What does law coursework look like?

Indecision

What does law coursework look like?

Post by Indecision » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:24 am

Hello, it’s me again.

Just wondering if someone can point me in a direction into what law school course work looks like? Or what lawyers do on a minute by minute basis? Or any examples of some laws I can look at?

I’m just trying to get a better feel for the profession. I hope it’s not super unreasonable.

Thanks!

Story

Re: What does law coursework look like?

Post by Story » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:39 am

What law school coursework looks like is much different than what lawyers do day by day.

If you want a good idea of what law coursework is like, read Getting to Maybe. And you can also read some of the books from the Examples & Explanations series. Choose any of the subjects from 1L: Constitutional law, criminal, torts, contracts, property, civil procedure, etc.

To get an idea of what lawyers actually do, that is going to depend on what type of law you want to do. Why don’t you intern or ask to shadow a lawyer at a law firm that does the type of work you are interested in?

Maybe others have books or resources to explain what lawyers do everyday.

Lastly, I don’t know how helpful it is to look at examples of laws.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm

Law school coursework:
It'll vary a little by school, but typically in the first year you will take Civil Procedure, Torts, Criminal Law, Contracts, Legal Research/Writing, Property, and Constitutional Law. After that, you'll have the freedom to choose your own classes - people could end up taking Evidence, Corporations/Business Organizations, Admin Law, Labor Law, Family Law, Tax, etc. Here's NYU's list of topics if you want to dig around a little and see what classes could look like, for example. http://its.law.nyu.edu/courses/ (picked NYU because that's where I went, but you can Google this for any school you're interested in)

Story's idea of reading E&Es (Examples & Explanations series) can help too. You can also read One L by Scott Turow, Ivy Briefs by Martha Kimes, or any other memoir-esqe book about someone's years in law school.

What lawyers do:
There are tons of different legal fields out there, so what a lawyer "does" varies a lot. What I do and work on as a litigator in big law varies a lot from what my husband, a lawyer at an environmental non-profit, does - and we're both in litigation. Honestly I would just Google "a day in the life of a lawyer" or "a day in the life of a [insert field] lawyer" and see if anything looks interesting to you. Shadowing a lawyer at a place that does the type of work you're interested in could be helpful, but obviously hard during COVID.

Examples of some laws:
Here, have some laws. https://uscode.house.gov/ This is not going to give you any insight into whether you'd like being a lawyer though. Reading the United States Code may put you to sleep but you may love advising clients, negotiating deals, researching and drafting a legal brief, etc.

DankHill

Post by DankHill » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:50 am

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:45 pm

Today I played rocket league while waiting for my secretary to pdf a filing.