Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

finals

help
11
46%
please
13
54%
 
Total votes: 24

User avatar
Experiment626
Moderator
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Experiment626 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Anyone else starting to feel like the phrase "It gets easier after 1L because you don't have legal writing" was a lie?

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Stranger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Nah, every bit of work that's making this year hard is the result of my own choices. "2L they work you to death" is its own sort of lie - the reality is, 2L, you volunteer to be worked to death.

User avatar
Littlewing67
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Littlewing67 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:35 pm

2L has been 2Much :(

User avatar
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 am

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Mikey » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:09 pm

Littlewing67 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:35 pm
2L has been 2Much :(
:cry:

User avatar
Experiment626
Moderator
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Mikey wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:09 pm
Littlewing67 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:35 pm
2L has been 2Much :(
:cry:
Amen to both of these.

However, with everything going on in the news, Con Law in 2L as an evening student has been a bit more interesting than I imagined.

User avatar
Hennessy
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Hennessy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:21 pm

i havent read for admin in like two weeks, maybe more.

also i already dont want to write any more of my note.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Stranger » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:39 pm

I have a Motion in Limine to write that I just can't bring myself to start typing (though I've at least started sketching out my argument). The professor just gave an extension of the deadline (from noon Friday to 5 PM Saturday), and I know I'm not going to touch it again until tomorrow night, at least. But I finished my off-brief argument for our internal moot court competition, so at least that won't be distracting me. Just my independent research.

User avatar
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 am

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:04 pm

Hennessy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:21 pm
i havent read for admin in like two weeks, maybe more.

also i already dont want to write any more of my note.
i haven't read for anything. i'm a crappy student, man. 2LOL? more like screw this crap :lol:

User avatar
Slippin’ Jimmy
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:12 am

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 am

Any suggestions for FedCourt Supplements?

User avatar
Slippin’ Jimmy
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:12 am

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 am

Any suggestions for FedCourt Supplements?

User avatar
Brushedsuedeluvr
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Hennessy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:21 pm

also i already dont want to write any more of my note.
The Note requirement is absolute ASS. The only time I cried in law school was because 8 professors declined to be my Note advisor and I had like less than 72 hours to find one.

we should ban all student notes, i hate mine

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 4683
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:49 pm

I hate law schools (so much more now that I’m in practice) for pushing inexperienced poli sci majors, most of whom literally have never worked or managed a team or been an adult more than budgeting their allowance over a semester because haha adulting is so hard, to “publish” articles masquerading like they’re geared towards a profession they literally know nothing about because they’ve had three semesters of Socratic method circle jerking from other poli sci majors who also never engaged in said profession. You learn in five minutes in practice that any article written by a student is about as useful as Wikipedia (usually even less so because students tend to exaggerate certainty where there is ambiguity because they’re being edited by other inexperienced morons).

Could you imagine how much of a fucking joke any other profession would regard its research institutions if they had, for example, first year med students writing articles critiquing or praising niche surgical specialties?

User avatar
Hennessy
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Hennessy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Brushedsuedeluvr wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:27 pm
Hennessy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:21 pm

also i already dont want to write any more of my note.
The Note requirement is absolute ASS. The only time I cried in law school was because 8 professors declined to be my Note advisor and I had like less than 72 hours to find one.

we should ban all student notes, i hate mine
my note is on a policy question and my advisor refuses to accept that and keeps trying to get me to ground it in a question of law, hes like "but what do the courts say" and im like HOMIE THATS NOT THE ONLY ISSUE HERE

User avatar
Brushedsuedeluvr
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Hennessy wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:52 pm
Brushedsuedeluvr wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:27 pm
Hennessy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:21 pm

also i already dont want to write any more of my note.
The Note requirement is absolute ASS. The only time I cried in law school was because 8 professors declined to be my Note advisor and I had like less than 72 hours to find one.

we should ban all student notes, i hate mine
my note is on a policy question and my advisor refuses to accept that and keeps trying to get me to ground it in a question of law, hes like "but what do the courts say" and im like HOMIE THATS NOT THE ONLY ISSUE HERE
Lmaoooo SAME. Mine is on a circuit split and very policy heavy; my professor wants me to do a quantitative look at how state courts have ruled on the issue and I’m like...I have no idea how to run stata, or even GET that information without spending a billion hours on Lexis

somelawperson
Posts: 2968
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by somelawperson » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:04 am

Stranger wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:39 pm
do you want OP of this?

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Stranger » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:14 pm

somelawperson wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:04 am
Stranger wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:39 pm
do you want OP of this?
Given that it took me over two weeks to see this (I basically checked out when the semester got too heavy, just taking a breather during exams), that's probably not a great idea.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Stranger » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:02 pm

Anybody else feeling adrift trying to prepare for those pass/fail exams?

JusticeforTyrion
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by JusticeforTyrion » Wed May 06, 2020 11:15 pm

Not sure what to do about the summer. I'm planning to go into public interest and have an other to work remotely in a public defender's office but would prefer more physical work. Wondering I should look into working for a local prosecutor's office and seeing if I would get some physical time in the courtroom. Any thoughts?

User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 3738
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by UVA2B » Wed May 06, 2020 11:19 pm

JusticeforTyrion wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:15 pm
Not sure what to do about the summer. I'm planning to go into public interest and have an other to work remotely in a public defender's office but would prefer more physical work. Wondering I should look into working for a local prosecutor's office and seeing if I would get some physical time in the courtroom. Any thoughts?
Is physical time in a courtroom a thing in your jurisdiction? Or are you equating virtual hearings to physical time in a courtroom because it's before a judge?

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 7206
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Nony » Thu May 07, 2020 12:06 am

I don't think you're going to get any more time in a courtroom with prosecutors than you are with the PD. Plenty of courts have continued jury trials (in my state it's currently till June 1, someone elsewhere just posted it had been extended where they are to July 1), everyone's teleworking, and the hearings that are taking place are taking place on video. No one's going into the courtroom. Prosecutors aren't going to get back into court any quicker than the PD.

(If you are talking about virtual hearings - you should be able to observe those even if you work remotely. That's the beauty of telephone/video conferences.)

Plus if you do want to go into criminal defense, a lot of offices really really REALLY don't like to see prosecution experience and will ding you for it.

JusticeforTyrion
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by JusticeforTyrion » Sun May 10, 2020 3:29 pm

Thanks for the response! I guess a lot of us are in the same boat now...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests