Non-Honors BigFed Hiring

64Fl

Non-Honors BigFed Hiring

Post by 64Fl » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:42 pm

I'm trying to do this biglaw schtick for as short of a time as possible. I've always had the itch to do PI/Gov't work but was (and still am) spooked by PSLF/IBR. I'll pay off my debt in about 1.5yrs, and I'm curious what moving on looks like.

My T14's clerkship advisor has said that I'd be competitive for DCt/SSC clerkships, so I'm planning on trying to do that for 1-2yrs. That'll get me to the 3-4yr experience mark. At that point, am I competitive for any decent BigFed gigs? I'm at a V10 now, if that's worth anything, although I'm doing tax and not lit. I also spent my 1L summer with BigFed, entire 3L spring semester full-time BigFed, and did a post-grad public interest fellowship for the summer before starting at my firm.

I'd be interested in almost any agency. I'm also looking to NOT work in DC. Although, if it was between a BigFed job in DC and none, I'd gladly move to D.C. I like the city, just not the cost of living. I'd generally like to avoid the NY/DC/CHI/LA/SF/BOS/etc urban centers with high cost of living. A dream would be a BigFed job in a place like Alaska, New Mexico, or Iowa. I probably couldn't tolerate a deep red state.

Story

Re: Non-Honors BigFed Hiring

Post by Story » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:25 am

You could be competitive because you’re geographically flexible. I would not avoid DC, big cities, or red states. Apply broadly. If you go to a non-desirable city, tough it out for a few years, and you can lateral to other agencies in different cities much more easily once you are in the fed system.

Your grades and school are probably decent, based on what your clerkship advisor said.

I would do the clerkship as a way to transition from big law to fed. You can apply for fed agencies while you clerk if your judge is OK with that.

Just apply broadly and everywhere on USAJOBs. Look also on the agency’s own website because sometimes jobs are not posted on USAJOBS. Paying off your loans so soon will also give you flexibility.

64Fl

Post by 64Fl » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:32 am

Story wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:25 am
you can lateral to other agencies in different cities much more easily once you are in the fed system.
Is this due to an official preference (like the ones veterans get for some jobs) or an unofficial one?

Story

Post by Story » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:52 am

64Fl wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:32 am
Story wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:25 am
you can lateral to other agencies in different cities much more easily once you are in the fed system.
Is this due to an official preference (like the ones veterans get for some jobs) or an unofficial one?
It’s usually an unofficial preference. The hiring person doesn’t necessarily think, “Oh, I hire mostly feds.” But if you are already in the fed system, you know the ins and outs. You also have federal experience that is more transferrable to another fed job.

Some job postings are open only to current fed employees, too.