help
46%
please
54%

Total votes: 24

Slippin’ Jimmy

Re: Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy »

Thought about doing more credits but between being on the school's busiest secondary journal and being on the board for a group I didn't want to overextend myself.
DorkothyParker

Post by DorkothyParker »

Whoa! You guys must take more courses 1L year. We still have several required courses for 2l or 3l year.

I did the math, I guess really I only need ~15 credits/quarter (3 quarters in a year), but I think I prefer a heavier credit load with fewer courses because, if it's anything like my 1L classes, the 3/4 credit classes didn't seem more chill than 6/7 credit classes workload wise. And I like having big chunks of time off. I think my winter classes (which I have on pre-schedule but which need approval codes granted) are scheduled to give me Fridays off.
Spring is up in the air as some specialized topics don't even have times listed yet!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

We take a total of at least 85 credits. First semester was 17 hours, second was 16, though we only got one hour's credit for legal research (vs. four for legal writing), and that fell in the second semester in spite of being spread across the whole year (and easily being as much work as another class). From here on out, the only requirements are Con Law (4), Evidence (3), and then we need an advanced writing course (which being on a journal can satisfy) and 16 credits of experiential courses, one of which has to satisfy the actual practice requirement. I won't have any trouble with the experiential stuff - since I'm taking a practicum version of Evidence, I'll have seven experiential credits this semester, and I plan to take another practicum in the Spring. If I get into one of the clinics 3L year, that'll be ten credits and satisfy the actual practice requirement. I think the bulk of what I take from here on out is either going to be a bar subject or practical.
DorkothyParker

Post by DorkothyParker »

All 3 years comes to 135 credits for us. Is this weird? Are we weird? I feel like we are weird.

1L was:
Torts (Fall 7)
Civ Pro I (Fall 6)
LAWR (Fall 3)
=16

Perspectives on Law (Winter 1 - p/f)
Contracts (Winter 7)
Property (Winter 6)
LARW (Winter 2)
=16

Con Law I (Spring 6)
Transnational Law (Spring 3)
Criminal Law (Spring 5)
LARW (Spring 2)
=16

I think the plan (my plan) is to get my other required courses out of the way 2l year slowly but surely. (Evidence, Administrative Law, Professional Responsibility, and Business Organizations). Which I do have on my 2l planner along with a variety of business-related courses.

Then do experiential (9 credits total), maybe some fun specialty Real Estate or Cannabis law stuff, and bar study with my extra time toward the end of 3l year. Oh yeah, and the public service requirement. But I think that can overlap with the experiential stuff when I do clinic.
DorkothyParker

Post by DorkothyParker »

Out of curiosity, what is everyone ACTUALLY doing this summer at internships?
I don't mean like "law office" or "non-profit" but your physical day to day stuff. What are you allowed to touch? Not trying to compare but I totally want to compare...
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey »

i signed up for 5 classes but may drop one. not sure. as of rn, it's biz orgs, evidence, some super small seminar, prof responsibility, and mental health law. don't really wanna take evidence yet but it fit so well into my schedule.
DorkothyParker wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:24 pm Cannabis law stuff
LIT
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey »

DorkothyParker wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:19 pm Out of curiosity, what is everyone ACTUALLY doing this summer at internships?
I don't mean like "law office" or "non-profit" but your physical day to day stuff. What are you allowed to touch? Not trying to compare but I totally want to compare...
i am doing immigration stuff. lots of westlaw, speaking with clients a ton, writing stuff like affidavits and motions. pretty much it.

what am i allowed to touch? i can look at every single page of someone's case files if that's what you are asking :shock: lol
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

DorkothyParker wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:19 pm Out of curiosity, what is everyone ACTUALLY doing this summer at internships?
So, I'm interning for a state court of appeals judge, and I've been tasked with writing draft opinions (two, and it looks like that'll be the end of those), outlining another, and memos on two more. One of the memos was a case of first impression that even other states barely had anything to guide us on, and I was given free run to research that down to the level of "what did they talk about regarding this at state constitutional conventions" for a couple of weeks. That was amazing, but also likely the coolest issue I'll ever get to touch.

