T14 Chances + Scholarships?

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
itzdajusticeforme

T14 Chances + Scholarships?

Post by itzdajusticeforme » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi all,

Hope you're safe and well. I'm new to lawschool.life and want to get a sense of what my chances at T14 + GW and BU are, and what scholarships could look like with my stats. I've heard that schools this cycle will have less aid to give out, which I really hope won't be the case. I'm debating an October retake since I was PTing 173-178, but I'm not sure if schools will interpret this the wrong way.

Stats: 3.6 GPA, 172 LSAT, gay black male, 3+ years of "unicorn" work experience in a non-related field. Other than that, standard softs like student government and 4 strong LORs (2 from professors). No C&F stuff. I'm applying in October.

Thank you all!

UVA2B

Re: T14 Chances + Scholarships?

Post by UVA2B » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:27 pm

Your chances should be confined to the T14, because you’re likely looking at full rides there.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:42 pm

You should have excellent chances at T-14 + substantial scholarship with your stats and URM status. I would honestly skip applying to GW and BU unless you're really dying to go to those particular schools for some reason. I think an October retake will not hurt at all, is there any reason you're hesitant to do that?

itzdajusticeforme

Post by itzdajusticeforme » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:56 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:42 pm
You should have excellent chances at T-14 + substantial scholarship with your stats and URM status. I would honestly skip applying to GW and BU unless you're really dying to go to those particular schools for some reason. I think an October retake will not hurt at all, is there any reason you're hesitant to do that?
I'm not dying to go to GW or BU, but I do want to apply to a few T15-T25 schools to have a few safeties. I'm hesitant about an Oct. retake because I've taken the LSAT more than three times now and feel like certain schools on my list will wonder if I'm not doing it for their school since my LSAT is above some of their medians/75ths. Plus, my workload is beginning to pick up kinda quickly (including the weekends) and I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to prepare properly.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:41 pm

Even if you feel the need to dip below Georgetown for a safety (Georgetown is kinda a safety for you), there's very little sense dipping below the Texas/UCLA/USC/Vanderbilt/WashU set unless you have a very specific reason to want to be in a particular city or study with a particular professor. UVA2B is right that you should have a reasonable shot at a full ride in the T14. LSAC doesn't need your money badly enough for you to spam out apps to schools that will never seriously be in contention for you.

itzdajusticeforme

Post by itzdajusticeforme » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:41 pm
Even if you feel the need to dip below Georgetown for a safety (Georgetown is kinda a safety for you), there's very little sense dipping below the Texas/UCLA/USC/Vanderbilt/WashU set unless you have a very specific reason to want to be in a particular city or study with a particular professor. UVA2B is right that you should have a reasonable shot at a full ride in the T14. LSAC doesn't need your money badly enough for you to spam out apps to schools that will never seriously be in contention for you.
Thank you for the guidance - in that case, I'll remove them from my list. What about my chances for schools that don't give merit aid (aka HYS)?

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 pm

itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:47 pm
Stranger wrote:
Thank you for the guidance - in that case, I'll remove them from my list. What about my chances for schools that don't give merit aid (aka HYS)?
I'm not wild about your odds there, because a 3.6 puts you well below the 25th percentile on GPA for any of those three. You're below median LSAT at Harvard or Yale. But there are definitely available examples of URM applicants with comparable numbers getting into those schools, and the more I look, the more I'd say you're justified in applying to all three - it's certainly a better use of your time and money than apps to BU and GW. Obviously, make sure your PS and the like are the strongest you can make them.

You may want to check out the limited available data on myLSN.info: https://mylsn.info/7ys1i5/ (that search is broad, especially on the low end, to try to capture as many data points as possible, and should not be taken to state your actual odds).

itzdajusticeforme

Post by itzdajusticeforme » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:46 am

Stranger wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 pm
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:
I'm not wild about your odds there, because a 3.6 puts you well below the 25th percentile on GPA for any of those three. You're below median LSAT at Harvard or Yale. But there are definitely available examples of URM applicants with comparable numbers getting into those schools, and the more I look, the more I'd say you're justified in applying to all three - it's certainly a better use of your time and money than apps to BU and GW. Obviously, make sure your PS and the like are the strongest you can make them.

