Urgent decision : dilemma

Post Reply
eagletwwww

Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by eagletwwww » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:16 pm

Hello everyone,


I am currently in a T14 (1L). I failed my legal writing class - due to health problems. I had a meeting with my professor and the Dean, and they told me about the possibility of taking a health leave so that the grade would not appear on my transcript. But if I do, I will not have the option to take my 1st-semester exams, and I will not be able to enroll for the Spring semester.

Because I have debts, I want to work in big law. But I am worried that this failing grade will impact too much my employment prospects.

So I can take my upcoming exams, with the risk of doing badly (I don't feel particularly confident), and thus be in a terrible position. Or come back the next year and start over in 1L, but with more debts and without the certainty that I will do tremendously better than this semester.

The only thing, though, is that if I take a leave, I will have to pay for the full tuition of the 1L semester.

I need to decide before tomorrow. What do you advise?

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 10303
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Nony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:14 pm

That's a tough one. I think that unless there's some really great explanation for why you failed you kind of need to take medical leave, especially since you don't feel confident about the rest of your exams. Although - presumably you'll have to retake legal writing if you fail it, right? What happens to the grade if you retake?

Guest

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:26 pm

Nony wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:14 pm
That's a tough one. I think that unless there's some really great explanation for why you failed you kind of need to take medical leave, especially since you don't feel confident about the rest of your exams. Although - presumably you'll have to retake legal writing if you fail it, right? What happens to the grade if you retake?


Thank you for your answer

the F will not appear on the transcript because I will basically repeat the year

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 1933
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by waldorf » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:38 pm

What kind of T14 fails someone due to health problems? That’s insane. I would try to fight back on that.

If you retake legal writing next semester, will the F appear on your transcript for OCI?

Guest

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:52 pm

waldorf wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:38 pm
What kind of T14 fails someone due to health problems? That’s insane. I would try to fight back on that.

If you retake legal writing next semester, will the F appear on your transcript for OCI?
We have legal writing both semesters in 1L ...

They did not talk about retaking the class. I don't feel like they would allow me to retake it...

Guest

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:54 pm

waldorf wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:38 pm
What kind of T14 fails someone due to health problems? That’s insane. I would try to fight back on that.

If you retake legal writing next semester, will the F appear on your transcript for OCI?

If I retake legal writing in fall 2022, the F will not appear on my transcript for OCI

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy
Posts: 16909
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:08 pm

tough situation but i would take the leave. can always address loans through PSLF/PAYE

User avatar
Johannes
Posts: 17289
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Johannes » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:21 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:08 pm
tough situation but i would take the leave. can always address loans through PSLF/PAYE

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2490
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by haus » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:29 pm

This stinks.

If there is no other reasonable way to salvage the legal writing grade, I would strongly lean towards thanking the leave.

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 10303
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Nony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 pm

Guest wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:26 pm
Nony wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:14 pm
That's a tough one. I think that unless there's some really great explanation for why you failed you kind of need to take medical leave, especially since you don't feel confident about the rest of your exams. Although - presumably you'll have to retake legal writing if you fail it, right? What happens to the grade if you retake?


Thank you for your answer

the F will not appear on the transcript because I will basically repeat the year
I meant if you keep the F and keep going. At most schools I'm familiar with, legal writing is a required course, which means you can't get your JD without passing it. Or do they average this semester with next semester?

(re: failing due to health problems - it's kind of hard to say. If the health problems just kept the OP from doing the work, it's hard not to fail that, though something like an incomplete might be an option?)

Guest

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:52 pm

Nony wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 pm
Guest wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:26 pm
Nony wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:14 pm
That's a tough one. I think that unless there's some really great explanation for why you failed you kind of need to take medical leave, especially since you don't feel confident about the rest of your exams. Although - presumably you'll have to retake legal writing if you fail it, right? What happens to the grade if you retake?


Thank you for your answer

the F will not appear on the transcript because I will basically repeat the year
I meant if you keep the F and keep going. At most schools I'm familiar with, legal writing is a required course, which means you can't get your JD without passing it. Or do they average this semester with next semester?

(re: failing due to health problems - it's kind of hard to say. If the health problems just kept the OP from doing the work, it's hard not to fail that, though something like an incomplete might be an option?)

they average this semester with the next

User avatar
Barry
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Barry » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:11 pm

I can't believe any legal writing professor would be this cruel. I agree with BU and Johannes on taking leave. An F would probably handicap the traditional t14 OCI biglaw route.

User avatar
pneumonia
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:35 am

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by pneumonia » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:17 pm

I agree that you should take the health leave. Even if your health problems have no effect on your other exams, and no effects on next semester, you can't assume better than median in any class. And that gives you a two-semester average LRW grade of what: B-? C+? This is a really unfortuante situation, and I'm sorry that you're in it, but you should take the leave. You may feel down in the dumps about that decision over the next year, but that's better than missing Biglaw altogether and feeling bad about law school forever.

User avatar
Hennessy
Posts: 6756
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Hennessy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:32 pm

How t14 of a t14 are we talking

You might not be foreclosed from BL if you take the leave and redo

User avatar
Danger Zone
Moderator
Posts: 4208
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:21 am

Sorry for mistakenly banning your account yesterday OP 😬 It is now unbanned and can be used again

User avatar
Hennessy
Posts: 6756
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Hennessy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:42 am

Ur the worst mod and it's not even close

User avatar
Danger Zone
Moderator
Posts: 4208
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:43 am

Thanks ❤️

Story
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Story » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:37 am

Redo 1L.

As long as the F will not show up. I would get some type of confirmation of that in writing.

Good luck, OP. What a terrible situation. Hard to believe it couldn’t be avoided.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 7430
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:00 am

It definitely sucks but being explaining the health reasons for a withdrawal at 2023 OCI is much preferable to explaining an F and mediocre grades + a pending retake for 2022 OCI. your transcript not showing a legal writing grade will prompt questions and the natural followup question would be - why didn't you withdraw if you had health issues?

and yeah, i acknowledge how shitty of a situation is, and incurring additional debt, but for BL outcomes, the better option is to withdraw and try again.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 11857
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: Urgent decision : dilemma

Post by Nebby » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:24 pm

Barry wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:11 pm
I can't believe any legal writing professor would be this cruel. I agree with BU and Johannes on taking leave. An F would probably handicap the traditional t14 OCI biglaw route.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests