2L summer --> employment

Hennessy

2L summer --> employment

Post by Hennessy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Ok y'all. What is the most appropriate way to do this?

I'm at a very large legal services provider for the summer, doing tenant litigation (some affirmative, some eviction defense.) I wanna make this my post-grad job. Before pandemic, I kind of assumed it would be a breeze, as hiring in housing field was wayyy up and this org. tends to hire summers directly. Under normal circumstances:

Do I have to wait for a position to open up?
Can I just apply without discretion as to the office (so long as it's housing?)
Should I apply directly to my supervisor or go through the hiring director?

what's the timeline - immediately after internship ends, put in an application? or wait til later in the fall / spring to make sure there is a position available?

Nony

Re: 2L summer --> employment

Post by Nony » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:10 pm

So this is just me spitballing as someone who has got jobs, not that I know anything about that job, but a lot of this kind of thing varies by organization, so I don't think there's one clear answer anyone here can give you. What I would suggest doing is: go to your supervisor, tell them that you're really enjoying the job, you think the org is great, and you really want to do this work after graduation, and then ask them if the org hires entry level, if they do, what's the process to apply, and if not, what advice would they give you for doing this kind of work after graduation. Particularly if they tend to hire summers directly, that will give them the chance to fill you in on the process (when to apply, to whom, etc.). If it's common knowledge that they hire directly out of school you can just skip that part and ask about the process for applying, but I think it would make sense still to add something about advice for the field generally, so it's a little bit less "give me a job?" and more "mentor me generally?"

If you're feeling incredibly awkward/shy about asking if they'll hire entry level, you could skip that portion and just say you love the work and what advice would the supervisor give you for future employment, but I think that's a little coy and it makes sense just to ask outright. The only issue I can see with it would be if you came across as entitled/assuming they'll just give you the job, but I can't imagine you actually would, that's just the one risk I can see.

The other thing you could do is talk to someone who's not your supervisor/has no authority over you first, just for information gathering, but I think just asking your supervisor is the quickest/easiest thing to do.

Kümmel

Re: 2L summer --> employment

Post by Kümmel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:04 pm

idk where you’re working but you said very large so if it’s LAS— they discretely posted hiring for 2021 a few days ago. You should apply ASAP regardless of the org. In either event, you should be applying NOW for project based fellowships in housing with your org. Funding is a big ? next year and the only 100% guarantee of a job will be if you come with money.