You may want to check out the limited available data on myLSN (that search is broad, especially on the low end, to try to capture as many data points as possible, and should not be taken to state your actual odds).
Thanks for that link - I'll play around with the tool. I know my GPA isn't stellar, but I'm definitely applying to the T3 and will try to have a solid PS and DS.

p.s. sorry for the slight edit of the quote - the website won't let me "post" external domain URLs.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:37 pm

itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:46 am
Stranger wrote:
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:

You may want to check out the limited available data on myLSN (that search is broad, especially on the low end, to try to capture as many data points as possible, and should not be taken to state your actual odds).
Thanks for that link - I'll play around with the tool. I know my GPA isn't stellar, but I'm definitely applying to the T3 and will try to have a solid PS and DS.

p.s. sorry for the slight edit of the quote - the website won't let me "post" external domain URLs.
No worries about the slight edit. And you have literally nothing to be ashamed of with that GPA. My undergrad GPA was more than a point lower at 2.52, which was still good enough for waitlists at UVA and Northwestern (I wound up withdrawing from them rather than waiting to see if I could get in), an acceptance at WashU, and 2/3 scholly at W&L (for full context, I'm a mid-30s white male with bland work experience and an LSAT score within a point of yours). Your numbers would be competitive for most of the T13 even without any sort of URM boost, and I fully expect you to get to decide between wonderful outcomes.

itzdajusticeforme

Post by itzdajusticeforme » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:33 pm

Stranger wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:37 pm
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:

No worries about the slight edit. And you have literally nothing to be ashamed of with that GPA. My undergrad GPA was more than a point lower at 2.52, which was still good enough for waitlists at UVA and Northwestern (I wound up withdrawing from them rather than waiting to see if I could get in), an acceptance at WashU, and 2/3 scholly at W&L (for full context, I'm a mid-30s white male with bland work experience and an LSAT score within a point of yours). Your numbers would be competitive for most of the T13 even without any sort of URM boost, and I fully expect you to get to decide between wonderful outcomes.
Thanks so much for the kind words, and listen - you're a badass. What a cycle! WashU is truly lucky to have someone like you join its ranks. Clearly your GPA doesn't define you, nor should it. Wishing you nothing but the best with 1L!

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:43 pm

itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:33 pm
Stranger wrote:
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:

Thanks so much for the kind words, and listen - you're a badass. What a cycle! WashU is truly lucky to have someone like you join its ranks. Clearly your GPA doesn't define you, nor should it. Wishing you nothing but the best with 1L!
Oh, I was team money over prestige, and took discount W&L over full freight WashU. It's meant being closer to my wife, and I'm happy with the decision. Ultimately, you'll get to make your own, and keep in mind that once you've eliminated places that don't make sense from a debt/job prospects perspective, finding somewhere you'll be happy matters, too. But the choosing threads are another subforum, and several months in your future.

itzdajusticeforme

Post by itzdajusticeforme » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:08 pm

Stranger wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:43 pm
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:

Oh, I was team money over prestige, and took discount W&L over full freight WashU. It's meant being closer to my wife, and I'm happy with the decision. Ultimately, you'll get to make your own, and keep in mind that once you've eliminated places that don't make sense from a debt/job prospects perspective, finding somewhere you'll be happy matters, too. But the choosing threads are another subforum, and several months in your future.
Apologies for the late response - I've been avoiding social media and forums to work on essays (and you must be busy with 1L at W&L)! So happy W&L offered you money! I'm really hoping for some serious money from my schools.

I noticed that when I used that link you sent to the MyLSN tool, lots of those applicants who got into Stanford, Yale, Harvard, and UChicago with GPAs around mine went to a Top 5/Ivy school. Do you think it would help if my 3.6 was from an Ivy at all?

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:53 pm

itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:08 pm
Stranger wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:43 pm
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:
itzdajusticeforme wrote:
Stranger wrote:

Apologies for the late response - I've been avoiding social media and forums to work on essays (and you must be busy with 1L at W&L)! So happy W&L offered you money! I'm really hoping for some serious money from my schools.

I noticed that when I used that link you sent to the MyLSN tool, lots of those applicants who got into Stanford, Yale, Harvard, and UChicago with GPAs around mine went to a Top 5/Ivy school. Do you think it would help if my 3.6 was from an Ivy at all?
It can help, but it's hard to quantify. It certainly would give you a reason to put in a serious effort on those apps if those schools are outcomes you really want.

itzdajusticeforme

Post by itzdajusticeforme » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:29 pm

Got it - thank you so much, @Stranger!