Baguette Applies to Law School

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
Slytherpuff

Re: Baguette Applies to Law School

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:11 pm

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. Well, don't count Stanford out just yet!

I'd wait and see what happens with the rest of your apps and then, if needed, consider reapplying next year. I think it's just a weird cycle because of COVID, even though things are always unpredictable for splitters. Duke (if they show you the money) would still be a great outcome, but hopefully it doesn't end up being the only good option.

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:15 pm

I've also always heard that Berkeley favors GPA over LSAT, so don't take that one too hard. There's still a lot of applications to go.

Baguette

Post by Baguette » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Northwestern waitlist. Another decision which isn't too surprising in a vacuum, but I'm officially convinced I'm underperforming compared to the (thin) historical data for my numbers. I think I'm going to reread my apps in a month and see if anything went wrong. Maybe it's just a bad cycle.

Story

Post by Story » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:02 pm

I would re-apply, especially because that seems to be what your gut is telling you. And of course re-assess and review app materials. Have a second set of eyes take a look too.

Baguette

Post by Baguette » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:53 pm

Email came from NYU an hour later, heart in my throat...

HTE

Feels like bad news, on balance, especially because I was so bullish about NYU going into this process (and it's probably tied for my top choice), but also a reminder that this year isn't over.
Story wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:02 pm
I would re-apply, especially because that seems to be what your gut is telling you. And of course re-assess and review app materials. Have a second set of eyes take a look too.
I'm seriously thinking about it, but if I get a decent aid package from Duke I doubt I I can turn it down. If I'm as awesome at law stuff as I think I am, and a little lucky, I reckon I can just transfer. And, if not, mediocre grades at Duke would be enough firepower for a firm job in NYC and/or my flyover-state hometown.

The marginal improvement in outcomes of going to some other T14 just doesn't seem worth the wait: I'm already on track to turn 30 while still in law school. Honestly once of the silver linings of this process is that it's bleached out any delusions I once had about different schools being extra special places to be, or extra interested in bizarre splitter backgrounds like mine.

Jack_Kelly

Post by Jack_Kelly » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 pm

I had similar stats- which is a rarity- and a similar result to what you have now a couple years back (lil bit better GPA, lil bit worse LSAT- not the sparkly 180 but close). I'm not sure I think you should reapply, next year will presumably have more high LSATs with the Flex being the norm from now on, and those schools that let you in might YP you. I think if Duke gives you good money that's a reasonable choice.

MichiganHoosier

Post by MichiganHoosier » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:30 pm

Hey, Baguette!

Throwing in my results for you as you weigh your options on whether to go forward or re-apply. We have nearly identical GPAs, but you have me beat by a few points on the LSAT (I’m lower 170s. 180? You rock!). And I blanketed the T14 + UCLA and ASU back in September. I do have quite a few years of unique work experience (military), which I think has given me a considerable boost.

Accepted: ASU, UCLA, Georgetown, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Chicago, Berkeley, Northwestern, Duke
Rejected: Yale
Pending: Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, NYU, UVA, Cornell

app

Post by app » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:30 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 pm
I had similar stats- which is a rarity- and a similar result to what you have now a couple years back (lil bit better GPA, lil bit worse LSAT- not the sparkly 180 but close). I'm not sure I think you should reapply, next year will presumably have more high LSATs with the Flex being the norm from now on, and those schools that let you in might YP you. I think if Duke gives you good money that's a reasonable choice.
what were your highest acceptances and where did you go finally?
i assume you had a high 170s, do you think for someone with just a point or two above 170 it'd make a difference to retake?

Jack_Kelly

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:14 pm

app wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:30 pm
Jack_Kelly wrote:
what were your highest acceptances and where did you go finally?
i assume you had a high 170s, do you think for someone with just a point or two above 170 it'd make a difference to retake?
I originally applied with 3.4x/17low, raapplied with 3.4x/17high, got into fewer schools lol. My personal statement sucked second go-around and I had bad softs (both times).

But my (lone) T14 offer was with $$ vs. at sticker first time around. I attend a lower half T14.

2 years ago 170+ was more valuable than it is now with the Flex I think (but same with 178+).

Baguette

Post by Baguette » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:03 pm

MichiganHoosier wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:30 pm
Hey, Baguette!

[...]
It's nice to hear from you! I've seen you on some of the other websites.

Sadly I got waitlisted by Mich today so looks increasingly unlikely that we'll be classmates :lol: but I'm glad at least there's some upside for splitters this year. Wild that we're both still waiting on almost the exact same schools (though I've been R'd by Stanford and Cornell since you posted)
Jack_Kelly wrote:
Thanks for the perspective. I feel more excited about Duke every day, honestly, so my optimism has increased even as this good-news drought continues.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:06 pm

Duke is great. Excellent job outcomes, pretty campus, way cheaper cost-of-living than somewhere like NYC, and you should be eligible for some $$ based on your stats. Not a bad outcome at all, if that's what happens this year. But you still have a couple months to keep hearing back!

Baguette

Post by Baguette » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:20 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:06 pm
But you still have a couple months to keep hearing back!
I am holding out hope for NYU in particular because they seem to have such nice people!!