Notes During Bar Prep

proteinshake

Notes During Bar Prep

Post by proteinshake » Sun May 03, 2020 6:36 pm

I am using Barbri for Bar study. did you take notes while prepping? I'm not sure if it'd be a waste of time since there are outlines (which seem way too detailed). Thanks!

Nony

Re: Notes During Bar Prep

Post by Nony » Sun May 03, 2020 6:39 pm

I took notes during the lectures, which I found more helpful than just filling in the lecture outlines. But that’s just what worked for me, and was what I did throughout law school (I don’t learn very well from premade outlines). And I gave up reading the outlines they provided pretty quickly, except as a resource for things I didn’t understand.

(That said, it’s been a while now since I took it.)

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Sun May 03, 2020 6:42 pm

Nony wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:39 pm
I took notes during the lectures, which I found more helpful than just filling in the lecture outlines. But that’s just what worked for me, and was what I did throughout law school (I don’t learn very well from premade outlines). And I gave up reading the outlines they provided pretty quickly, except as a resource for things I didn’t understand.

(That said, it’s been a while now since I took it.)
thanks! I saw other posts mentioning the fill in the blank lecture outlines - any idea if this is still given by barbri? none of the books contain fillable blanks so I'm not sure where they're located, if they still exist

Nony

Post by Nony » Sun May 03, 2020 6:51 pm

They were in a separate book, and I think it was sent with all the others? But they well may have got rid of it - they weren’t really that helpful, I don’t think.

haus

Post by haus » Sun May 03, 2020 6:52 pm

I do not know about barbri, but the outlines with blanks were part of themis bar prep, which I used for the the Feb exam in DC.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 am

Are you doing a UBE?

I went way over board but made my own outlines for all the possible essay topics and made flow charts of pretty much everything that you could make a chart out of. It was overkill, but the only way I learned to write the essays. I had Kaplan and just didn't find the material to be that useful.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Mon May 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Kümmel wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 am
Are you doing a UBE?

I went way over board but made my own outlines for all the possible essay topics and made flow charts of pretty much everything that you could make a chart out of. It was overkill, but the only way I learned to write the essays. I had Kaplan and just didn't find the material to be that useful.
yep. I actually started taking notes so I can have succinct outlines.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Sat May 16, 2020 11:58 am

don't want to keep making new threads so I'll ask here: how much extra work did you do beyond the Themis/Barbri schedule? Thanks.

Nony

Post by Nony » Sat May 16, 2020 12:05 pm

The schedule was probably pretty different when I took it than it is now, but I didn't get any supplemental resources or anything. Basically I watched all the lectures & created outlines on those subjects (on the Barbri schedule), did all the assigned MBE questions and a few of the essays (I pretty much only did the essays that they graded. The issue for me with the essays wasn't the format/writing but just knowing the black letter law, so I often just reviewed essays rather than fully practiced them). Once the formal course was over I did (I think) all the MBE questions they had available and basically crammed/memorized my outlines until the day of the exam.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat May 16, 2020 12:39 pm

I didn't finish the full Themis course (I got to ~75 or 80% which I was fine with) but as a supplement I did create one-pagers of the important info for each essay topic, with a particular focus on the essay topics that were predicted to come up on that year's MEE. Pretty sure 50% of my secured transactions info was wrong but oh well! I brought them to the bar exam and reviewed them during the lunch break, and I think they helped me stay calm and focused when I had to write the essays in the afternoon. I did better on the MEE than the MBE and I think those mini outlines were why - my practice essays for the first 3/4 of the summer were literal garbage and I wasn't doing well enough on MBE practice questions to be confident in MBE auto-passing, so I needed to do something to help myself there.

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Sat May 16, 2020 12:48 pm

So I did Kaplan because it was free. I did two things beyond the course and felt they were the most helpful:

(1) Adaptibar, which was important when it came to memorizing MBE rules

(2) I hated Kaplan's essay prep. So I bulleted/outlined every single MEE essay in the last decade. NCBE has these answers for free at the bottom of the page and they are incredibly helpful. Not only do you re-enforce rules but you also get to see how the NCBE allocates points and what kinds of different answers will get you points. http://www.ncbex.org/exams/mee/preparing/ . I then just used the free model answers from different jxs (Arkansas/Minnesota/NY) for the more recent years.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Sat May 16, 2020 2:32 pm

thanks all!

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:48 pm

did you write out full essays or outline them for the most part?

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:01 pm

outline in CRAC. i also found it helpful to go over the claims in my head to answer who/what/when/where/why/how to distill the claims into outlineable portions

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:48 pm
did you write out full essays or outline them for the most part?
Usually just outlined, but I made sure to write several full ones for practice. I think outlining in a CRAC format like pancakes mentioned is a good idea.