Columbia Law School Class of 2022 Applicants

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
NeverEverGiveUp

Re: Columbia Law School Class of 2022 Applicants

Post by NeverEverGiveUp »

Brushedsuedeluvr wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:20 am
NeverEverGiveUp wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:18 pm
Brushedsuedeluvr wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:59 am
NeverEverGiveUp wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:48 pm
ugg wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:48 pm hey friends. i'm a CLS 3L who is a hamilton fellow (full ride). please feel to reach out if you have any questions.
I am curious how Law school housing compares to off campus housing. How did you go about finding your accommodation? It is worth renting from the school vs privately in the same radius? What should we expect with respect to size/monthly rent?

There's 2 kinds of housing CLS provides-university apartment housing (UAH) and law school housing. In general, law school housing is all within a block or two of the law school, I believe most of the units are furnished, and it's more expensive (I think my friend is paying~$1500/1600 for their 3br). UAH, generally, is larger, less expensive, but can be anywhere between 110th and 125th, Amsterdam (I think) to Broadway; definitely a better chance you'll be further from the law school, which is mattering less to me than I originally thought it would.

Getting housing from CLS is really easy; I'd personally recommend getting housing through CLS the first year, unless you happen to already live in NYC/can afford to take the time to apartment hunt in nyc.

I don't remember exactly what the maximum/minimum rent ranges were, but I'm paying around $1,100 for a 2br UAH apartment; my friend is paying ~$2,000 for a law school housing studio, and I'd imagine that's probably the lowest/highest you'll find from CLS.
This is really helpful, thanks! What is the size of your room? Is there a link to floorplans or pictures You can share with us? Their website is not all that helpful. I am interested in layout and size. I saw a short clip of a unit on YouTube. The kitchen was 😱
Size and layout varies; my room is 184 sqft (I think?). I don't have any floor plans and my room is too messy for a picture. I've seen a few units and none have a kitchen as bad as that. The housing is pretty good, in my opinion, and i'm paying a really reasonable rent! I wouldn't worry too much about housing yet. You'll have a chance to see them in person at the ASW anyways.
Thanks much! I am unlikely to attend asw unfortunately.
pg_66

Post by pg_66 »

I'll ask this in the correct thread now lmao: for those already accepted, when is/are the ASW?
kk6qyz

Post by kk6qyz »

Wanted to bump this. Anyone who was accepted ED know when Columbia's ASW is?
Brushedsuedeluvr

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr »

kk6qyz wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:35 am Wanted to bump this. Anyone who was accepted ED know when Columbia's ASW is?
Feb. 27-Feb 28; Apr. 3-Apr. 4
pg_66

Post by pg_66 »

Brushedsuedeluvr wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:56 am
kk6qyz wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:35 am Wanted to bump this. Anyone who was accepted ED know when Columbia's ASW is?
Feb. 27-Feb 28; Apr. 3-Apr. 4
It's a Wednesday and Thursday? Interesting. Means most people will have to miss a minimum of two days of work/school, maybe even four depending on travel. That's the first I've seen it not on a Thursday/Friday or even Friday/Saturday.
NeverEverGiveUp

The better start sending admission decisions NOW!! Lol
PhDtoLaw

Post by PhDtoLaw »

NeverEverGiveUp wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:04 pm The better start sending admission decisions NOW!! Lol
It should be next week, right? It looks like they start issuing RD decisions in the third week of January.
Downy4in1

Post by Downy4in1 »

Lankhs wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:00 am Checking in! Columbia noted that they’d like an addendum if you’ve taken more than once, so be aware of that.
...whoops. Should’ve read this 4 months ago.
Downy4in1

Post by Downy4in1 »

Congrats to all the admits today! Columbia scholarship info came with the initial acceptance last year, correct?
George Marshall

Post by George Marshall »

Downy4in1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:51 pm Congrats to all the admits today! Columbia scholarship info came with the initial acceptance last year, correct?
Hammies and Bulters did. Not sure if via email or snail mail only.
Very curious if any of today's admits got one. Did we have any 3.8+ / 175+s in today's wave?
Ilike2read

Post by Ilike2read »

George Marshall wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:33 pm
Downy4in1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:51 pm Congrats to all the admits today! Columbia scholarship info came with the initial acceptance last year, correct?
Very curious if any of today's admits got one. Did we have any 3.8+ / 175+s in today's wave?
From the small sample size on lawschoolnumbers and the reddit forums no one with those stats admitted thus far...
flavorless

Post by flavorless »

I just got in with 176/3.9, though I did have a weaker interview so I may not be a candidate for butler/hamilton.
George Marshall

flavorless wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Congratulations!!! Please let us know if you get one - rooting for you!
Last edited by George Marshall on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChaimtheGreat

Post by ChaimtheGreat »

In as of ten minutes ago. Pm for stats!
peachboy

Post by peachboy »

Still super shocked (!!!!!!), but I got in a few hours ago with a 3.8 GPA & 175+ LSAT! No interview, went complete 10/18. In case it helps: they specified in my email that the attached pdf was exactly the same as the mailed version, the letter didn't mention scholarships or aid, and it specified that they would be sending more emails/mailings in the coming weeks.
George Marshall

peachboy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:09 pm
Still super shocked (!!!!!!), but I got in a few hours ago with a 3.8 GPA & 175+ LSAT! No interview, went complete 10/18. In case it helps: they specified in my email that the attached pdf was exactly the same as the mailed version, the letter didn't mention scholarships or aid, and it specified that they would be sending more emails/mailings in the coming weeks.
Congratulations!!!!

So, for past three years there appear to have been no hammies (and I think no butlers) in the first wave. Hammies and butlers came in the second wave. I wonder if they're switching things up this year. Given the high numbers in this wave, I wouldn't be surprised. Good luck all!
rokltlwk

Post by rokltlwk »

peachboy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:09 pm
In via email! Submitted in early November. Did have an interview. Ditto regarding the content of the letter.
welp

Post by welp »

In, TS 4:05. 4.0/173. No named scholarships mentioned
NeverEverGiveUp

Oh my!!! Congrats everyone!!! CLS is a terrific school.
flavorless

Post by flavorless »

George Marshall wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:59 pm
flavorless wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Congratulations!!! Please let us know if you get one - rooting for you!
I definitely will! Good luck with your cycle, and congrats on your success so far!
insidelet18

Hamilton/Butler Scholarships... other merit based aid?

Post by insidelet18 »

Was admitted in yesterdays wave!
Are the Hamilton and Butler scholarships the only merit-based scholarships CLS offers? Is every app considered for the scholarship? Are there any forms that are necessary to fill out to be considered? Above both 75ths.

Thanks y'all
George Marshall

Re: Hamilton/Butler Scholarships... other merit based aid?

insidelet18 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 am Was admitted in yesterdays wave!
Are the Hamilton and Butler scholarships the only merit-based scholarships CLS offers? Is every app considered for the scholarship? Are there any forms that are necessary to fill out to be considered? Above both 75ths.

Thanks y'all
Congratulations! No - other scholarships are offered after admission. I think they're usually a combination of merit and need-based aid (but historically largely merit-based). I think every app is considered. I believe you might have to fill out CSS and some other forms for the scholarships given after admission - CLS will probably let you know.

That's all what I've gathered from past threads - might be out of date/inaccurate.
George Marshall

Lol can we get a missed both waves support group going? Ft. beverage of choice.
Or am I alone here
Lankhs

Post by Lankhs »

Admitted today with the Hamilton!
rokltlwk

Post by rokltlwk »

Lankhs wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 pm Admitted today with the Hamilton!
CONGRATS!! Did you get the admit and Hammy notifications via email?