Anyone here who left a safe/golden-handcuffs career?

guestop

Anyone here who left a safe/golden-handcuffs career?

Post by guestop » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:10 pm

Anyone here who left golden-handcuffs in a job or a relatively well paying career for a rough-n-tumble job, uncertain path, went back to school to pursue a passion? if so, how did it go for you?

what steps you took to convince yourself to leave a safe job or golden handcuffs behind? could you share how were you able to embrace the tougher path?

haus

Re: Anyone here who left a safe/golden-handcuffs career?

Post by haus » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:28 pm

I left a very safe position as with the federal government to take a role with a cloud services company.

It was an interesting experience, and I made a bit more money in the short run, but it is significantly muted when considering what I would have received in retirement benefits. After about a year and a half I decided that I had enough and moved onto another challenge with a digital forensics/incident response firm, which was long hours, highly stressed clients, but a good learning experience.

While the safe path would have been easier, I have enjoyed the opportunities that I have had over the last few years.

guestop

Post by guestop » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:46 pm

haus wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:28 pm
I left a very safe position as with the federal government to take a role with a cloud services company.

It was an interesting experience, and I made a bit more money in the short run, but it is significantly muted when considering what I would have received in retirement benefits. After about a year and a half I decided that I had enough and moved onto another challenge with a digital forensics/incident response firm, which was long hours, highly stressed clients, but a good learning experience.

While the safe path would have been easier, I have enjoyed the opportunities that I have had over the last few years.
going in cloud services money could have had large upside in the long-term too? may be that's what part of your calculus didn't materialize, or what truly made you do it?

haus

Post by haus » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:58 pm

The money was not dramatically different. In part this was because I was with a government agency that was on a different pay scale than most.

The biggest driver in making the change was that most orgs (government and otherwise) were moving more and more of their IT efforts to cloud companies. Given that my career is in InfoSec, it seemed that taking a InfoSec role for a well known cloud company could potentially open additional doors for me down the road.

It did not hurt that the commute was easier.

guestop

Post by guestop » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:40 pm

haus wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:58 pm
The money was not dramatically different. In part this was because I was with a government agency that was on a different pay scale than most.

The biggest driver in making the change was that most orgs (government and otherwise) were moving more and more of their IT efforts to cloud companies. Given that my career is in InfoSec, it seemed that taking a InfoSec role for a well known cloud company could potentially open additional doors for me down the road.

It did not hurt that the commute was easier.
interesting. yeah with money being somewhat same it makes sense.

anyone here who left a lot of money to pursue something much low-paying or get a degree pure out of interest/passion?

64Fl

Post by 64Fl » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:44 pm

guestop wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:40 pm

interesting. yeah with money being somewhat same it makes sense.

anyone here who left a lot of money to pursue something much low-paying or get a degree pure out of interest/passion?
Haven't yet, but this is the plan in a little over another year. I'm expecting a 70% pay cut. I know it'll be worth it solely due to the fact that I hate big firm work so much that I'd never think leaving to something else would be a mistake, regardless of the pay.