Yale 250

Get advice and feedback on your personal statement.
Baguette

Yale 250

Post by Baguette » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:57 am

Curious what others think about this approach.

Spoiler:
[hidden for now]
Last edited by Baguette on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Re: Yale 250

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:21 am

I think this is a fantastic PS/250. I only have minor quibbles/suggestions, the writing is very good as is.
Spoiler:
* kingdom of Lydia
* a mainstay of the Iron-Age Mediterranean (its ubiquity contrasts w the lack of understanding of its language, not necessarily its power/might)
* woefully poorly, pick one.
* "my classmateS" (Mary invoked alters as a talking point but it was the second classmate that helped bridge the ideas, then plus you doing the legwork. ties better to your thesis. I'd also take out "Mary" it's distracting)
* "the previous week" -> "during a class discussion" (the timing is less relevant than the location; maybe not class discussion bc you're overusing the word "class" but you get my point)
* maybe not "joy" of organic discoveries, but... fruits?

Nony

Post by Nony » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:01 pm

Or just even “organic discoveries” (since you’re under tough word constraints). I agree with pancakes, I really like it.

Baguette

Post by Baguette » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Thanks, pancakes and Nony! That all makes sense to me. Definitely worth tuning each word in this format.

Do you really think this topic has legs as a PS? I'd love to spill 500 or 600 words on this, but I'm not sure it says much about me as a person (except for being a massive nerd I guess)

Nony

Post by Nony » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:54 pm

I’m definitely not an expert on the Yale 250, but my impression is that this would be better for that purpose. My understanding is that the Yale 250 is its own beast, pretty different from a PS, and can really go in any direction you like, including something more academic. I think as a PS this runs the risk of something I saw in your first PS - being a bit more of an academic argument than being about you. It is very cool that you came up with this connection, but the piece overall reads as an account behind an academic discovery and, as you noted, not really about you.

It might not be bad as a PS, depending on how you developed it into something about you a bit more broadly. Like, what about you is this one specific example of (and if possible, how does it incline you/make you suited to law)?But then you’d still have to come up with a 250. 😁

I actually I think a PS about how you’re a massive nerd would be fine, except that it runs the risk of raising the question “why law?” I don’t think every PS has to do the “why law” thing, and as I’ve mentioned before, that can reveal naive/uninformed views of what law is. But if the nerdity is all intensely academic (rather than, say, comic books and cons), it might raise some concerns.

(All this will totally be on the margins. And I could the wrong and the faculty at Yale will love it, so take this all with a grain of salt!)

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:36 am

I think it works as a PS because it tells us which archetypal student you are in that discussion. i don't think it raises the question of "why law" so much as "why law instead of history?" your grind-it-out nature implies that you'd be a good fit for law (or at least certain/most practices).

additionally, i think it's pretty interesting subject material, and it works better as a Yale250 because it highlights your credentials beyond GPA/LSAT.

i actually think it might not work as well for a full 500/600 word PS because you run the risk of boring the reader by getting too technical in your research, or try to write it as narrative/screenplay where you're setting the scene of a classroom, writing like Dan Brown. this is perfect as is. the message gets across and doubling its length would only provide marginal benefits, if any.