LRAP/IBR/PSLF. How does it work? Let's find out!

Nebby

Re: LRAP/IBR/PSLF. How does it work? Let's find out!

Post by Nebby » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:27 pm

FYI - just did my annual employee recertification for PSLF and it properly counted the months covered by the CARES Act. Sitting at 44 qualifying payments! (lol not even halfway there but at least all months have been properly counted since I started repayment).

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:00 pm

No annual income recertification necessary this year either. Just got message that all annual recerts are extended for at least a year.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Johannes wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:00 pm
No annual income recertification necessary this year either. Just got message that all annual recerts are extended for at least a year.
Screenshot?

Nony

Post by Nony » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:32 pm

When I last logged on the website said recertification had been deferred till Dec 31. (Not sure if that’s the same as what Johannes saw or if they extended it again.)

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:48 pm

I got an email. I’m on my phone but will post the screen shot when I’m on a computer later this weekend.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:27 pm

I just got the email
Spoiler:

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:27 pm

Does everyone else interpret this to mean we just don't need to recertify this year and our payments next year will be the same as this year?

Nony

Post by Nony » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Yes, that’s my understanding. My recertification is usually in the spring and they’d sent me the reminder to recertify before the first extension, and then nothing more.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:13 pm

Nebby wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:27 pm
Does everyone else interpret this to mean we just don't need to recertify this year and our payments next year will be the same as this year?
Correct.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:54 pm

FYI - y'all should call you servicers to see if the extension applies to you. My income based repayment anniversary is on January 1, so I don't qualify. The date is not when your recertification is due, but the anniversary of when you officially entered income based repayment is the reference date for whether the extension applies. My recertification deadline is 11/27, but that apparently isn't the date that matters.

BeatricESQ

Post by BeatricESQ » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Nebby wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:54 pm
FYI - y'all should call you servicers to see if the extension applies to you. My income based repayment anniversary is on January 1, so I don't qualify. The date is not when your recertification is due, but the anniversary of when you officially entered income based repayment is the reference date for whether the extension applies. My recertification deadline is 11/27, but that apparently isn't the date that matters.
So assuming the extension applies to someone, do they really not have to recertify even though their income has gone up substantially?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:21 pm

If it applies, yes. I would call your servicer to see if it applies.

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:45 am

interesting thread re relief and tax:

Hey_Everybody

Post by Hey_Everybody » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:28 am

So is that guy saying that even if you just did 25 years on REPAYE that there is actually no tax bomb? If true, seems like TLS was giving people a lot of shitty advice back in the day

Story

Post by Story » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:04 am

I thought that if you got forgiveness through PSLF, then you got no tax bomb.

But if you got forgiveness through IBR, PAYE, or REPAYE, I thought you DID get a tax bomb? Am I wrong?

Hey_Everybody

Post by Hey_Everybody » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:34 am

Story wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:04 am
I thought that if you got forgiveness through PSLF, then you got no tax bomb.

But if you got forgiveness through IBR, PAYE, or REPAYE, I thought you DID get a tax bomb? Am I wrong?
That was always my understanding, and what TLS always said. But he seems to think there shouldn't be a tax bomb period:

Story

Post by Story » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:41 am

I guess no one has gotten to the end of IBR and PAYE to actually find out whether the forgiven amount is taxed.

Anybody who commentates on this issue is essentially making a prediction about how the IRS and courts will interpret the tax code, right? I don’t know if there is a definitive “correct” answer to the question of whether IBR and PAYE forgiven amounts are taxable.

Hey_Everybody

Post by Hey_Everybody » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:46 am

Story wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:41 am
I guess no one has gotten to the end of IBR and PAYE to actually find out whether the forgiven amount is taxed.

Anybody who commentates on this issue is essentially making a prediction about how the IRS and courts will interpret the tax code, right? I don’t know if there is a definitive “correct” answer to the question of whether IBR and PAYE forgiven amounts are taxable.
Yeah, he initially presented his opinion as more of a fact. But clearly nobody knows for sure yet. Even if there's a very strong legal argument that non-PSLF forgiveness shouldn't be taxed, I wouldn't bank on our ultra far right judiciary buying it

Story

Post by Story » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:07 pm

I am also confused by Brooks’s response: “ My argument is actually even more relevant for IDR...”

Isn’t IDR a large umbrella that includes IBR and PAYE?

If forgiven amounts under an “IDR plan” are non-taxable, I would think that fact implies that forgiven amounts under IBR and PAYE are non-taxable.

Hey_Everybody

Post by Hey_Everybody » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Story wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:07 pm
I am also confused by Brooks’s response: “ My argument is actually even more relevant for IDR...”

Isn’t IDR a large umbrella that includes IBR and PAYE?

If forgiven amounts under an “IDR plan” are non-taxable, I would think that fact implies that forgiven amounts under IBR and PAYE are non-taxable.
I think he was initially talking about whether forgiveness from the Biden administration would be taxable. His point was that student loan forgiveness isn't taxable so that's not an issue. He then clarified he thinks that applies to all IDR plans too

Nony

Post by Nony » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Financial aid people (and every financial source on the web, apparently) have all represented the based plans as having a tax bomb, so it’s not that people have given shitty advice. The Twitter thread is making an argument about how the law should be applied to hypothetical student loan forgiveness resulting from covid stimulus. That could well be the basis for arguments people could use in the future to challenge the tax bomb on income-based repayment plans, but it’s not clear to me that it applies to the income-based repayment plans; those plans may have different terms baked in. The safe harbor provision (ie IRS won’t go after someone who’s insolvent) makes sense, except that if you’re Johanning your way to forgiveness, the point is to be able to save money along the way, so you wouldn’t be insolvent at that point (I don’t know what the tax bomb would cost you though). The point that Congress needed to specifically exempt PSLF because there was the assumption that student loan forgiveness was free from taxation except if done for public service is interesting, but it also seems like this law all dates from before they made it (virtually) impossible to discharge student loans in bankruptcy, and obviously that’s not the same as forgiveness, I’m just not sure what has happened between now and then.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:20 pm

BeatricESQ wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm
Nebby wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:54 pm
So assuming the extension applies to someone, do they really not have to recertify even though their income has gone up substantially?
Correct. My income is potentially substantially higher and I have not recertified. Window has come and gone for a month or so now and nothing from my loan services.

Nony

Post by Nony » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:21 pm

(Which is to say about forgiveness: I agree there’s no way to know until someone applies for forgiveness under an IDR plan and we see what the IRS does. It will also be interesting to see if most people in that position have appreciable assets or not, and whether that makes a difference. I could see going after some of Johannes’ gambling winnings investments but not going after, say, a lifelong state PD or elementary school teacher. Of course the amount of the teacher’s forgiveness would likely be a lot less, too.)

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Hey_Everybody wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:28 am
So is that guy saying that even if you just did 25 years on REPAYE that there is actually no tax bomb? If true, seems like TLS was giving people a lot of shitty advice back in the day
Yes it’s only taxable to the extent you have net worth. I’ve said this for years now. No one understands the tax bomb properly.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:23 pm

Story wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:41 am

The “tax bomb” applies to all forgiven debts not just student loan debt. Plenty of case law looking at this application to non student loan debts, which is binding precedent.