biglaw job security: better to dig in with 1 rainmaker or diversify work?

GuestAnonPoaster

biglaw job security: better to dig in with 1 rainmaker or diversify work?

Post by GuestAnonPoaster » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:40 am

I've been in biglaw for some time. Outside of demanding hours and expectations of high quality work, my biggest concern in biglaw is job security. I just switched firms as an incoming 5/6th year and ive been stressing about how i am going to start fresh and survive long term. I've been told before law school and as an associate that you get about 6 years or so in biglaw before you are either pushed out or get on partner track. I am somewhat around that year now and I am starting to prepare for it. At this new gig, I think i hit it off well with a rainmaker who has been constantly feeding me work and giving me positive feedback. i know there are two approaches to surviving biglaw: (1) diversify your work with many partners, vs digging deep with someone influential/rainmaker. I know there are pros/cons for each but I am naturally progressing toward option (2). If you were faced with similar questions at this stage in your career, I'd like to know how it turned out for you.

64Fl

Re: biglaw job security: better to dig in with 1 rainmaker or diversify work?

Post by 64Fl » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:00 am

Personally, I think diversifying your work with a few (not many) partners is the best approach to long-term survival (if equity is a dream in your mind). If you can do significant work for 2-4 different partners, I think you're in a way better position than both someone who has worked with 15 partners in the department without any incredibly strong relationships and someone who has put all their eggs in one basket.

BlendedUnicorn
Hardening Democrat

Re: biglaw job security: better to dig in with 1 rainmaker or diversify work?

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:37 pm

It’s going to come down to firm/practice area/specific partner. If the rainmakers giving you work, then probably better to diversify. If the rainmakers giving you clients, then you can stick with her and position yourself as a more attractive pathern candidate. If you’re at a giant New York firm with a bunch of big non portable institutional clients, then it may be better to spread out a little bit as it’s the firm’s internal dynamics that will effect promotion more than your book. On the other hand, if the firm’s more of an eat wha though kill place it may be better for you to have a really strong relationship with the big fish than a decent relationship with a lot of guppies.

Gotta figure out the rules of whatever game you’re playing (and I guess I’m assuming you want to make partner here but if that’s not the long term goal than again it’s really going to depend on what your firm and practice area is).