CUNY Law vs New York Law School

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
BlueNova

CUNY Law vs New York Law School

Post by BlueNova » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:40 pm

Hello everyone. I am going to be an evening law school student. I am currently employed, and graduated college 10 years ago manga cum laude. I have been accepted to CUNY Law with no scholarship and New York Law School with a $35,000 scholarship contingent on maintaining a 3.0 or being in the top half of the class. The cost of attendance at CUNY is $15,000 the first year, $10,600 after that, for a total of $46,800 after 4 years. New York Law School would work out to about a total of $28,000 after 4 years, again contingent on a 3.0 GPA or being in the top 50% each year. Any advice on which I should choose? Thank you!

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Re: CUNY Law vs New York Law School

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 pm

What do you want a law degree for? Is it connected to your current job?

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:11 pm

Neither.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:40 pm

Yeah, knowing your goals and current employment would be helpful, especially for explaining why you're determined to go to law school part time rather than going the traditional route (and yes, I get that you're a non-traditional student--so am I, but I still went full-time).

BlueNova

Post by BlueNova » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:22 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 pm
Hi. Thank you for your reply! Yes, the law degree would help me with promotional opportunities at my current job in security. I could also become a lawyer on the side or as a second career if I choose to retire early from my current position.

BlueNova

Post by BlueNova » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:25 pm

Stranger wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:40 pm
Yeah, knowing your goals and current employment would be helpful, especially for explaining why you're determined to go to law school part time rather than going the traditional route (and yes, I get that you're a non-traditional student--so am I, but I still went full-time).
Hi. Thanks for your reply! I am an executive in security and a law degree would help me with promotional opportunities in my organization. I could also be a lawyer on the side or practice full-time if I choose to retire early from my current job. There is no way I can attend law school full time with my current full time job. Even attending part time will be challenging.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:55 pm

BlueNova wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:22 pm
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Hi. Thank you for your reply! Yes, the law degree would help me with promotional opportunities at my current job in security. I could also become a lawyer on the side or as a second career if I choose to retire early from my current position.
Unfortunately, I don’t know that you’ll get a lot of useful info on this site then.

I don’t think lawyer as a side hustle is really a viable thing. And if you don’t go into a legal career path immediately following law school, then it’s almost impossible to become a lawyer later on. My strong advice would be to put both of those ideas out of mind and only go if you think it will be worth the time effort and money for promotion in your current job. If I had to guess, an MBA would be a much better option, but you know your career better than I do.

One cautionary note: lots of people will lose their scholarships at NYLS. It’s not a work effort thing, law school grading is done on strict curves so you could load up your class with the most talented legal minds of a generation and a significant percent would lose their schollys. Unless it’s not conditional on anything other than good standing, the scholarship offer should basically be counted as worthless past the first year.

Other than that, it literally doesn’t matter which one you pick. Neither is a good *law school*, and both would be a huge waste of your GPA if you were trying to be a lawyer, but since you’re not it doesn’t really matter. Try to negotiate with NYLS to get them to drop the conditions on your scholarship offer. If they won’t, CUNY is miles better.

But, seriously, if you just need a professional degree to climb the ladder, think twice about a JD. MBA is a vastly superior option for that.

Story

Post by Story » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:13 am

I didn’t know that law school part-time was so relatively cheap.

Would you be in debt after LS?

How sure are you that law degree will lead to promotion? How do you know this?

Hennessy

Post by Hennessy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:30 am

NYLS is not good unless you can go for $0 total cost of attendance and have a job lined up at a small firm or something

CUNY is a great school only for people who want to go into government or small-time public interest

Absolutely do not go to a school with a GPA stipulation attached to your scholarship.

If "promotional opportunities" come with a >$10k salary increase and your job would be ok with you going to CUNY and all of that is a sure thing then yeah by all means go for it

btw law school is hell

Hey_Everybody

Post by Hey_Everybody » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 am

CUNY has a 75% employment score on LST, the degree is far from worthless. And $15k a year is amazingly cheap. For that price I don't think there's any real harm in going for it. Other than your life being consumed by part-time law school for years, which does sound pretty awful.

BlueNova

Post by BlueNova » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:01 pm

Hey_Everybody wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 am
CUNY has a 75% employment score on LST, the degree is far from worthless. And $15k a year is amazingly cheap. For that price I don't think there's any real harm in going for it. Other than your life being consumed by part-time law school for years, which does sound pretty awful.
Thank you! It’s only $15,000 for the first year part time and $10,000/yr after that!

BlueNova

Post by BlueNova » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:14 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:55 pm
BlueNova wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:22 pm
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Unfortunately, I don’t know that you’ll get a lot of useful info on this site then.

