Chances at HLS and others (URM/327 GRE/Veteran)

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
skydiveup

Chances at HLS and others (URM/327 GRE/Veteran)

Post by skydiveup » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:18 pm

Friends,

Thanks in advance for your input.
My stats are as follows:
URM (AA Male); child of immigrants
UG GPA 3.75 (CS)
I have not taken the LSAT, however I recently took the GRE with 165V/162Q (have not received official score for AWA, I would imagine 5.0); ETS score calculator equates it to 169 LSAT.
Current business school student at a top ranked business school.
Military veteran; ~10 years in special operations (think Navy SEAL/Army SF)
What are my chances at the following schools: HLS, Yale, Columbia, NYU, UChicago, and Penn?
Thanks again.
Last edited by skydiveup on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

heythatslife

Re: Chances at HLS and others

Post by heythatslife » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:46 pm

GRE to LSAT “conversion” is pretty useless as an indicator of how you would do on the LSAT, and I don’t think anyone can provide a reasonably accurate prediction of your admissions chances until you have a real LSAT score.

That said:
1) you have a pretty unique resume and may have a shot for consideration under the GRE score admission programs that some schools (including HLS) are now implementing, but there’s very little data on that process and it’s pretty much a black box at this point; and
2) more importantly, why do you want to go to law school in the first place?

pancakes3

Re: Chances at HLS and others

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Yeah, with a m7 mba, you can do way cooler stuff

skydiveup

Re: Chances at HLS and others (URM/327 GRE/Veteran)

Post by skydiveup » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:59 pm

Just retook the GRE...scored marginally better (seemingly) this time around.
My score was 328 (164V/164Q).
I think I am going to apply with that and see how it goes.
Any additional thoughts? Perhaps it would make more sense to apply with the original score since I scored slightly higher on the verbal section (165V vs 164V).
Note: I know that the LSAT is the preferred entry test, but I don't have the time to prepare for that from scratch before the application deadlines.
I appreciate the input!

BlendedUnicorn
Hardening Democrat

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:11 pm

going to echo others here in saying that nobody really knows how schools will look at the GRE, but your background seems unique enough to make it worth applying. The marginal difference between your GRE scores seems incredibly unlikely to make a difference, I would probably use the higher overall one than the higher verbal one though.

Also going to echo others in saying that if you're at a top mba program I'd think twice about going into law.

skydiveup

Post by skydiveup » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:25 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:11 pm
going to echo others here in saying that nobody really knows how schools will look at the GRE, but your background seems unique enough to make it worth applying. The marginal difference between your GRE scores seems incredibly unlikely to make a difference, I would probably use the higher overall one than the higher verbal one though.

Also going to echo others in saying that if you're at a top mba program I'd think twice about going into law.
Thanks for the input.
Re: the statement about going into law with an MBA from a top program - that seems to be the general sentiment here and on other forums.
In the interest of providing additional context - I want to go into law not for the purpose of serving the interests of business, but rather to *help* combat miscarriages of justice within the criminal system (particularly against the disadvantaged).
I understand where people are coming from re: big law, but big law as it is generally understood is not my aspiration.
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks again!