As for course schedules, it's good to see someone else's school is weird and makes you take Transnational Law. In spite of not getting Con Law first year, we had that, Professional Responsibility, and Admin during second semester.
Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy »

Why in the world would you be required to take Transnational and Admin before ConLaw? Prof Responsibility I can kind of understand, but the other two we aren't even required to take.

Also I missed the boat on the one BA section that worked with my schedule, so taking Principles of Commercial and Bankruptcy Law instead which looks pretty interesting and relevant for corporate practice, but has class on Thursday evenings...
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 am Why in the world would you be required to take Transnational and Admin before ConLaw? Prof Responsibility I can kind of understand, but the other two we aren't even required to take.
Because we're fucking weird? Next year, the curriculum shifts, and Con Law is going back into the first year, PR is moving to the second, and Admin will no longer be a requirement. I'd personally have cut Transnat instead of Admin, but they don't pay me to run a law school.
sev

Post by sev »

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 amAlso I missed the boat on the one BA section that worked with my schedule, so taking Principles of Commercial and Bankruptcy Law instead which looks pretty interesting and relevant for corporate practice, but has class on Thursday evenings...
You're one of the two people currently registered for the 100 person class. 0_o

I'm gambling that the main class I want (Fed Tax) won't fill up because I also wanted to take evidence with Griffin and knew that would fill fast. Not sure if that's a good move.
Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy »

sev wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:15 am
Slippin’ Jimmy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 amAlso I missed the boat on the one BA section that worked with my schedule, so taking Principles of Commercial and Bankruptcy Law instead which looks pretty interesting and relevant for corporate practice, but has class on Thursday evenings...
You're one of the two people currently registered for the 100 person class. 0_o

I'm gambling that the main class I want (Fed Tax) won't fill up because I also wanted to take evidence with Griffin and knew that would fill fast. Not sure if that's a good move.
I'm not registered for it yet, I was planning on taking BA with De Fontenay and assumed the two BA sections would fill evenly but De Fontenay is already full. I'm assuming Bankruptcy will have slots round two because like you said it has 100 slots and only 2 registered.

I did Ethics, FedCourts, Alternate Dispute Resolution and Corp Ethics in round one, which in hindsight might not have been the best move but I still wouldn't be surprised if FedCourts and ADR fill before our round 2 (and Corp Ethics is already full at 9 students).
DorkothyParker

Post by DorkothyParker »

I'm interning with in-house counsel for a medium company, large-ish website(s). I'd reckon we are top in what we do, but what we do is not Google, Amazon, or Facebook.

I "write" a lot of contracts of various types. But it's mostly plug and chug. Although I got to make a new type of contract this morning using a similar but different one as an example. So that used mostly copy, paste, and some reformatting! :lol:
Also termination letters and stern reminders.

Our company hosts a review site so I get to review questionable reviews and decide if they can be published "as is." Negative is fine, but there are a handful of things that we will not publish or will ask the reviewer to rephrase.
I also review privacy language on all our sites and affiliated sites to make sure they are up to date.
And I review other regulatory stuff. But the meat of that belongs to a temp. (Which I am fine with.)

I got to sit in on some calls with legislative aids regarding legislation that may or may not effect us. (This I'm not really "touching.")

And, and I think this is more "intern" than "legal," but I also get to compile and respond to unsubscribe requests. There is some loose way the company finangled this duty to legal instead of another department, I'm sure. But it could also totally not be us...

If I am being fair, I don't think what I do requires legal knowledge/anything I learned 1L year. Although understanding of contractual terms is pretty paramount, but could be otherwise learned.

But it's nice to be in an office with a view!
ntp

Post by ntp »

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:34 pm I'm not registered for it yet, I was planning on taking BA with De Fontenay and assumed the two BA sections would fill evenly but De Fontenay is already full. I'm assuming Bankruptcy will have slots round two because like you said it has 100 slots and only 2 registered.

