Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Cannonballer
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:31 pm

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by Cannonballer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:36 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:37 pm
Do a lot of Harvard law students grill their meals?
My husband and I grill any chance we can when the weather is nice. But we're lucky enough to have a little yard where we can keep a grill. Most people who live off-campus are in bigger apartment buildings where grilling is likely not possible. And as others have mentioned, the weather precludes grilling for much of the year.

hls2022fella
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by hls2022fella » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:47 am

Currently looking at courses for 2L Fall. Is 4 classes a good number to take, roughly? In terms of credits, like 4+4+4+2.

User avatar
pneumonia
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:35 am

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by pneumonia » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:53 pm

hls2022fella wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:47 am
Currently looking at courses for 2L Fall. Is 4 classes a good number to take, roughly? In terms of credits, like 4+4+4+2.
Depends on your goals, really. I think you still need to average 12 hours/semester for 2L and 3L to graduate on time, but other than that it is whether you want to slack, get magna, take lots of subjects, etc.

hls2022fella
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by hls2022fella » Sun May 17, 2020 5:43 pm

pneumonia wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:53 pm
hls2022fella wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:47 am
Currently looking at courses for 2L Fall. Is 4 classes a good number to take, roughly? In terms of credits, like 4+4+4+2.
Depends on your goals, really. I think you still need to average 12 hours/semester for 2L and 3L to graduate on time, but other than that it is whether you want to slack, get magna, take lots of subjects, etc.
Follow up question, if you have a second. I'm currently registered for 15 credits for this coming semester. Is that unusual for a 2L? do you think January EIP might justify a slightly more intensive credit load?

User avatar
dcc617
Posts: 1061
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by dcc617 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:24 pm

Keep in mind that Harvard calculates honors by adding your 1L GPA, 2L GPA, and 3L GPA and then dividing by 3. It doesn't matter so a 2L where you get the minimum number of graded credits impacts honors exactly as much as an overloaded 2L.

Which means, don't take a bunch of credits looking to bump up your honors calculation. I took the minimum I needed to graduate. You're definitely better off doing less than doing more and getting lower grades.

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by heythatslife » Sun May 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Why would a January EIP warrant a more intensive courseload? I don’t follow. If anything, I would do the opposite so that you’re adequately prepping for EIP starting in December.

User avatar
pneumonia
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:35 am

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by pneumonia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:53 pm

hls2022fella wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:43 pm
pneumonia wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:53 pm
hls2022fella wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:47 am
Currently looking at courses for 2L Fall. Is 4 classes a good number to take, roughly? In terms of credits, like 4+4+4+2.
Depends on your goals, really. I think you still need to average 12 hours/semester for 2L and 3L to graduate on time, but other than that it is whether you want to slack, get magna, take lots of subjects, etc.
Follow up question, if you have a second. I'm currently registered for 15 credits for this coming semester. Is that unusual for a 2L? do you think January EIP might justify a slightly more intensive credit load?
First, no, it is not unusual to have a single semester of 15 hours, but I do think it would be unusual to have four of them. At that pace, you would graduate with 18 hours above the requirement--more depending on your winter schedules. You need 52 upper-level hours to graduate. That is an average of 12 per semester + 2 per winter session. I tended to have pretty full semesters, and I took several classes more than I needed to, but I was also not very grade conscious. My magna-focused classmates tended to take only the minimum number of hours required, and to take them at strategic intervals (i.e., no more than one or two black letter classes at a time).

Second, no. If anything, January EIP means you should take a more relaxed credit load. I you got straight Ps 1L fall, then I could see the appeal of trying to get an extra H or two next semester. But if you got average or really good grades, then I think you're best served (for EIP purposes) by aiming to get as many Hs as you can with as little effort as possible. Two four-hour multi-sections + one two-hour seminar + one two-hour clinic would be a good fit, I think. It probably does make sense to have at least four different courses on your transcript, though.

gregoriomartinon
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 3:54 am

Re: Harvard Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by gregoriomartinon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:46 pm

When do you start to see movement on the waitlists? I'm a rising 2L ranked like #12 on the waitlist for a seminar I really want- is there hope?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests