What are my chances? At 32 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
pancakes3

Re: What are my chances? At 32 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by pancakes3 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 pm

+1 to Nov scores not being too late to cop scholly. also +1 to switch from a "cycle-oriented" approach to applying to a "score-oriented" approach.

it's been established that 32 isn't too old, but neither is 33.

Stranger

Re: What are my chances? At 32 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by Stranger » Fri May 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:11 pm
I don't think so - I applied at the beginning of January and got decent $$ from a few schools. November LSAT would be fine unless things have changed (in the six years since I applied haha). So I'd see how your practice test scores are doing right before November, and if you are consistently scoring 170+ with real testing conditions, go ahead and apply that cycle. If you need more time, then I'd shoot for a spring 2021 LSAT and then you can spend the next few months preparing your application materials or studying for a retake, with the goal of submitting your application right when the submission process begins in fall 2021.
Bolded for emphasis. Remember that part of those real testing conditions is that you will be stressed out (so try to find a way to practice under pressure), and unless they've dramatically changed the test in the last year or so, there is an unscored experimental section. Don't let yourself show up unprepared for the tension and endurance aspects of the LSAT. I simulated the tension by practicing in noisy, public places (McDonald's and Starbucks are both examples of places that will let you sit for hours if you buy a beverage or snack). Another poster on here simulated the endurance aspect by doing two unscored sections in her PTs. One mistake I recommend you do not repeat was the time I took half of a PT under a heat lamp before I realized that's what was making me tired and sluggish. There are plenty of things you can do to prepare yourself of course, so do what works for you. But remember that it will be a long slog under pressure in (likely) an unfamiliar environment, and you should do your best to be ready for that.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Indecision wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:44 pm
Hello,

I finished undergrad back in Late 2010 with a 3.23 GPA. (Major GPA 3.6 in History) I was considering this during my last year and after I finished but I never made the next step. My original intent was to take a couple years off, think about it, then make a decision. Well, life happened and that decision never came. Embarrassing? Yes, very..

I haven’t even taken the LSAT (although i am preparing for it), but I would assume that I will need to take a course at some point as it’s been several years since I attended college. I can’t really gauge how well I will do. I took logic in college but again this was almost 10 years ago.

I currently work for in operations/service at a bank but I find my self often questioning what I am doing with my life. Non Stop existential questions and I really dislike the culture.

I always think about lawschool, and it often comes up in conversations with people. I actually find the idea somewhat daunting, especially considering I would likely have to take student loans to pay for it(and to SURVIVE). I still have about 30k from undergrad. The debt issue is a big reason why I have never taken the next step. In addition, I haven’t been entirely sold that this is what I want to do. With that being said, it often resurfaces. I have no idea if I would get any assistance. My assumption would be very little to none. I am a single white heterosexual male. I was born in the lower working class (although now I make just north of 50k, However I don't see my job lasting for another 3 years, Layoffs could be impending.) I have had several health issues, For Example:Cancer in 08/09. Major Depression, GAD, Thyroid issues. I am not sure where that would put me. I've had a number of jobs, all relatively entry level and all with very zero meaning to me.

I highly doubt I will receive a scholarship or some sort off offer. It just seems unlikely based off my GPA. Maybe I am wrong?

Another issue: I am 32 and will Be 33 by spring. It seems like the time for this decision has past and I would be in a disadvantage. My GPA was not as good as it SHOULD have been, as I had one bad semester at the beginning of college. I had a couple extracurricular activities: Study abroad, Volunteering. However, again this was 9+ years ago, I am not sure how all of this would look. This really should have happened within at least 3 years from graduating college.

Thoughts?

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 pm
+1 to Nov scores not being too late to cop scholly. also +1 to switch from a "cycle-oriented" approach to applying to a "score-oriented" approach.

I just turned 33.

I will be 34 if I go in Fall 21

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:29 pm

Indecision wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm
pancakes3 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 pm

I just turned 33.

