Temple v. Villanova: Any current students/recent grads?

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
secondand3rd

Temple v. Villanova: Any current students/recent grads?

Post by secondand3rd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:17 am

Hi, I am deciding between attending Villanova and Temple next year. Any good advice would be appreciated, but I would specifically like to hear from some students/recent graduates from both of these schools before making my decision. I have talked with people from admissions, but I would like to hear from some people who might not have as much of a "filter" as the students and alumni that the schools put me in contact with.

Here is some info about me:
-I would like to work as a lawyer in the Philly area after I graduate
-I am not dead-set on having a specific type of job after I graduate, though I am most interested in being a Public Defender
-Estimated total COA at either school is 60k-70k (I received a full tuition scholarship from both schools). This will be paid for with savings and some outside support, so I will not have debt from school.
-I currently live in the Philadelphia area

Some more specific questions:
-How is the academic culture at the school?
-What career opportunities have you had?
-If you could go back and change your decision, would you do it? Why/why not?

Danger Zone

Re: Temple v. Villanova: Any current students/recent grads?

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:41 am

The only question you have to ask that differentiates these two schools is: do you want to live in the city or the suburbs for the next three years?

par283

Post by par283 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am

Temple has an awesome Trial Advocacy program so if you're interested in being a public defender I would vote temple. I have a few friends at temple right now and they all really love it!

ricanginsburg

Post by ricanginsburg » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am

Temple undergrad alumna here! Both schools are great, Villanova has much more of an emphasis on corporate/business than Temple but Temple will still get you there even though they have a larger emphasis on public interest/litigation. It honestly just depends on personal preference. I've been accepted to Nova and I'm waiting on Temple now. I will probably choose Temple out of the two. You can still live in the city if you go to Villanova... just be diligent about your time when you have to commute.

potatohead31

Post by potatohead31 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:23 pm

Villanova undergrad opinion: it is a very boring place to live in. I grew up in LA and did not realize how hard living in such a PA suburb would be. I imagine it would be similar coming from Philly. The law school facilities at nova are very nice/new though