What are the best "canned brief" sources?

Please post in this forum if you have any questions about law school or legal employment but have not yet entered law school.
Churchill

What are the best "canned brief" sources?

Post by Churchill » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:31 pm

I've heard about "canned briefs" as a way to streamline the case reading process (or the case review process shortly before exams). I'm looking for information on the best sources of these briefs. Which books/software programs/other sources provide the most useful briefs? Or if that's too subjective...what criteria should I consider when choosing what source for canned briefs to use?

Thanks!

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: What are the best "canned brief" sources?

Post by ymmv » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:45 pm

Churchill wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:31 pm
I've heard about "canned briefs" as a way to streamline the case reading process (or the case review process shortly before exams). I'm looking for information on the best sources of these briefs. Which books/software programs/other sources provide the most useful briefs? Or if that's too subjective...what criteria should I consider when choosing what source for canned briefs to use?

Thanks!

Definitely outlines from more senior classmates who’ve taken the class. Canned briefs on the web are often way over-verbose and often miss out on the takeaways your particular professor hammered in class.

If you’re part of any student clubs or groups, there’s a good chance they have an outline database you can pull from.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:19 pm

ppl don't (or shouldn't) use canned briefs to build their outline. your prof will go over the takeaway for the cases they assign, and it's not always the holding. it could be in the dicta, the dissent, concurrence, or something unique about the case procedurally.

ppl use canned briefs to skip readings but be quasi-prepared for cold calls. it's really not all that useful.

some ppl have a "Case List" section in their outlines

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:20 pm

yeah partly what I mean is, just don’t use canned briefs. they’re a crapshoot for class prep and they aren’t particularly helpful for exam study

all the ones I tried in LS were really bad, and usually by the time I’d find a half-decent one I could’ve just skimmed the actual case with more thorough comprehension

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:22 pm

^ agreed with the above.

I found canned briefs more helpful for 2L/3L because I was often too lazy to do the reading and wanted to be able to get through a cold call if necessary. I wouldn’t really recommend them for 1L.

Churchill

Post by Churchill » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:29 pm

@ymmv, @pancakes3, and @waldorf: Thanks for the replies. It sounds like your experience suggests that canned briefs are not helpful during 1L. I'll definitely keep this perspective in mind. Thanks again!