reapply/retake question?

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
app

reapply/retake question?

Post by app » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:54 pm

*pls don't quote

I'd applied to t6 a few years ago with a low 170s score. I was either wl/rejected or just rejected. I have a job in tech but had been planning to change career, and figure that T6 or H specially can be worth the opportunity cost.
My lsat score is about to expire at 5 years old. Since then the test has changed to Computer, which i think makes the test much more difficult.
I'm thinking of reapplying to T6, but it looks like my chances would be even worse than they were a few years ago due to higher medians and earlier rejections.
There is also another option of not taking LSAT and instead taking GRE, which is much easier unlike LSAT.

any chance of success with reapplication?
should i retake either lsat or gre?

pancakes3

Re: reapply/retake question?

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:12 pm

T13 with scholly is still a credited answer, don't have to shoot for CCN or bust.

I don't have an opinion on GRE v LSAT other than I don't think the GRE is a bypass around having good standardized scores. I'm sure adcomms have adjusted, and even if you're in the nth percentile of GRE takers, it's probably curved relative to the nth percentile of GRE-taking LS applicants.

also, standard: what are you career goals, what do you want to do, what's your GPA questions.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:29 pm

Yeah absolutely no reason to limit yourself to t6 and there’s literally never a reason to go to h (b/c if you get in there you almost certainly got a better financial offer somewhere else).

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:48 pm

Okay, why do you think the computer LSAT makes it harder? Hasn't that been what's driving the higher medians, because more folks are able to get 170+ scores on the computer with one fewer section?

But yes, you should be applying to at least the whole T13. There are plenty of options outside YHSCCN that should produce great career outcomes for less money.

Story

Post by Story » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Go Reapply to the T14, young man

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:13 pm

I'd reapply and shoot for the T13/14, like others have mentioned. You have a great LSAT score that should get you good scholarship money elsewhere.

What's your GPA, if you don't mind me asking? Really a bummer that your LSAT score didn't get you into a T6 when you first applied. And let us know if you need someone to look at your essays (I am not volunteering myself, but I know we generally have posters that are very happy to help :lol: ).

Barry

Post by Barry » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:22 pm

I'm 100% team retake until you matriculate tbh. So, obligatory:

LSAT?
GPA?
and:
also, standard: what are you career goals, what do you want to do
Also, what do you currently make in tech? Law school is three years of no income (and debt) at worst, and three years with two biglaw SAs at best (so 80k minus living expenses, but most people only get one SA so half that income). There is a very dramatic time value cost to that if you're already making six figures. But if this isn't about money maybe disregard that.

app

Post by app » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:54 am

*pls don't quote

ug is foreign so doesn't count toward reported gpa. it's around 8 on a 10 scale which when scaled is poor 3.2/4, but it was reported as a superior gpa. could that be keeping me out of h or t6?
goal is academia if at all possible or something close to it, but anything i read about how hard it is to get it has been discouraging. https://cyber.harvard.edu/ seems to do strong work in tech/law but i guess they only take people with exemplary credentials.

app

Post by app » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:04 am

Stranger wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:48 pm
*pls don't quote

i find computer LSAT much harder because of RC and LG on computer screen. there is a very different feel to underlining and reading on paper and having the snapshot of the whole passage on one-page in RC. on computer there is constant scrolling back and forth and switching between types of cursor to highlight or underline etc. too different for an old timer like me.
LG is worse i think. just diagramming on paper there is lots of eye movement from screen to paper when reading rules to diagram. also for each answer choices earlier on paper you could do a mini-diagram in front of the choice but now it gets harder to keep track of diagram for an AC.

i don't fully understand how medians are getting so high and people scoring higher. may be they are new gen more comfortable with computers? but lsat was a very tough test for me, esp RC. i was always rushed in rc. i think it's even tougher doing it on computer.

Nony

Post by Nony » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:12 am

I’d imagine the one fewer section would make a big difference. Lots of people have stamina issues and less exam to do would help.