3.82 GPA from No-Name School, 170 LSAT, Extracurriculars and Internships

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
DrNocto

3.82 GPA from No-Name School, 170 LSAT, Extracurriculars and Internships

Post by DrNocto » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:13 pm

Hey guys! Thanks in advance for reading this stuff, y'all are the best.
I'm aiming for T14 (if possible) and if not, getting a solid scholarship at a regional school.

Graduated from extremely no-name regional school (outside of one strong basketball season) with a 3.82 GPA.
Got a 170 on the LSAT but am willing to retake it if deemed worthwhile.
I'm able to get letters of recommendation from the head of the law and politics concentration in my major (Political Science), my supervisor from the Public Defender's Office, and can probably get ones from my supervisors from my internships.

Extracurriculars are as follows:
  • Volunteered at Public Defender's Office for ~6 months
  • President/founder of student-run think tank focusing on student government accountability and campus policy research that was fairly successful by college club standards
  • Director of Involvement for Debate Club (was going to be president but decided to let the club die due to amount of work needed to revive a failed club)
  • Wrote research paper on public policy that was published in campus research journal
Work experience are as follows:
  • Interned at State Attorney's Office
  • Interned at local corporate-focused (tax/bankruptcy/etc.) law firm

RichardMilhousNixon

Re: 3.82 GPA from No-Name School, 170 LSAT, Extracurriculars and Internships

Post by RichardMilhousNixon » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:36 pm

There's not much we can tell you that you won't find on MyLSN. Which is to say - you have a very decent shot at a t14. Retaking would be worth it if you're dead set on certain outcomes (HYS, t14 full-rides) and think it's likely you could do better, but otherwise I wouldn't sweat it.

Re LoRs though - unless you've been out of school for a significant amount of time, make sure to get two *academic* LoRs (that is, from a professor who taught you in a class or supervised your work in an academic setting).

Otherwise - apply broadly and write Why X statements to maximize your chances.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:43 pm

You'll be fine. I don't think MyLSN is letting me make images of the search results anymore, but here's a tight cluster around your stats: https://mylsn.info/iolp50/

You're probably not getting into HYS without a killer PS, but that's okay. You've got a good chance of going to a T13 with a scholarship. Take a look down at the results past 25 (the rankings on that site are old, but oh well), and you'll see a couple of things: no one bothered reporting their results from some schools at that range, and you start to see some yield-protection out of the likes of BC. By all means apply to the T13, anything else in the T19 you'd go to (if nothing else, to get material for scholarship negotiations), and maybe ONE OR TWO schools outside that range in the region where you want to work. There's no point in paying LSAC for application fees just to have five backup plans.

For the "RETAKE" crowd, here's my obligatory search for what three extra points of LSAT could do for you: https://mylsn.info/4icfss/

Your odds in the CCN range go up in that scenario, and the money moves around in somewhat strange ways, but mostly for the better. You don't need to retake, but could see some material benefits from it. I think you'll be fine if you apply by Halloween with your numbers and a middling to good PS.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:52 pm

prediction: sorting hat offers you Cornell with $$$ but you take Michigan with only $$.

Hey_Everybody

Post by Hey_Everybody » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:54 pm

Yeah, my stats were similar except the GPA was 0.2 lower. Currently at a mid-T14 with a slightly over half tuition scholarship. I'd say that result is probably your floor, and that you could do significantly better since your GPA may be above some T14 medians

tofuspeedstar

Post by tofuspeedstar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 am

Enjoy the T14 w/ $$/$$$ (depending where you go)

HYS p not unless you bump up 4-5 points

Just write a good PS