What are my chances? At 33 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
jeff chiles

Re: What are my chances? At 32 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by jeff chiles » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Plenty of people get married and have kids in law school - it’s a lot but I’m not sure it’s any “worse” than doing so when you are working as an attorney later on (in many ways I think it’s easier but that’s just me).

You don’t have to freeze everything else going on in your personal life to do law school and you don’t have to check off obtaining a law degree, passing the bar, and getting a post grad job before you’re qualified to date and have a family. I understand why people want it to go in that order but it doesn’t have to be that way.

Like nony said loans will help with rent, not sure what car you are paying for but if they payment is like 300ish a month you should be able to swing that through loans. You can always get rid of it if you are not underwater on the loan too and the get something cheaper (even if that means like a cheap Camry lease or something similar)

Slytherpuff

Re: What are my chances? At 32 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:46 pm

If you don't want to be a lawyer then don't go to law school, but please don't let your age be the factor. Like we've said many, many times in this thread, you are never too old to go to law school and there are plenty of people who go to law school in their 30s and 40s. I work with an associate at my firm who graduated from law school when he was 38 and is in his early 40s now. You will not be the oldest one there at all, and you can still have a fantastic career even if you start a little later than the K-JDs do.

You can find a spouse while in law school. You can start a family while in law school. You can pay for food, rent, car payments, etc. with your student loans - they cover more than just tuition.

Don't let fear or uncertainty be the reason you don't go to law school - you should only count yourself out if you're not sure you want to be a lawyer.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:38 am

Nony wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:21 pm
I mean, this is an incredibly personal decision. I don’t think going to law school will have any effect on finding a spouse or making time for a family, unless you decide it will. You don’t have to put that off for school. Age isn’t an issue unless you decide it is; plenty of people go to law school your age and older.

As for rent and your car, that’s what student loans (or scholarships) are for. You get money to live off of, not just for tuition (that said, car payments aren’t generally included, so that would depend on how much your payments cost).

The LSAT is a bigger deal, but whether you can improve your score by November or should apply in January really depends on what you’re doing now and how your studying is going. Again, no one can comment on that based on what you’ve said so far.

There’s no magic window that closes. You could apply next year if that works better. You could work on the LSAT and decide later. None of this is anything you have to freak out about now.
My studying was going ok in May but the past several months I have had trouble staying on top of it. I have been inconsistent at best as of late. Extended Family issues, plus I have been working essentially 9-7/8pm at my job due to staffing cuts and an increased work load. By the time I finish, I have a couple hours to eat and study(and maybe go out side and exercise If I’m lucky-but usually have to pick that or studying).

Not making excuses it just been a difficult to stay on top of it the past 2 months... so I sorta lost a lot of the progress I was making.

advocatesdenverco

Post by advocatesdenverco » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Education has no limit, People has their own time, better go as you plan. there is not in trying. Good Luck!

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:46 pm
If you don't want to be a lawyer then don't go to law school, but please don't let your age be the factor. Like we've said many, many times in this thread, you are never too old to go to law school and there are plenty of people who go to law school in their 30s and 40s. I work with an associate at my firm who graduated from law school when he was 38 and is in his early 40s now. You will not be the oldest one there at all, and you can still have a fantastic career even if you start a little later than the K-JDs do.

You can find a spouse while in law school. You can start a family while in law school. You can pay for food, rent, car payments, etc. with your student loans - they cover more than just tuition.

Don't let fear or uncertainty be the reason you don't go to law school - you should only count yourself out if you're not sure you want to be a lawyer.
Thank you,

Maybe I’m not sure and that’s why I’m so anxious about everything?
I’m trying to set up a side by side with an attorney, however I picked the most inconvenient time in recent history due to covid.

I also haven’t been able to study consistently. It’s been very challenging due to work demands and extended/family issues.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:44 pm

Does anyone have any more feedback?

altoid

Post by altoid » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:58 pm

What are your test scores? There is only so much studying one can do for the lsat (at least back in the day in 2010 when I took it) and besides logic games you could not improve on match.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:50 pm

It may be year or so before I apply, at that time I would just turn 35.

Nony

Re: What are my chances? At 33 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by Nony » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:59 pm

That's fine. It's not materially different from applying at 33 or 34; there's no magic window that closes once you hit a certain age.

Haunt

Re: What are my chances? At 33 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by Haunt » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:26 am

I dunno if it's a good idea, but I'm 33 and applying this cycle.