I don’t think lawyer as a side hustle is really a viable thing. And if you don’t go into a legal career path immediately following law school, then it’s almost impossible to become a lawyer later on. My strong advice would be to put both of those ideas out of mind and only go if you think it will be worth the time effort and money for promotion in your current job. If I had to guess, an MBA would be a much better option, but you know your career better than I do.

One cautionary note: lots of people will lose their scholarships at NYLS. It’s not a work effort thing, law school grading is done on strict curves so you could load up your class with the most talented legal minds of a generation and a significant percent would lose their schollys. Unless it’s not conditional on anything other than good standing, the scholarship offer should basically be counted as worthless past the first year.

Other than that, it literally doesn’t matter which one you pick. Neither is a good *law school*, and both would be a huge waste of your GPA if you were trying to be a lawyer, but since you’re not it doesn’t really matter. Try to negotiate with NYLS to get them to drop the conditions on your scholarship offer. If they won’t, CUNY is miles better.

But, seriously, if you just need a professional degree to climb the ladder, think twice about a JD. MBA is a vastly superior option for that.
Thank you. I already asked and NYLS will not drop the conditions from the scholarship offer. I’m needed at my job strictly for my know-how as it relates to security and the law. My position has nothing to do with business acumen.

Hennessy

Post by Hennessy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:40 pm

Hey_Everybody wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 am
The 75% employment is because it's a local government feeder. That's great. I think CUNY is a great school for what it does, and sometimes I wish I had gone there myself.

It doesn't change the fact that this dude isn't interested in working for the Law Department, and instead wants to drop $35k or more on a degree that (so far in the thread) has not shown itself to be useful to his career

haus

Post by haus » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 pm

I went to a part-time program while keeping working full time on the career path I had been on for many years. When I started down this path, I had no intent of making a major career plan, instead I was looking to alter the path that I was already on. The common advise is that this is a losing proposition.

As far as at the role that my legal education will play in what is left of my career, it is too early to tell. So far, I am happy with the path that I have taken. It is possible that my existing career path (InfoSec) was an easier path to pull off the connection with law if for no other reason that there is a growing interest in law and InfoSe matters and lack of people geared up for this niche.

I was not interested in going full-time because I felt that the experience that I was gaining at work was too valuable to walk away from. Also I was the sole breadwinner in the family and stepping away from a good salary and benefits seemed like a nonstarter.

A few months ago I changed jobs to take director role, and have recently been asked to take on a secondary role as a member of the legal department. I suspect that this is not a common career path, but it is something that I am happy with.

I agree with the others that working and going to law school is not a picnic. On this point, I would suggest giving some thoughts to the logistics of juggling school and work. It is not exciting, but thinking about what your days will look like, how you will travel from home to work to school to home are worth considering.

BlueNova

Post by BlueNova » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:21 am

haus wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 pm
I went to a part-time program while keeping working full time on the career path I had been on for many years. When I started down this path, I had no intent of making a major career plan, instead I was looking to alter the path that I was already on. The common advise is that this is a losing proposition.

As far as at the role that my legal education will play in what is left of my career, it is too early to tell. So far, I am happy with the path that I have taken. It is possible that my existing career path (InfoSec) was an easier path to pull off the connection with law if for no other reason that there is a growing interest in law and InfoSe matters and lack of people geared up for this niche.

I was not interested in going full-time because I felt that the experience that I was gaining at work was too valuable to walk away from. Also I was the sole breadwinner in the family and stepping away from a good salary and benefits seemed like a nonstarter.

A few months ago I changed jobs to take director role, and have recently been asked to take on a secondary role as a member of the legal department. I suspect that this is not a common career path, but it is something that I am happy with.

I agree with the others that working and going to law school is not a picnic. On this point, I would suggest giving some thoughts to the logistics of juggling school and work. It is not exciting, but thinking about what your days will look like, how you will travel from home to work to school to home are worth considering.
Thank you for the advice. What law school did you attend?

BlueNova

Post by BlueNova » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:24 am

Story wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:13 am

I’m not sure what my financial situation will be after law school, but being a lawyer will lead to promotion for me at my current job. Every other executive at my position has been promoted upon becoming a lawyer.

haus

Post by haus » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:01 am

BlueNova wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:21 am
Thank you for the advice. What law school did you attend?
I attended the hybrid online program at Mitchell Hamline.

Story

Post by Story » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:02 am

BlueNova wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:24 am
Story wrote:

I’m not sure what my financial situation will be after law school, but being a lawyer will lead to promotion for me at my current job. Every other executive at my position has been promoted upon becoming a lawyer.
You don’t know whether you plan to take out any loans to go to law school?

BlueNova

Post by BlueNova » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:44 am

Story wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:02 am
BlueNova wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:24 am
Story wrote:

You don’t know whether you plan to take out any loans to go to law school?
Yes, I will.

Story

Post by Story » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 am

How much in student loans do you plan to take our for NYLS and for CUNY?