Judicial Internship with a State CJ

BigLawHopeful

Judicial Internship with a State CJ

Post by BigLawHopeful » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:16 pm

Would a judicial internship with a State CJ move the needle at all on the path to Big Law? To add some context, I'm a PT student--I work FT in i-banking, and in order to take any summer internships, I would need to work something out with my PTO and a potential leave of absence. I'm sure I could figure something out with my employer if I thought the opportunity was worth it. So... is it?

pancakes3

Re: Judicial Internship with a State CJ

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:21 pm

no.

CS1775

Post by CS1775 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:52 pm

If you want to work in BigLaw, spend your 1L summer at a BigLaw firm.

A state supreme court's chief justice may have connections with big firms, but the two that I've met and learned about during law school were not plugged in enough to tap a partner on the shoulder and suggest a former intern as an associate post-grad. Some judges, unfortunately, don't give a lot of attention to interns. Now, if you're in chambers every day of the work week, that's one thing, but OP's post doesn't sound like 8:30-5, M-F in chambers is possible. However, not all judges are willing to pull strings for former interns.

Judicial internships are the way to work towards a clerkship. A clerkship may lead to BigLaw. But the two career paths aren't exactly intertwined

Nony

Post by Nony » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:56 pm

And really internships aren’t much of a way to a clerkship. Good grades and school pedigree are the way to a clerkship (and connections, but many judicial internships won’t give those due to the lack of attention to interns).

MJB

Post by MJB » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:21 pm
no.