"Going Solo" Immediately After Law School?

law_grad_2019

"Going Solo" Immediately After Law School?

Post by law_grad_2019 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:01 pm

Any tips, suggestions, general advice? I recently graduated from law school in 2019 and passed the North Carolina Bar Exam. I have always been the type of individual who would want to "be their own boss." I have yet to find a firm that I personally mesh well with or desire to join and dedicate years of my life to...so any helpful resources to aid in my decision would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. (Yes, I know this is extremely difficult to do, but my drive is unparalleled) I would prefer to find another like-minded and similarly situated recent law school graduate to open a practice with, but I am not opposed to going solo. (Any ideas as to where to find an individual to start a law firm with would also be extremely helpful!) Thanks!

pancakes3

Re: "Going Solo" Immediately After Law School?

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:06 pm

join your local bar association and start networking.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:12 pm

law_grad_2019 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:01 pm
Unfortunately law school does not prepare anyone adequately for the practice of law or the business of running a law firm. Running a case (let alone a caseload) unsupervised without experience in the relevant legal area is a recipe for disaster both for the 4L and the client. It is way easier, more practical, and safer for your clients to practice under the supervision of qualified attorneys until you have the training needed to strike it out on your own....which is why almost everyone does it that way (if at all) nowadays instead of trying to strike it out on their own right out of law school.

That, and because it's incredibly hard to make money at it unless you have the business experience or an extremely powerful knack for hustle. The opportunity costs required to get a practice of the ground are crazy high and also potentially disastrous if you don't have big savings or a trust fund to fall back on — that, or a partner/spouse willing to shoulder the burden of keeping you both afloat while you get your bearings and build a practice.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:14 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:06 pm
join your local bar association and start networking.
but yeah if you're gonna do it start hustling yesterday ^

you'll definitely need experienced attorney friends you can call willing to take your questions

jeff chiles

Post by jeff chiles » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:47 pm

i understand wanting to solo straight out, but even working for a crappy attorney or small firm for a year would be immensely valuable before going solo. there are a lot of little things you can learn during that time like pricing, basic marketing, local rules & court quirks (dumb stuff like where to park, where to file certain things, judge personalities, etc.) that are much harder to learn on your own. learning to pick clients and recognize pain in the butt clients that will sue you or not pay you is also pretty important and learning that as a solo will mean a lot of painful trial and error when you can't afford it

BlendedUnicorn
Hardening Democrat

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:21 am

Try to get on the local CJA list or a state-level equivalent if you're interested in doing criminal work and make friends with your local public defenders who are probably Good People who will be willing to help show you the ropes because they don't want you to fuck up your clients' lives.