duke, uva, cornell, or retake

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Nebby

Re: duke, uva, cornell, or retake

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:17 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:11 pm
Congrats!

DankHill

Post by DankHill » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:29 am

Last edited by DankHill on Wed May 05, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:09 am

i think it's worth a LOCI being assertive (not pushy) that you'd appreciate a decision sooner rather than later. a Yale/Stanford admission is worth considering imo.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:09 pm

Don't think either Y or S are worth sticker compared to UVA @ 110k

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:23 pm

It's at least worth considering - you can always turn down an offer if you get it later. I'd say go ahead with the LOCI!

DankHill

Post by DankHill » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm

Last edited by DankHill on Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DankHill

Post by DankHill » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:00 pm

Last edited by DankHill on Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:30 pm

DankHill wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm
Nebby wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:09 pm
Don't think either Y or S are worth sticker compared to UVA @ 110k
Because the bulk of students get BL anyway?
There actually aren't as many students from Yale and Stanford going into big law as at other top schools - HYS can set you up for those unicorn PI jobs better than other schools. Check out the distribution of jobs at Yale and Stanford compared to UVA - more people are heading to clerkships or public interest positions after law school.
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/yale
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/stanford
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/uva
But UVA with a steep discount + DC big law + government position once you're more experienced can also get you where you want to be (while also netting some serious savings given the low loans you'll have to take out), which I think is Nebby's point.

app

Post by app » Sat May 01, 2021 2:15 am

DankHill wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:09 pm
Hey_Everybody wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:05 pm
Seems like you underperformed your stats a little. I had a slightly lower LSAT and much lower GPA and I'll be graduating from a mid-T14 with only a slightly higher debt load than you're looking at at UVA/Duke/Cornell. But maybe that LSAT flex thing really has things all messed up. I definitely don't think you'll be forced into biglaw with that debt load. Especially because in any gov position you'll be eligible for PSLF. Not really sure about fed gov stuff, but I think a median T14 student with the right kind of experience would be competitive for city attorney positions in areas where they have ties. I don't know about biglaw at all really, but I think a median student at any of those schools should obviously have no issue landing biglaw if that's what they wanted. Don't think UCLA or Vandy are gonna be worth saving that little bit of money unless one of those is in one of the markets where you have ties and want to end up, if you're gonna attend next year I'd probably go with one of the T14 schools where you got in. Same with Wash U, but at least there your savings are a little more substantial.
The LSAT Flex has absolutely scrambled the equation - I went in expecting to be competitive for a Dillard, but everyone seems to have scored 170 plus. What do you mean by the "right kind of experience" for city attorney positions in areas where I have ties - do you mean pre-LS work experience, or internships/externships while in LS?
anyone know why is it that scores are getting higher with flex?
it's only 3 sections, but there are couple of things that are worse than paper-based test i think.
i felt RC reading on computer is way worse than on paper. can't underline as easily so might not underline at all. scrolling up and down hard to keep track of the passage.
i tried doing LG on computer-test. felt much more difficult, as need to draw and redraw diagrams, and constantly for each AC look up and down from computer to paper. on paper-test one could simply draw small diagram next to each AC, and reuse them. looks like all this should've offset any advantage of less fatigue due to shorter test.

DankHill

Post by DankHill » Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 am

Last edited by DankHill on Wed May 05, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

app

Post by app » Sat May 01, 2021 4:37 pm

DankHill wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 am
app wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:15 am
DankHill wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:09 pm
Hey_Everybody wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:05 pm
Seems like you underperformed your stats a little. I had a slightly lower LSAT and much lower GPA and I'll be graduating from a mid-T14 with only a slightly higher debt load than you're looking at at UVA/Duke/Cornell. But maybe that LSAT flex thing really has things all messed up. I definitely don't think you'll be forced into biglaw with that debt load. Especially because in any gov position you'll be eligible for PSLF. Not really sure about fed gov stuff, but I think a median T14 student with the right kind of experience would be competitive for city attorney positions in areas where they have ties. I don't know about biglaw at all really, but I think a median student at any of those schools should obviously have no issue landing biglaw if that's what they wanted. Don't think UCLA or Vandy are gonna be worth saving that little bit of money unless one of those is in one of the markets where you have ties and want to end up, if you're gonna attend next year I'd probably go with one of the T14 schools where you got in. Same with Wash U, but at least there your savings are a little more substantial.
The LSAT Flex has absolutely scrambled the equation - I went in expecting to be competitive for a Dillard, but everyone seems to have scored 170 plus. What do you mean by the "right kind of experience" for city attorney positions in areas where I have ties - do you mean pre-LS work experience, or internships/externships while in LS?
anyone know why is it that scores are getting higher with flex?
it's only 3 sections, but there are couple of things that are worse than paper-based test i think.
i felt RC reading on computer is way worse than on paper. can't underline as easily so might not underline at all. scrolling up and down hard to keep track of the passage.
i tried doing LG on computer-test. felt much more difficult, as need to draw and redraw diagrams, and constantly for each AC look up and down from computer to paper. on paper-test one could simply draw small diagram next to each AC, and reuse them. looks like all this should've offset any advantage of less fatigue due to shorter test.
Don't know why. I think if LSAC knew why, it wouldn't be such an issue (or perhaps they do know but don't want to abandon the Flex). Cannot recommend applying now without a pretty high GPA or excellent soft factors. You're simply competing with too many other high scorers. It sucks, but I would give it a couple years to have them sort the test out.
saw your numbers in the op. that's like p much in at h in cycles before 2017. did you apply there?

i think in the future they score only 3 sections, but will have an experimental, so it's just flex. still, placing such high premium for admissions on each of the 75-76 scored questions is kinda senseless.

DankHill

Post by DankHill » Sat May 01, 2021 5:53 pm