Last few LR and RC points?

Studying, strategy, waiting
icedcoffee

Last few LR and RC points?

Post by icedcoffee » Sat May 09, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm consistently getting -1 on my LR sections and -2 on RC, and I just don't know how to get those last few points. I have the LSAT trainer, but I've found the LR and RC material in it to be way too easy and unhelpful for those few questions. I know this is a good problem to have but would love some advice!

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Re: Last few LR and RC points?

Post by icechicken » Sat May 09, 2020 5:46 pm

You're pretty near the ceiling for useful instruction if you're getting a total of -4 across those three sections. In other words, you clearly know how the questions work to a point that can't be improved on, and the difference between getting a given question is mostly a matter of coping with the time constraints and psychological pressures of the test so that you can execute properly. Third-party practice materials aren't going to help you because they aren't designed for people who already can intuitively navigate the LSAT.

You don't really need to do much here since you're on pace for a 175 or so, but if you want to eke out the last few points you should just focus on practice tests. Try to be more efficient in terms of time on the first 15-20 questions of a section so that you can really bear down and/or review the tougher ones at the end. Carefully review the questions you miss and try to find blind spots.

Also, while it's useful to gun for -0 on LR sections, being consistently perfect at RC is basically impossible. It's just too easy to miss something, or intuit something the wrong way, even if you are a strong reader and attack the questions effectively. Just go and take the test already and cash in the preparation you've done.

RichardMilhousNixon

Post by RichardMilhousNixon » Sat May 09, 2020 7:54 pm

In addition to the above, I'd recommend:
- Making a word document of every single LR question you get wrong (for reasons not having to do with misreading or misbubbling), typing up an explanation, and going through them until you are consistently getting them right.
- Making "packets" that consist just of longer/harder LR questions and doing them timed.

RC is trickier but a general piece of advice that helped me and I think is especially true on the newer tests (or was back in my day) - The answer to almost every question is something you can point to in the text you are given. Don't think too hard or try to "analyze." What you're being asked to do is regurgitate. In general - pay attention to whether you are struggling with detail questions or with broader "theme/summary" questions.

app

Post by app » Tue May 12, 2020 3:04 pm

icedcoffee wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:23 pm
Hi all,

I'm consistently getting -1 on my LR sections and -2 on RC, and I just don't know how to get those last few points. I have the LSAT trainer, but I've found the LR and RC material in it to be way too easy and unhelpful for those few questions. I know this is a good problem to have but would love some advice!
what's the score you're shooting for? with only these misses you're already close to 180. what PTs are these scores on? older PTs have much easier RC, so that score is not representative of current RC scores.

icedcoffee

Post by icedcoffee » Wed May 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice!
app wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:04 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:23 pm
Hi all,

what's the score you're shooting for? with only these misses you're already close to 180. what PTs are these scores on? older PTs have much easier RC, so that score is not representative of current RC scores.

I'm shooting for a 180 and I've been using PTs 50-60 for timed sections and 60+ for full tests! The most recent one I did was from 2017.