Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Post Reply
CainandAbel
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by CainandAbel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:43 am

Going for BigLaw then in-house when I burn out. Haven’t received aid info from Yale but it’ll probably be around 100k. Also waiting to hear of I get accepted into the Doctoroff program at Chicago.

I’m assuming this is between Hamilton and Ruby. I know Ruby’s a lot more but I’ve heard CLS is pretty much a BigLaw factory do not sure how to value that. Interested in hearing y’all’s thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 711
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by heythatslife » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:28 am

First off, congrats!

I think Chicago and Columbia are functionally equivalent schools. Doesn’t Ruby include a stipend as well? I’d take that and run.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2840
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by Stranger » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:33 am

UChi is also a biglaw factory. The marginal difference in their initial biglaw placement is mostly made up in Chicago's advantage in clerkships. We've had a lot of X vs. Ruby threads, but barring an extremely personalized situation that makes Chicago untenable, the answer is the same: just take the Ruby.

CainandAbel
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by CainandAbel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:09 am

heythatslife wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:28 am
First off, congrats!

I think Chicago and Columbia are functionally equivalent schools. Doesn’t Ruby include a stipend as well? I’d take that and run.
Thank you very much! It does come with an extremely generous stipend (20k/year) so I am leaning towards them, thank you for your input.

CainandAbel
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by CainandAbel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:10 am

Stranger wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:33 am
UChi is also a biglaw factory. The marginal difference in their initial biglaw placement is mostly made up in Chicago's advantage in clerkships. We've had a lot of X vs. Ruby threads, but barring an extremely personalized situation that makes Chicago untenable, the answer is the same: just take the Ruby.
I’m a non-citizen so I wouldn’t be able to clerk, but glad to hear that the difference in placement is only marginal! Thank you for your input.

ffffffffff
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by ffffffffff » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:32 am

Wait Ruby is full ride + 20k/yr? And Chicago has Nando's? Easiest decision in the world

CainandAbel
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by CainandAbel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 pm

ffffffffff wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:32 am
Wait Ruby is full ride + 20k/yr? And Chicago has Nando's? Easiest decision in the world
Haha well I've never tried nandos but good to know. Also not to sure of how well I'll do in law school so at the very least I'm still considering Yale, that 20k stipend seems like an amazing deal though.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2840
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by Stranger » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:19 pm

CainandAbel wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 pm
ffffffffff wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:32 am
Wait Ruby is full ride + 20k/yr? And Chicago has Nando's? Easiest decision in the world
Haha well I've never tried nandos but good to know. Also not to sure of how well I'll do in law school so at the very least I'm still considering Yale, that 20k stipend seems like an amazing deal though.
Hopefully someone who went there can chime in, but my understanding is that Chicago has a pretty robust support network for their Rubys. Your career goals aren't things like the Solicitor General's office or impact litigation or prestigious academia where Yale really has advantages. Corporate biglaw and in-house counsel are entirely in reach for you if you can avoid utterly flaming out in law school (and Chicago will work to help make sure you don't). This isn't the choice between a stipend at WashU and Berkeley at sticker, which for your goals, would be a much harder call. Your goals are generic, and for generic goals, the differences between Chicago and Yale are small enough that you should follow the money.

I know it would only help out a handful of people a year, but I really feel like this subforum should have a sticky that says, "JUST TAKE THE RUBY!"

CainandAbel
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by CainandAbel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:52 pm

Stranger wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:19 pm
CainandAbel wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 pm
ffffffffff wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:32 am
Wait Ruby is full ride + 20k/yr? And Chicago has Nando's? Easiest decision in the world
Haha well I've never tried nandos but good to know. Also not to sure of how well I'll do in law school so at the very least I'm still considering Yale, that 20k stipend seems like an amazing deal though.
Hopefully someone who went there can chime in, but my understanding is that Chicago has a pretty robust support network for their Rubys. Your career goals aren't things like the Solicitor General's office or impact litigation or prestigious academia where Yale really has advantages. Corporate biglaw and in-house counsel are entirely in reach for you if you can avoid utterly flaming out in law school (and Chicago will work to help make sure you don't). This isn't the choice between a stipend at WashU and Berkeley at sticker, which for your goals, would be a much harder call. Your goals are generic, and for generic goals, the differences between Chicago and Yale are small enough that you should follow the money.

I know it would only help out a handful of people a year, but I really feel like this subforum should have a sticky that says, "JUST TAKE THE RUBY!"
Haha understandable. Apologies if variations of this question have been asked before. To me, this is a very crazy problem to have and I just didn't know for sure how to solve it.

That institutional support is really cool to hear about. The email mentioned it but didn't actually mention it but I've read a little about it online, didn't know it would help so much in doing well academically as opposed to just helping you find a job down the road.

Thank you once again for your help!

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 8814
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by Nony » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm

Doing well academically only matters for the purpose of getting a job (and later jobs) down the road.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy
Posts: 14240
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:03 pm

I don't even think this is that hard of a call if you want to be a prof but if the goal is biglaw it's a no brainer.

CainandAbel
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by CainandAbel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 pm

Nony wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm
Doing well academically only matters for the purpose of getting a job (and later jobs) down the road.
Oh, isn't getting a job the goal?

CainandAbel
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by CainandAbel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:12 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:03 pm
I don't even think this is that hard of a call if you want to be a prof but if the goal is biglaw it's a no brainer.
Got it, thank you !

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 8814
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by Nony » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:50 pm

CainandAbel wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 pm
Nony wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm
Doing well academically only matters for the purpose of getting a job (and later jobs) down the road.
Oh, isn't getting a job the goal?
yes, that was my point. (Responding to "didn't know it would help so much in doing well academically as opposed to just helping you find a job down the road.")

CainandAbel
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: Ruby v. Hamilton v. Yale

Post by CainandAbel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:18 pm

Nony wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:50 pm
CainandAbel wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 pm
Nony wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm
Doing well academically only matters for the purpose of getting a job (and later jobs) down the road.
Oh, isn't getting a job the goal?
yes, that was my point. (Responding to "didn't know it would help so much in doing well academically as opposed to just helping you find a job down the road.")
Oh haha got it, yeah then that makes sense. Thank you Lol

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests