looks nice but a little pricey for Charlottesville. I'm looking at studios/1 bedrooms.

Sorry if these questions have been addressed in the old TLS forum, but I don't want them to get my clicks and whatnot!

LaLaLaw

Post by LaLaLaw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 am

legallybrunette wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:59 am
LaLaLaw wrote:
Livejustly390 wrote:

Hopping on to this question... Is it necessary to be in an apartment walking distance from campus for studying and socializing purposes? I have a car that I'll be bringing so I personally don't mind driving as long as it's less than 30 mins to/from the law school, but of course I'll stick to the apartments nearby if there's some compelling reason to do so.

Also, just from quickly previewing a few places in the Ivy, it seems that in-unit washer/dryers aren't included. The Pavilion looks nice but a little pricey for Charlottesville. I'm looking at studios/1 bedrooms.

Sorry if these questions have been addressed in the old TLS forum, but I don't want them to get my clicks and whatnot!
Yeah, neither Ivy, Jeffersonian, or the arlington apartments (I'm 100% sure about the arlington apartments) have in unit laundry, but there is laundry in the building.

It's sort of a personal decision whether you want to be near the law school. You can definitely study at the law school with a car without issue (although I think parking permits can be pricey like $800), but socializing is harder especially if you want to be able to drink. A lot of the parties/hang outs 1L year are at people's apartments near the law school, and then move to the bars at the "corner." It could be annoying if you always have to think about driving home afterwards or managing a car. That being said, people definitely do it and are happy with their decision!

My honest recommendation is to live nearby 1L, and then reevaluate where you want to live and the value of different places 2L & 3L.

North

Post by North » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:20 am

Livejustly390 wrote:
So they're not standardized in any way, but there are a good number of independent apartments and townhouses right along Arlington Blvd. I lived at one across the street from Pavilion when I was in LS -- paid half as much as the folks at Pav did and couldn't have been closer to the law school. The buildings tend to be older, but I don't think that's much of a drawback. My place did not have hardwood floors though, would have loved that.

Anyway, these places tend to be independently managed and are a bit more difficult to find listings for. When I was there, a number of the apartments/townhouses on Arlington I'm talking about were managed by Linda Owens (her email was lowens@cvilleofficespace.com). She was my landlord for all 3 years and is super nice. Aside from general Craigslist browsing, she would probably be a good person to reach out to to get an idea of what's available. I'm sure she's got some stuff with hardwood floors.

legallybrunette

Post by legallybrunette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 am

LaLaLaw wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 am
legallybrunette wrote:
LaLaLaw wrote:
Livejustly390 wrote:

Yeah, neither Ivy, Jeffersonian, or the arlington apartments (I'm 100% sure about the arlington apartments) have in unit laundry, but there is laundry in the building.

It's sort of a personal decision whether you want to be near the law school. You can definitely study at the law school with a car without issue (although I think parking permits can be pricey like $800), but socializing is harder especially if you want to be able to drink. A lot of the parties/hang outs 1L year are at people's apartments near the law school, and then move to the bars at the "corner." It could be annoying if you always have to think about driving home afterwards or managing a car. That being said, people definitely do it and are happy with their decision!

My honest recommendation is to live nearby 1L, and then reevaluate where you want to live and the value of different places 2L & 3L.
Hmm, definitely all good things to think about! What is "nearby" though? Walking distance, or is a 5-10 minute drive still considered "nearby"? I live in a place where traffic is horrendous and most people have to deal with 1+ hour traffic one way to work and 30+ minutes to school (when I was in undergrad). I also use Uber a lot so I don't really worry about my car when socializing here, and I didn't really have trouble with Uber when I was in Charlottesville before! Not sure if that's a usual thing though.

North

Post by North » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 am

LaLaLaw wrote:
Agree with this.

Livejustly390

Post by Livejustly390 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:23 am

North wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:20 am
Livejustly390 wrote:
So they're not standardized in any way, but there are a good number of independent apartments and townhouses right along Arlington Blvd. I lived at one across the street from Pavilion when I was in LS -- paid half as much as the folks at Pav did and couldn't have been closer to the law school. The buildings tend to be older, but I don't think that's much of a drawback. My place did not have hardwood floors though, would have loved that.

Anyway, these places tend to be independently managed and are a bit more difficult to find listings for. When I was there, a number of the apartments/townhouses on Arlington I'm talking about were managed by Linda Owens (her email was lowens@cvilleofficespace.com). She was my landlord for all 3 years and is super nice. Aside from general Craigslist browsing, she would probably be a good person to reach out to to get an idea of what's available. I'm sure she's got some stuff with hardwood floors.
I’ve been wondering where all those independent listings are!!! This is super valuable info. Thank you!

LaLaLaw

Post by LaLaLaw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 am

legallybrunette wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 am
LaLaLaw wrote:
legallybrunette wrote:
LaLaLaw wrote:
Livejustly390 wrote:

Hmm, definitely all good things to think about! What is "nearby" though? Walking distance, or is a 5-10 minute drive still considered "nearby"? I live in a place where traffic is horrendous and most people have to deal with 1+ hour traffic one way to work and 30+ minutes to school (when I was in undergrad). I also use Uber a lot so I don't really worry about my car when socializing here, and I didn't really have trouble with Uber when I was in Charlottesville before! Not sure if that's a usual thing though.
"nearby" at UVA Law is like within 500 feet of the law school? This might be a slight exaggeration, but it's basically the apartments listed above which are within a 5-7 minute walk to the law school.

