What are my chances? At 32 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
pancakes3

Re: What are my chances? At 32 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by pancakes3 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 pm

+1 to Nov scores not being too late to cop scholly. also +1 to switch from a "cycle-oriented" approach to applying to a "score-oriented" approach.

it's been established that 32 isn't too old, but neither is 33.

Stranger

Re: What are my chances? At 32 years old, Should I try to go to law-school. Please give me your honest feedback.

Post by Stranger » Fri May 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:11 pm
I don't think so - I applied at the beginning of January and got decent $$ from a few schools. November LSAT would be fine unless things have changed (in the six years since I applied haha). So I'd see how your practice test scores are doing right before November, and if you are consistently scoring 170+ with real testing conditions, go ahead and apply that cycle. If you need more time, then I'd shoot for a spring 2021 LSAT and then you can spend the next few months preparing your application materials or studying for a retake, with the goal of submitting your application right when the submission process begins in fall 2021.
Bolded for emphasis. Remember that part of those real testing conditions is that you will be stressed out (so try to find a way to practice under pressure), and unless they've dramatically changed the test in the last year or so, there is an unscored experimental section. Don't let yourself show up unprepared for the tension and endurance aspects of the LSAT. I simulated the tension by practicing in noisy, public places (McDonald's and Starbucks are both examples of places that will let you sit for hours if you buy a beverage or snack). Another poster on here simulated the endurance aspect by doing two unscored sections in her PTs. One mistake I recommend you do not repeat was the time I took half of a PT under a heat lamp before I realized that's what was making me tired and sluggish. There are plenty of things you can do to prepare yourself of course, so do what works for you. But remember that it will be a long slog under pressure in (likely) an unfamiliar environment, and you should do your best to be ready for that.