I will be 34 if I go in Fall 21
yeah 34 is way too old for law school.

nchrpmn

Post by nchrpmn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:38 pm

Indecision wrote:
I highly doubt I will receive a scholarship or some sort off offer. It just seems unlikely based off my GPA. Maybe I am wrong?

Another issue: I am 32 and will by 33 next spring. It seems like the time for this decision has past and I would be in a disadvantage. My GPA was not as good as it SHOULD have been, as I had one bad semester at the beginning of college. I had a couple extracurricular activities: Study abroad, Volunteering. However, again this was 9+ years ago, I am not sure how all of this would look. This really should have happened within at least 3 years from graduating college.

Thoughts?
Don't doubt yourself. There are a ton of people with less traditional backgrounds than yours who go to law school and excel. What you should be asking yourself is whether this is the right decision for you.

A large -- and I mean substantially large -- proportion of law students make the mistake of going to law school because they think it's prestigious, they think it will guarantee them a high-paying job, they don't know math and can't go to med school, and/or simply think it's the next step after getting a liberal arts degree. What happens with many of these people is that they go into hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt just to get a job that pays $5k more than their previous one.

Think of law school as an investment. You don't want to spend any more than you will receive. This means if you're not able to get into a top law school that will open the door for you to work at a high-paying firm (or another high-paying job), you shouldn't go into much debt. There are lots of options to go to a regional/public school that won't cost a lot and will open doors in the city/state you live in. Search "How to calculate whether School X is worth the cost or not" on Reddit for a great thread.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:00 pm

You've already gotten a lot of thoughts and feedback from people - the overwhelming response is that you are not too old for law school and that we have posters on LSL who have attended law school in their 30s and 40s. Do you have any pending questions that haven't been answered?

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:38 pm

nchrpmn wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:38 pm
Indecision wrote:

Another issue: I am 32 and will by 33 next spring. It seems like the time for this decision has past and I would be in a disadvantage. My GPA was not as good as it SHOULD have been, as I had one bad semester at the beginning of college. I had a couple extracurricular activities: Study abroad, Volunteering. However, again this was 9+ years ago, I am not sure how all of this would look. This really should have happened within at least 3 years from graduating college.

Thoughts?
Don't doubt yourself. There are a ton of people with less traditional backgrounds than yours who go to law school and excel. What you should be asking yourself is whether this is the right decision for you.

A large -- and I mean substantially large -- proportion of law students make the mistake of going to law school because they think it's prestigious, they think it will guarantee them a high-paying job, they don't know math and can't go to med school, and/or simply think it's the next step after getting a liberal arts degree. What happens with many of these people is that they go into hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt just to get a job that pays $5k more than their previous one.

Think of law school as an investment. You don't want to spend any more than you will receive. This means if you're not able to get into a top law school that will open the door for you to work at a high-paying firm (or another high-paying job), you shouldn't go into much debt. There are lots of options to go to a regional/public school that won't cost a lot and will open doors in the city/state you live in. Search "How to calculate whether School X is worth the cost or not" on Reddit for a great thread.

Trust me, over the past 9 years I have thought about everything in that reddit article and that is exactly why I never made a move.
I even broke it down to monthly student loan payments, car note? Rent like that thread did. Plus my gpa held me back. It’s not as strong as it could have been, I had a tough time adjusting when I first started college and had a bumpy road, however I finished off strong (in upper level classes). That thread makes it even difficult to commit law school now that I’m older because in essence I have less time to pay loan debt off.

For me, a 60-70k year job as a law graduate would not cut it. I have zero interest in this if that will be my salary.

It’s impossible to determine what will happen.

tofuspeedstar

Post by tofuspeedstar » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:53 pm

Indecision wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:41 pm
Stranger wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:24 pm
I'm a 36 year old 2L. My GPA in undergrad was substantially worse than yours (2.52). But I was able to rock the LSAT, and that's often enough to bring out some scholarship offers. I'm at Washington & Lee on a little over a 2/3 scholarship. If you've got the ability to get above a 170, you should see some substantial scholarship offers from decent regional schools.

