Marino Retaker Course

ThomasT2115

Marino Retaker Course

Post by ThomasT2115 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:15 am

Hi I just found out I failed the NY Bar Exam again. It was my second try and I did worse than I did the first time. I want to do something different this time. My friend who also failed the first time took Marino Bar Review course for retakers and he passed using it and it wasnt even close. So I am leaning towards this but I dont know anyone else who has taken it. Does anyone have any experience with it they would share with me. Or any other courses like Marino that focus on retakers? I want to do my homework before I commit to another course.

pancakes3

Re: Marino Retaker Course

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:47 am

i don't mean to be a dick, but passing the bar has less to do with the program you're using and more with how you're using the program. new york is UBE so the prep is pretty standard.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:09 pm

I personally have not used it and don't know people who have. But after two UBE fails I think it's safe to say that your old course and study methods are not working for you, so trying a retaker course (whether Marino or otherwise) is probably a good idea.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:10 pm

Also, what course did you take before? (Or courses?) Generally how did you study? How much of the course did you complete each time?

ThomasT2115

Post by ThomasT2115 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 am

I took Barbri both times. The first time I didn't do as much as I should have, I admit. But this last time I did basically the whole Barbri course. Just about any way. Both times it was my essay scores that really killed me.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:55 pm

I don't know how much "basically the whole Barbri course" is (90% of the course? Less?) but you definitely need to change up your study methods for your next take. Doing another round of Barbri isn't going to make you pass, and I know that's why you're asking about retaker courses.

Since I don't have any advice about Marino, I'll at least direct you to a couple of resources that may be helpful in the short-term:
-J.D. Advising has a great article on the things you should be considering after you fail - https://www.jdadvising.com/failed-bar-e ... our-times/. I wouldn't necessarily recommend their materials or course, but I think your first step is figuring out what went wrong before, and something more specific than just "my essay scores." You can consider attending their free webinar this week for people who failed, but I'd resist any sales pitches for their course. https://www.jdadvising.com/free-webinar ... -bar-exam/
-Separac also has a free UBE score analysis report for retakers. https://seperac.com/scoreform.php I have heard good things about Separac so this one I will actually vouch for.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:58 pm

Do thousands of practice MBE questions multiple choice. Everyone you get wrong dissect the hell out of.

BlendedUnicorn
Hardening Democrat

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:06 pm

Johannes wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:58 pm
Do thousands of practice MBE questions multiple choice. Everyone you get wrong dissect the hell out of.
+1

If you can run up enough of a lead (70% right+) on the multiple choice the essays basically don’t matter.

If you’re getting bad scores on the essays, work on how you’re structuring them. You can get a workable score just by sticking with CIRAC (conclusion, issue, rule, analysis, conclusion) even if you’re just making up the law.

JenDarby

Post by JenDarby » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:26 pm

Johannes wrote:
this is what helped me the most

also if lean sheats or an equivalent exists, buy that

JenDarby

Post by JenDarby » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:29 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:06 pm
Johannes wrote:
+1

If you can run up enough of a lead (70% right+) on the multiple choice the essays basically don’t matter.

If you’re getting bad scores on the essays, work on how you’re structuring them. You can get a workable score just by sticking with CIRAC (conclusion, issue, rule, analysis, conclusion) even if you’re just making up the law.

and this

know they only have seconds to read each essay so structure matters more than what you say. structure it well, say law words, and that’s about the best you can do

my year, one question in nyc was on unsettled law. so even if you assumed proctors had enough time to read for detail, there was no right answer

maryhoops

Post by maryhoops » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:33 am

To the original poster - I did not take it myself, but my best friend just got her bar exam results back and she passed using the Marino Retaker course. So based on her experience I would strongly recommend you consider it. She had failed 3 times before with both Barbri and Kaplan. She said Marino gave her a tutor that she really loved. Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do, don't do Barbri again for the third time, it does not sound like it is working for you

ThomasT2115

Post by ThomasT2115 » Sun May 03, 2020 12:24 am

Thank you for all the advice, I think everyone is different because in my case, I did so so on the MBE section, not great, but borderline passing, but it was my essays both times that really hurt me badly because they were just sooooo low. If I can just even do "decently" on the essays I should be able to pass this time. I talked to someone from my law school's bar preparation program who told me Marino Bar Review is the best way to go for retakers, so I am pretty sure I will indeed take that course now. As recommended on this board, I may also ask Seperac for an analysis of my scores to make sure I am not missing anything.