I'm outside the T6; got an interview request on Monday and an offer on Tuesday of this last week. I know K&E Houston made at least 2 offers on Friday. I'd give it another week or so before giving up.
Latham Houston reached out to a friend of mine for an interview request last week. So there are still interview requests offers left!
I want to start with a few caveats before offering any advice. First, I've never job hunted in TX, and anything I say should be understood within that context. So I can't really speak knowledgeably about how TX offices of firms will react to turning down an offer beyond my understanding of hiring practices generally and how this sort of thing can be perceived. Second, if you're competitive as a 1L SA, you're imminently more competitive for a 2L SA, so it's very possible a big shop in TX won't care that you turned them down before, because they will ultimately want competitive candidates who want to be in TX.
Somewhat depending on the firm and office, you will be competitive for a 2L SA, even if you turn down an offer for a 1L SA. That's not to say they won't question why you turned them down the first time, but that just shifts the burden back to you to explain why you chose another opportunity, and further, why you've reevaluated after that opportunity. So let's say you hypothetically turn down JW Houston because you wanted to try a slightly bigger firm by taking an opportunity at KE Houston, you will have to convey to JW the second time around that you realized you really want a TX firm with deep TX ties, and after experiencing a national firm that is aggressively expanding, you prefer the value of being at a firm that will always have a presence in TX because TX runs in their veins. For TX firms, this is the type of thing they will want to hear, because they want to see you as a long-term investment as a 2L SA. And this could basically work in reverse if you were at JW Houston and you turned down KE Houston the first time around. So the key is developing a narrative that will make sense to your interviewers.
Further to the point, the way you handle turning down the offer will ultimately matter for not getting rejected the next time around. Some of the TX offices seem to have recruiting contacts that are unique to their offices, so it's more likely they'll remember you if you don't turn down their offer professionally in a way that won't shut that door. Turning down a 1L SA offer is a delicate matter, because firms know they are buyers in a buyers market for 1L SAs, so 1Ls who turn down an SA will stick out more if you don't handle it properly. That means you absolutely need to maintain open lines of communication with recruiting and any contacts you made at the firm, and you need to explain professionally why you've decided to take another offer. That could be based on a better summer schedule, or maybe a more robust practice area in an area you think interests you, or even a personal connection and relationship with one of the people you met at the other firm. How you navigate saying no will ultimately leave open whether the firm thinks you shut them down for a competitor or if you just took another opportunity that you can explain later when deciding to apply elsewhere.
Finally, if you're blessed with several opportunities, you can at least ask whether they are open to splitting the summer. Your best bet is to not shut out either firm, spending half of the summer with each. That way you could have multiple return offers at two firms that interest you without shutting yourself out from those firms. If you have multiple offers, a split summer as a rising 2L is kind of your ideal scenario.
I'm happy to expand on anything here, but if you've gotten multiple 1L SA offers in the market you want, you're already in a remarkable spot. Focus on getting a return offer above all. Going into 2L OCI with a return offer is the easiest way to defray the stress of getting anything at OCI.
Great - thanks for the advice! I made one call today and it went better than I was expecting (although I'm not really sure what I was expecting!). He was really friendly and left the door open for 2L summer/told me to let them know the next time I'm in town.
I did a 1L SA in Dallas many summer ago. I rejected an offer from one firm to accept an offer from another firm in the same city. Pretty much +1 to everything UVA2B said. When I rejected the offer, I made sure to do so in the most professional manner possible, and made sure to maintain contact with the relevant recruiting contacts. It worked well for me -- they expressed interest in having me join them 2L summer.
Just make sure you don't blow off any firm that gives you an offer.
RubyRhad wrote: ↑Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:12 pmGreat - thanks for the advice! I made one call today and it went better than I was expecting (although I'm not really sure what I was expecting!). He was really friendly and left the door open for 2L summer/told me to let them know the next time I'm in town.
I agree with UVA2B's comments. As long as you're polite and professional now and have a solid reason for why you want to switch (if you do) during 2L, I think you should be fine.
I didn't apply that broadly 2L since I had an offer from my 1L firm and loved it there, so I didn't have much overlap. But as a personal anecdote, I got a 2L offer at a firm that I turned a CB down at 1L (because my first offer was going to expire by the time I did the CB), and I got a CB but not an offer from a firm I turned down an offer at 1L. Honestly, I think the latter was my fault. It was my last CB after doing them for over a week, and I had just had a different CB that morning at a firm that I totally fell in love with (so it was hard for me to get super excited about anywhere else after that). I just didn't come off as very enthusiastic or excited about the firm, and I'm sure that they could tell my heart wasn't in it. Who knows if I would've gotten an offer had I been my normal enthusiastic self, but I do think that if you interview with a firm 2L you turned down an offer at 1L, you probably want to be a little more enthusiastic and excited about the firm than you normally would be in an interview (so they don't think there's a chance of you turning them down again).
Anecdotally, I also know of a couple 2Ls who received (and accepted) offers from firms that they turned down 1L. Just have a solid reason for why you want to be there and be extra excited about the firm!
Congrats on doing so well!
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests