Degrees/certifications to get after JD?

pipedream

Degrees/certifications to get after JD?

Post by pipedream » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:15 pm

I'm currently a 3L and have been using the GI Bill for law school. I'll have three semesters of tuition coverage left when I graduate. Are there any degrees or certifications that would work particularly well with a JD? (Not necessarily as something to pursue right away, though that's not entirely out of the question.)

I'm tentatively going to use it for a "hobby" degree somewhere down the line, but I'm curious if there's anything someone recommends targeting.

Story

Re: Degrees/certifications to get after JD?

Post by Story » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:53 pm

What are your career goals?

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:04 pm

pipedream wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:15 pm
I'm currently a 3L and have been using the GI Bill for law school. I'll have three semesters of tuition coverage left when I graduate. Are there any degrees or certifications that would work particularly well with a JD? (Not necessarily as something to pursue right away, though that's not entirely out of the question.)

I'm tentatively going to use it for a "hobby" degree somewhere down the line, but I'm curious if there's anything someone recommends targeting.
idea sounds good in theory but in practice there's a lot of career risk to jumping out of the legal pipeline once you get in without a very specific goal in mind, e.g., an MPH might help if you want to go in-house at a hospital or pharma company, but would be almost entirely useless otherwise. MBA is the obvious answer, but it requires more school than you have GI bill left and only really makes sense if you want to jump to the business side of things.

I guess the most broadly useful program would probably be some sort of accounting degree. comes up all the time in all sorts of contexts.

bottom line is you shouldn't feel the need to use up the rest of your gi bill. more often than not, the opportunity cost of going back to school is going to outweigh any fringe benefits.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:09 pm

can't you also transfer unused GI benefits to a spouse or child?

Fiero85

Post by Fiero85 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:46 pm

I saw the important "career goals" Q, but has anyone asked whether OP has a post-graduation job in hand? Pretty big factor