Applying after seat deposit

General admissions strategy questions, what are my chances, discussion of specific application materials like financial aid and scholarships.
Faustian89

Applying after seat deposit

Post by Faustian89 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:20 am

I plan to hear back from schools (t14-t20s) around the first seat deposit deadline (mid/late April). I plan on retaking (March LSAT) to help with potential waitlists, but in the chance I do exceptionally well in March, I may even want to apply to higher ranked schools. I know this would be extremely late, but I have seen for AA males they do make exceptions. At that point I may need to have already placed a seat deposit at a school, however, which often allows you to stay on waitlists but often requires you to withdraw other pending applications. I know it really comes down to the specific language of the deposit, but can someone give me advice about this? Thanks.

pancakes3

Re: Applying after seat deposit

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:53 am

you lose most of the leverage gained from a killer march LSAT by committing to attend this cycle, both in terms of admissions, negotiating scholarships so the advice, not to be reductive, is to sit out and reapply.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:36 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:53 am
you lose most of the leverage gained from a killer march LSAT by committing to attend this cycle, both in terms of admissions, negotiating scholarships so the advice, not to be reductive, is to sit out and reapply.
Agree with this.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:52 pm

It would depend on the specific language of the seat deposit, but most schools would require you to withdraw from consideration at other schools if you weren't going to ride a waitlist there. You couldn't submit a new application to a T-14 if you put a seat deposit down elsewhere. I'd echo pancakes' advice and keep yourself open to reapplying next cycle with a better spring/summer LSAT score.

Kavanagh

Post by Kavanagh » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:57 am

Do they look down upon second or third-time applicants?

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:03 am

No. It’s better if you have material changes on your next application (better LSAT, promotion at work, etc.), but even with everything almost exactly the same, you’ll be treated the same (they may reference your previous app, so you’ll want new PS, DS, etc.).