That’s my thought process.

Can I ask you some personal questions?
How long did you consider law school before going? Are you married with kids? I worry about the latter a lot as I am single.

I feel rather embarrassed that I considered this off an on for several years but never took the next step.
I pondered for ~5 or so years before going back.

Just graduated, I’m 31. My GPA was mucccccch worse than yours.

But as a poster mentioned earlier, ask yourself why you want to go? It’s three years worth of income you’re giving up, and it’s stressful.

One of my classmates that graduated with me is 37 and she’s going into big law.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:10 pm

tofuspeedstar wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:53 pm
Indecision wrote:
Stranger wrote:
I'm a 36 year old 2L. My GPA in undergrad was substantially worse than yours (2.52). But I was able to rock the LSAT, and that's often enough to bring out some scholarship offers. I'm at Washington & Lee on a little over a 2/3 scholarship. If you've got the ability to get above a 170, you should see some substantial scholarship offers from decent regional schools.

How long did you consider law school before going? Are you married with kids? I worry about the latter a lot as I am single.

I feel rather embarrassed that I considered this off an on for several years but never took the next step.

But as a poster mentioned earlier, ask yourself why you want to go? It’s three years worth of income you’re giving up, and it’s stressful.

What school did you go too?

tofuspeedstar

Post by tofuspeedstar » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Indecision wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:10 pm
tofuspeedstar wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:53 pm
Indecision wrote:
Stranger wrote:

What school did you go too?
I went to a T25.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:42 pm

How did you get into a top 25 law school with a much worse gpa?

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 pm

Hey so I heard the Lsat is changing? Writing section is a take home?

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:33 pm

Indecision wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:42 pm
With the right LSAT, plenty of folks with sub-3 GPAs get into good schools. I had an offer (but no scholly) from WashU. Several folks with 2.8x or 2.9x got into UVA, Penn, Northwestern, etc. in my cycle. Early applications help a lot, in that regard.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:40 pm

Stranger wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:33 pm
Indecision wrote:
With the right LSAT, plenty of folks with sub-3 GPAs get into good schools. I had an offer (but no scholly) from WashU. Several folks with 2.8x or 2.9x got into UVA, Penn, Northwestern, etc. in my cycle. Early applications help a lot, in that regard.

If I take the lsat in November would that be too late for an early application?

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:53 pm

Indecision wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:40 pm
Stranger wrote:
Indecision wrote:

Traditionally, early was before Halloween. I took the September LSAT, and did some of my applications in October, some in November (and three long shots with fee waivers in early December). Based on what I was seeing on LSN, folks who applied to W&L a week before I did were getting about $5k/year more scholly.

I doubt all schools (or cycles) feature that sharp a pattern, but there are definitely advantages to getting an app in during the first couple months it's open. I think mylsn.info broke some of those patterns down. Hopefully, it's still up and running (haven't checked in ages).

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:39 pm

Stranger wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:53 pm
Indecision wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:40 pm
Stranger wrote:
Indecision wrote:

Traditionally, early was before Halloween. I took the September LSAT, and did some of my applications in October, some in November (and three long shots with fee waivers in early December). Based on what I was seeing on LSN, folks who applied to W&L a week before I did were getting about $5k/year more scholly.

I doubt all schools (or cycles) feature that sharp a pattern, but there are definitely advantages to getting an app in during the first couple months it's open. I think mylsn.info broke some of those patterns down. Hopefully, it's still up and running (haven't checked in ages).
Shit.

I doubt I will be ready for September’s LSAT , probably not October’s either.

