Grades for Harvard to Yale?

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
dog_eat_dog

Grades for Harvard to Yale?

Post by dog_eat_dog » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:31 pm

Hello,
I'm about to embark at HLS. I'm very excited and happy to be attending HLS, but I am also interested in transferring to Yale. This is mostly because I want to go into academia, but also because I just really think I'd prefer the academic experience at YLS. Roughly what Honors/Pass ratio might I need to make that transfer happen? Thank you.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Re: Grades for Harvard to Yale?

Post by icechicken » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:52 pm

It very rarely makes sense to transfer "horizontally" like this. In terms of outcomes, the top third of the class at HLS (which I assume would be the minimum to transfer without a compelling personal reason -it might well be even more selective) is already doing at least as well as a randomly-chosen YLS student. And you'd actually be shooting yourself in the foot for something like academia by leaving behind any connections you make with professors and classmates at Harvard.

Sorry if that doesn't really answer your question, but truthfully it's not really possible to answer your question precisely. There are few data on this kind of transfer because, for the reason above, almost nobody ever does this.

Danger Zone

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Seconding the above. If you have the grades to transfer, you're doing amazing at Harvard and you'll have excellent opportunities for academia.

dog_eat_dog

Post by dog_eat_dog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:19 pm

icechicken wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:52 pm
It very rarely makes sense to transfer "horizontally" like this. In terms of outcomes, the top third of the class at HLS (which I assume would be the minimum to transfer without a compelling personal reason -it might well be even more selective) is already doing at least as well as a randomly-chosen YLS student. And you'd actually be shooting yourself in the foot for something like academia by leaving behind any connections you make with professors and classmates at Harvard.

Sorry if that doesn't really answer your question, but truthfully it's not really possible to answer your question precisely. There are few data on this kind of transfer because, for the reason above, almost nobody ever does this.
Oh ok, that's good to know. I was under the impression that YLS is so much better than HLS for academia (and other niche outcomes) that it would be a good idea to transfer, unless you made the grades for Law Review or something. If it's closer than I thought, that's a relief.

dog_eat_dog

Post by dog_eat_dog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:23 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:16 pm
Seconding the above. If you have the grades to transfer, you're doing amazing at Harvard and you'll have excellent opportunities for academia.
Yeah I guess I was wondering if there was an outcome below "amazing" (9/10 Honors >>law review or something), that would be competitive for transferring. I realize that it wouldn't make sense to transfer if I was at the top of the class.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34 pm

You'll be fine at Harvard. As others said, I think being at HY or S and having top notch grades will make a difference in getting you into academia, not the marginal gap between Yale and Harvard.

Focus your energies on your grades and the other esoteric things that are helpful to entering legal academia, like research/publishing, a prestigious clerkship, etc. Wasting time transferring will just be a time suck and a waste of your efforts to date at Harvard.

dog_eat_dog

Post by dog_eat_dog » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:15 am

Ok, I'm gonna drop it. Thanks team.