People definitely use Uber a lot here, but in my experience the surcharges can get annoying and unpredictably change costs dramatically within an area. Also, once you adjust to Charlottesville prices, you may not want to spend $10 to get to a house party, $10 to get to the bars, and then $10 to get home. Now some of those ubers you may be able to split with others, but if you live away from most other law students then you probably wont be able to split the first and last one. Of course, you know best what trade offs you are and are not willing to make. But nothing in Charlottesville is going to be a 1+ hour commute, and one of the things I love most about this city is how easy it is to get around. When I graduate I am going to miss my 5 minute walking commute A TON.

somelawperson

Post by somelawperson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 am

Last edited by somelawperson on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legallybrunette

Post by legallybrunette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:55 am

Rowdy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 am
How good is the clerkship office really?
Oooh good one! +1 to this question!!!

LaLaLaw

Post by LaLaLaw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:04 am

Rowdy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 am
How good is the clerkship office really?
I dont have personal experience, but based on second hand knowledge--very good. Getting a clerkship is very much based on grades and relationships with professors, and the clerkship office doesnt change that, but they seem to have the knowledge and data to help you target the right judges and develop the best strategy.

edit: To add to this: My friends that wanted to clerk all seem to have clerkships lined up that they are happy with. I'm not sure if it was their first choice location or judge and not all of the clerkships are for directly after graduation, but they seem happy with the outcome.

Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:23 am

How quickly do the apartments right by the law school go? I'm in but still waiting on Scholly info so I probably won't be making a decision until March/April. Will there still be availability then? I'd prefer a 1 bedroom/studio to myself.

bojack93

Post by bojack93 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:34 am

North wrote:
Livejustly390 wrote:

Did you have roommates? How many bedrooms are typically in the townhouses?

North

Post by North » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:46 am

bojack93 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:34 am
North wrote:
Livejustly390 wrote:

Did you have roommates? How many bedrooms are typically in the townhouses?
Not sure about the townhouses (mine was an apartment), but I had one roommate in a 2BR/1BA.

LaLaLaw

Post by LaLaLaw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:23 am
How quickly do the apartments right by the law school go? I'm in but still waiting on Scholly info so I probably won't be making a decision until March/April. Will there still be availability then? I'd prefer a 1 bedroom/studio to myself.
The Jeffersonian usually fills up pretty quick, especially if you want a 1 bedroom which there arent that many of. At this point, they may already even be filled. Ivy and Pavillion I think usually have availability for longer. Arlington, as was mentioned, can vary depending on when the owner/managers begin advertising them. March / April is not that late though to start looking, so I imagine it wont be too hard to find something.

PurpleOkapi

Post by PurpleOkapi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:44 pm

On-grounds housing has a lengthy list of prohibited items. Could running afoul of these rules be considered an honor violation?

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:47 pm

PurpleOkapi wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:44 pm
On-grounds housing has a lengthy list of prohibited items. Could running afoul of these rules be considered an honor violation?
You will not want to live on grounds as a law student. That solves this problem (but to be clear, violation of these rules would fall under UJC, not honor).

PurpleOkapi

Post by PurpleOkapi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:50 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:47 pm
PurpleOkapi wrote:
You will not want to live on grounds as a law student. That solves this problem (but to be clear, violation of these rules would fall under UJC, not honor).
Thanks! But why not? As far as I can tell, it's by far the cheapest option that's close to the school.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:51 pm

LaLaLaw wrote:
legallybrunette wrote:
LaLaLaw wrote:
Livejustly390 wrote:

Just want to dispel the parking cost here. It’s not cheap for the D3 lot closest to the school, but it’s only like $360 for the year (don’t remember exactly how much I paid, but it definitely wasn’t anywhere close to $800. Everything else is completely valid.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:54 pm

PurpleOkapi wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:50 pm
UVA2B wrote:
PurpleOkapi wrote:
Thanks! But why not? As far as I can tell, it's by far the cheapest option that's close to the school.
The only on grounds housing close to the law school on north grounds is family housing (Copeley), and the apartments near the law school are close in price while not having unnecessary living restrictions with it.

FWIW, I’m not even sure law students are eligible for housing on main grounds (can’t say either way, but I’ve never known anyone to live in on-grounds housing).

LaLaLaw

Post by LaLaLaw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:54 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:51 pm
LaLaLaw wrote:
legallybrunette wrote:
LaLaLaw wrote:
Livejustly390 wrote:

Just want to dispel the parking cost here. It’s not cheap for the D3 lot closest to the school, but it’s only like $360 for the year (don’t remember exactly how much I paid, but it definitely wasn’t anywhere close to $800. Everything else is completely valid.

My bad. I stand corrected. :)

LaLaLaw

Post by LaLaLaw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:57 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:54 pm
PurpleOkapi wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:50 pm
UVA2B wrote:
PurpleOkapi wrote:
The only on grounds housing close to the law school on north grounds is family housing (Copeley), and the apartments near the law school are close in price while not having unnecessary living restrictions with it.

FWIW, I’m not even sure law students are eligible for housing on main grounds (can’t say either way, but I’ve never known anyone to live in on-grounds housing).
^thats all true. It’s very unusual to live in university housing. I dont know anyone that does.