November is much more ideal but I take that it’s too late for Ed.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:49 pm

Remember that admissions will not be following typical cycle patterns this year. That doesn't mean November will necessarily be any better/worse for the upcoming admission cycle, but it won't be as formulaic as in years past because everything from testing to LORs are frustrated by the current public health crisis. If I were to guess, I would say a November LSAT will not materially affect your cycle results either positively or negatively. It's conjecture of course, so take it FWIW, but this is easily the most unprecedented admissions cycle in memory. It's possible it'll be insanely competitive with early applications because college graduate jobs have dried up, causing an exponential increase in law school applications. It's also possible a sizable portion of the law school applicant pool will delay a year because of the uncertainty of the admissions results and the prospective hiring in a bear market. Your guess is as good as anyone's on that.

Don't fear applying with a November LSAT in this environment. The worst case is you won't get the results you want, in which case you have the backdrop of applying again when the environment is much more predictable.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:24 am

UVA2B wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:49 pm
Remember that admissions will not be following typical cycle patterns this year. That doesn't mean November will necessarily be any better/worse for the upcoming admission cycle, but it won't be as formulaic as in years past because everything from testing to LORs are frustrated by the current public health crisis. If I were to guess, I would say a November LSAT will not materially affect your cycle results either positively or negatively. It's conjecture of course, so take it FWIW, but this is easily the most unprecedented admissions cycle in memory. It's possible it'll be insanely competitive with early applications because college graduate jobs have dried up, causing an exponential increase in law school applications. It's also possible a sizable portion of the law school applicant pool will delay a year because of the uncertainty of the admissions results and the prospective hiring in a bear market. Your guess is as good as anyone's on that.

Don't fear applying with a November LSAT in this environment. The worst case is you won't get the results you want, in which case you have the backdrop of applying again when the environment is much more predictable.

I have a feeling it will be super competitive. Recent college grads can’t find work anywhere, not even waiting tables... might be the best option for some.

**Sigh**

This makes me regret not going years ago more.

There were a few windows over the past few years that made the most sense. 2011-2014. 2015- 2016. It’s possible I picked the worst time to pursue this, but oddly my decision to pursue law school now has absolutely Nothing to do with covid. It’s been on the back burner for years.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 am

you gotta remove your emotions from the equation. this is a business decision.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:51 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 am
you gotta remove your emotions from the equation. this is a business decision.

Touché

tofuspeedstar

Post by tofuspeedstar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:41 pm

Indecision wrote:
I crushed it at a T100 and transferred.

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:03 am

I’m not confident I will be ready in November.
I would by lying to you if I told you there hasn’t been gaps in my studying. I’ve had a few time gaps of the past couple months of studying. It’s not good

Indecision

Post by Indecision » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:05 pm

I may bail on this. I think the window for me pursuing this has passed. I put my self in a tough situation. I’m not remotely ready for the lsat and my studying has been inconsistent due to personal extended family issues.

Plus I just turned 33, so I will be in my late 30s when I graduate. At that point how am I going to find time for a family? Or to find a spouse?

I don’t believe I will be ready for the lsat in November, which mean I will have to take it in the spring and apply the next cycle. That seems unfortunate.

I also have no idea how I will survive my first year of law school.

How will I pay rent or the car I’m financing?
Any ideas or thoughts?

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:21 pm

I mean, this is an incredibly personal decision. I don’t think going to law school will have any effect on finding a spouse or making time for a family, unless you decide it will. You don’t have to put that off for school. Age isn’t an issue unless you decide it is; plenty of people go to law school your age and older.

As for rent and your car, that’s what student loans (or scholarships) are for. You get money to live off of, not just for tuition (that said, car payments aren’t generally included, so that would depend on how much your payments cost).

The LSAT is a bigger deal, but whether you can improve your score by November or should apply in January really depends on what you’re doing now and how your studying is going. Again, no one can comment on that based on what you’ve said so far.

There’s no magic window that closes. You could apply next year if that works better. You could work on the LSAT and decide later. None of this is anything you have to freak out about now.