Greetings

Join in the wild mass guessing about the odds of your numbers getting you into a particular school.
TrishaKaren

Greetings

Post by TrishaKaren »

I had a terrible 2.x undergrad GPA and 145 LSAT score and spent a couple of years at TJSL when they were ABA accredited before they academically dismissed me because my gpa had to be .04 higher.

That ended 2015. Since then I retook and got a 149 and have 21 credits towards an M.S. in Criminal Justice with a 3.714 and only 15 credits remaining. I just signed a 1 year lease in N. Texas and the closest law school is over a 45 minute drive from here (but their application deadline was June 30 anyhow). Do you guys know of any school that would admit me right now? Also, might the first semester be online due to COVID19?

Thanks for any info. you can provide.
pancakes3

Re: Greetings

Post by pancakes3 »

"a couple years" ?

if you've taken that many credits, categorically no.
Puff

Post by Puff »

I think at this point you might want to look into careers that do not require a JD.
TrishaKaren

Post by TrishaKaren »

pancakes3 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:09 am "a couple years" ?

It was less than 50% of their p/t program.
TrishaKaren

Post by TrishaKaren »

Slytherpuff wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 am I think at this point you might want to look into careers that do not require a JD.
Thanks. For nothin!!
pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 »

TrishaKaren wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:56 pm
pancakes3 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:09 am "a couple years" ?

It was less than 50% of their p/t program.
so how many credits did you complete? did you fail any credits? get D's? C's? still seems categorically prohibitive to me.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

TrishaKaren wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:56 pm
Slytherpuff wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 am I think at this point you might want to look into careers that do not require a JD.
Thanks. For nothin!!
I know someone from my class at W&L restarted at Indiana after 1L, and a couple of folks transferred to FSU after three semesters. I didn't think either of those two things were possible until I saw them happen. So there's a chance some school out there wouldn't treat your previous coursework as prohibitive. I don't know what school that would be, nor do I think there's anyone active on here who would know.

The problem is, even setting all that aside, the class of schools you're looking at with your numbers is already a dubious prospect. Those schools create a lot of unemployed JDs. If you had an LSAT or GPA that was good, schools could ignore the other being bad (and as the bearer of a 2.52 undergrad GPA that was over a decade old in my application cycle, I can assure you it left some doors closed). Law schools at the tier of schools you'll get into with that combination are a high cost (typically debt) gamble on whether you'll get any legal employment whatsoever.

Your previous law school record is now an additional liability. Now, even if you could become the poster child for LSAT turnaround success, you might not be able to get into a good (or even marginally decent) school. You almost certainly won't find a good scholarship opportunity. No one here has dedicated time to learning which schools will accept a student with such extensive prior coursework, in large part because the practice is basically unheard of at schools that are categorically worth going to, or even worth going to with large scholarships.

I'm generally more of an optimist about schools outside the t13 than most others on this site. In the choosing threads, I'm usually the guy who evaluates the school options and gives reasons to favor one or another while the overwhelming advice is "retake." I don't believe your plan to attempt to return to law school after washing out of a no-longer accredited school nearly halfway through is likely to result in anything but misery. If you do find out what school will take you, I hope you very seriously evaluate the long-term prospects before enrolling. Use Law School Transparency to see how many unemployed JDs that school is turning out in good years and bad. And right now, assume we're heading for some bad years for legal employment.
ZiporaTilda

Post by ZiporaTilda »

But they are very hard to come by.
pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 »

there are many more careers that don't need a JD than those that do
icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken »

There are arguably more careers where a JD is a downside (overqualified, etc.) than where it's useful, let alone required.
Jake

Post by Jake »

icechicken wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:26 am There are arguably more careers where a JD is a downside (overqualified, etc.) than where it's useful, let alone required.
And good luck just "leaving it off" the resume too. Between "the work number" and people just googling you to see the full first page filled with Avvo and knock-off versions of Avvo too. In theory someone who who had ONLY a JD without the license and never did even document review could pull it off and just claim that they were in prison for those college years or something. Full seriousness some of the lower paid temp jobs that I've done that almost seems like a requirement to work there. "What do YOU MEAN you AREN'T on parole, then WHY you here man?!?!?". Yeah, exact quote. Zero joke.
Jake

Post by Jake »

TrishaKaren wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:15 am I had a terrible 2.x undergrad GPA and 145 LSAT score and spent a couple of years at TJSL when they were ABA accredited before they academically dismissed me because my gpa had to be .04 higher.

That ended 2015. Since then I retook and got a 149 and have 21 credits towards an M.S. in Criminal Justice with a 3.714 and only 15 credits remaining. I just signed a 1 year lease in N. Texas and the closest law school is over a 45 minute drive from here (but their application deadline was June 30 anyhow). Do you guys know of any school that would admit me right now? Also, might the first semester be online due to COVID19?

Thanks for any info. you can provide.
I do wish OP the best, but being kicked out of a school that was itself kicked out of the ABA...........not a great combo.

Truly do wish the best with life though. I agree with other posters to look into all options. Law is saturated right now anyways.