I did Ethics, FedCourts, Alternate Dispute Resolution and Corp Ethics in round one, which in hindsight might not have been the best move but I still wouldn't be surprised if FedCourts and ADR fill before our round 2 (and Corp Ethics is already full at 9 students).
Ayyye I’m taking ADR too! I was going to take copyright but I found an old syllabus and Reichman looks like Sachs v2 with the reading. I noped on out of that mess

We’ll have ADR, Ethics, and journal together. Basically best friends now or something like that
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey »

ntp wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:27 am Basically best friends now or something like that
k.
Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy »

ntp wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:27 am
Slippin’ Jimmy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:34 pm I'm not registered for it yet, I was planning on taking BA with De Fontenay and assumed the two BA sections would fill evenly but De Fontenay is already full. I'm assuming Bankruptcy will have slots round two because like you said it has 100 slots and only 2 registered.

Ayyye I’m taking ADR too! I was going to take copyright but I found an old syllabus and Reichman looks like Sachs v2 with the reading. I noped on out of that mess

We’ll have ADR, Ethics, and journal together. Basically best friends now or something like that
Now we just have to end up at the same firm :lol:
Experiment626

Post by Experiment626 »

Working my regular job and evening class this summer for me. I'm working on getting legal experience through work. Can't go into specifics because it would be too identifiable.

Right now I'm in Con Law and Crim Pro for sure, our evening program makes us take these our 2L year and Property in the spring. I'm trying to get work to agree to let me leave early and take an early afternoon class and then just work from campus until my real evening classes on MW. If it's not possible, then I'll take a Cyberlaw class that is already on my schedule. Probably only doing Property and Admin law in the spring, that's when I have to write my Journal comment, so I'll use my journal credits then.
ntp

Post by ntp »

Mikey wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:32 am
ntp wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:27 am Basically best friends now or something like that
k.
No one will replace you boo but you never text me anymore and idk why it gotta be like that
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey »

Experiment626 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:57 am Working my regular job and evening class this summer for me. I'm working on getting legal experience through work. Can't go into specifics because it would be too identifiable.

Right now I'm in Con Law and Crim Pro for sure, our evening program makes us take these our 2L year and Property in the spring. I'm trying to get work to agree to let me leave early and take an early afternoon class and then just work from campus until my real evening classes on MW. If it's not possible, then I'll take a Cyberlaw class that is already on my schedule. Probably only doing Property and Admin law in the spring, that's when I have to write my Journal comment, so I'll use my journal credits then.
cyber law seems really cool. my school has a seminar on it but it did not fit well with my schedule so i hope it or another class like it is offered in the spring
DorkothyParker

Post by DorkothyParker »

All I want to do now when I'm not at work/actively Momming is read for fun. I've been getting into short stories (quick payoff!). I've read a couple Harlan Ellison collections and a one by Terry Pratchett this summer. What other short story collections would you recommend for a sci fi fan?
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

DorkothyParker wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:20 am All I want to do now when I'm not at work/actively Momming is read for fun. I've been getting into short stories (quick payoff!). I've read a couple Harlan Ellison collections and a one by Terry Pratchett this summer. What other short story collections would you recommend for a sci fi fan?
Terry Bisson's "Bears Discover Fire" is a wild trip of short stories.
LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 »

When you had a callback with your favorite firm weeks ago and have heard silence since.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

My favorite firm is a regional that won't even meet to decide who gets callbacks until at least next week. My screener was the first week of July.
LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 »

Stranger wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 am My favorite firm is a regional that won't even meet to decide who gets callbacks until at least next week. My screener was the first week of July.
My heart goes out to you damn
DOT

Post by DOT »

LawSSS2 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:33 am
Stranger wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 am My favorite firm is a regional that won't even meet to decide who gets callbacks until at least next week. My screener was the first week of July.
My heart goes out to you damn
I think I've shared this before but I had OCI in July and my only out kept me on the hook through October before I got dinged. (ETA: early August CB)

It was gutwrenching, and then the afterburn was that I found out that they only did that because someone in recruiting was out of office for a while.

Good luck with everything y'all!