AUSA Salary?

Post Reply
AUSAGUY

AUSA Salary?

Post by AUSAGUY » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:47 pm

I am really interested in AUSA and want to shoot for the CDCA (Los Angeles). Where can I find pay info based on locality?

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy
Posts: 14276
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: AUSA Salary?

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:59 pm

look up the AD payscale and then add 32% locality pay (though, of course, good luck figuring out where you fall in the relatively wide range that establishes): https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... of-pay.pdf.

I've never really bothered figuring it out, but my general understanding is that AUSAs are compensated at significantly lower rates than fed lawyers on the GS scale, especially when you factor in that AUSA positions *tend* to be more sought after.

Story
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Re: AUSA Salary?

Post by Story » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:25 pm

Yep. AUSAs are much lower paid when you think about the work they do.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy
Posts: 14276
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: AUSA Salary?

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:25 pm

Story wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:25 pm
Yep. AUSAs are much lower paid when you think about the work they do.
it's all worth it for that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you've successfully leveraged a draconian mandatory minimum to force someone to take a 15 year plea deal.

Sly
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:51 am

Re: AUSA Salary?

Post by Sly » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:57 am

Story wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:25 pm
Yep. AUSAs are much lower paid when you think about the work they do.
Can you elaborate on this?

Story
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Re: AUSA Salary?

Post by Story » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:41 am

Most AUSAs work very long hours. The job can be stressful. Being an AUSA is unlike most fed jobs, which are usually more 9-to-5 and chiller.

But AUSAs also tend to get paid less than most fed lawyers, who work on the GS pay-scale.

anonAUSA

Re: AUSA Salary?

Post by anonAUSA » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Story wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:41 am
Most AUSAs work very long hours. The job can be stressful. Being an AUSA is unlike most fed jobs, which are usually more 9-to-5 and chiller.

But AUSAs also tend to get paid less than most fed lawyers, who work on the GS pay-scale.
What federal government job would you consider "chiller" and true to 9-5?

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 6239
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Re: AUSA Salary?

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:00 pm

SEC CorpFin

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy
Posts: 14276
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: AUSA Salary?

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:51 pm

p. much anything you don't have to go to trial.

Story
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Re: AUSA Salary?

Post by Story » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:17 pm

anonAUSA wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:20 pm
Story wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:41 am
Most AUSAs work very long hours. The job can be stressful. Being an AUSA is unlike most fed jobs, which are usually more 9-to-5 and chiller.

But AUSAs also tend to get paid less than most fed lawyers, who work on the GS pay-scale.
What federal government job would you consider "chiller" and true to 9-5?
Just any random federal lawyer in any random three-letter federal agency.

User avatar
Adso
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Re: AUSA Salary?

Post by Adso » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:31 pm

The pay really sucks but if you live in one of the USAOs in "fly over country" it's pretty sweet. Same with Federal Defenders.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests