Professional Responsibility/MPRE Qs

CS1775

Professional Responsibility/MPRE Qs

Post by CS1775 »

Two questions about the MPRE (for now):

1) If you take Professional Responsibility (req'd ethics class) in the spring, do you take the MPRE in March? I'm registered for this class this semester and I haven't heard anything from the law school or the prof yet and the deadline to sign up is 1/24 or 1/25.
2) Is there a fee waiver system like there is for the LSAT and applications?
Nony

Re: Professional Responsibility/MPRE Qs

Post by Nony »

You take it whenever you want. There’s no connection between your school course and the MPRE administration. Your school/prof probably isn’t going to say anything about it. (I took the MPRE about 18 months after I took PR.)

I’m not aware of any waivers.
CS1775

Post by CS1775 »

Ok, good to know. I'll email LSAC and find out re: the waiver.
CS1775

Post by CS1775 »

Per [email protected]:
Unfortunately, there is no fee waiver available for the MPRE. NCBE does not provide a fee waiver for testing fees.
stego

Post by stego »

A separate issue is whether taking PR the same semester you study for/take the MPRE will help you either (1) do better on the MPRE or (2) do better on the PR final.

At my school they told us on the first day of PR that it wouldn't prepare us for the MPRE (which I haven't taken yet). I'm curious if anyone had a different experience.
Nony

Post by Nony »

My PR class was actually super helpful for the MPRE, even though IIRC the prof claimed that wasn’t the goal. But basically the class made us read (almost) all the rules and tested us on them, which is excellent prep for the MPRE. If you’re at least familiar with the rules, the MPRE is easy. It’s hard if you don’t look at the rules at all (which can be the case in PR classes where the prof is more interested in deep philosophical questions about what legal ethics should be, in which case the MPRE probably won’t help much on the exam).
heythatslife

Post by heythatslife »

My Legal Professions class had zero relations to the MPRE test in terms of content, which the professor made clear on day 1. I think there were other profs at my school who covered the rules on their syllabi. But honestly I preferred this not being covered in class - looking at the material once for MPRE was dull enough, and I appreciated not having to study the PR rules again for an exam where grades were in play.
Nony

Post by Nony »

I liked my class, but it was presented largely through stories of people who fucked up the rules.