Marking up an NDA exercise for in-house position interview

PallasAthena

Marking up an NDA exercise for in-house position interview

Post by PallasAthena » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi,

I am interviewing for an in-house IP counsel position with a start-up next week. Although the IP counsel would primarily be responsible for patent prosecution (preparing patent applications, responses to Office Actions, Freedom to Operate and Patentability analyses etc.), they would also like the IP counsel to help out with some transactional stuff such as marking up NDAs, MTAs etc. I have been informed that there will be an NDA markup exercise during my onsite interview. My legal experience is on the patent prosecution side. So I was wondering if the transactional lawyers out there could give me helpful tips on what to specifically look for when marking up an NDA. I have been searching the internet as well, but any input from transactional lawyers or anyone who has had to do a similar exercise during an interview would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Transactional lawyer

Re: Marking up an NDA exercise for in-house position interview

Post by Transactional lawyer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Just off the top of my head, the big ones generally are scope of the definition of confidential information, survival period, group with which the info may be shared, any strange indemnification/waiver of liability language, and circumstances under which the info can be shared

PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:38 am

Transactional lawyer wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:40 pm
Just off the top of my head, the big ones generally are scope of the definition of confidential information, survival period, group with which the info may be shared, any strange indemnification/waiver of liability language, and circumstances under which the info can be shared
Thanks! That's very helpful!

attorneyorlawyer

Post by attorneyorlawyer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:48 am

Residuals. Look out for those as they may slip it in (even if it's called something else)