Beard during CB?

intro-gamer

Beard during CB?

Post by intro-gamer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:20 pm

I have 1L interviews coming up (this is probably applicable to 2L interviews too though) and I was wondering what is the consensus on having a beard during an interview? I just got a haircut and cut my beard low and neat. Whenever I do shave my beard off completely I get a really bad case of razor bumps due to my curly hair (like actually gross looking :shock:). For this reason I'd prefer to keep it on, but if the beard will hurt my chances I'll deal with the razor bumps I suppose... :(

HelloYesThisIsDog

Re: Beard during CB?

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:07 pm

What kind of beard are we talking about? Find a celebrity picture example and show us, if you'd like.

I think anything with real length probably is a no-go. Trim it as short as you can get it without causing skin problems. I can only think of one guy I know in biglaw with a beard and I'm not sure if he started out with it.

intro-gamer

Post by intro-gamer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:22 pm

HelloYesThisIsDog wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:07 pm
What kind of beard are we talking about? Find a celebrity picture example and show us, if you'd like.

I think anything with real length probably is a no-go. Trim it as short as you can get it without causing skin problems. I can only think of one guy I know in biglaw with a beard and I'm not sure if he started out with it.

It's basically this length (if not a touch shorter). Honestly, I will probably just shave it off. I'm getting really nervous about this and it doesn't seem worth the stress.

Post by 1515 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Just a 1L, so take my advice cautiously, but it sounds like you're getting nervous over very little. It's 2019; that's not a particularly bohemian beard length/style.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:11 pm

I think that's fine. Don't give yourself razor burn. I was worried you had something longer and unkempt going on.

intro-gamer

Post by intro-gamer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:00 am

Ahh this is a relief! I really didn't want to deal with the razor bumps/burn. Thank you all for your input! :)

RandomAside

Post by RandomAside » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:33 am

Just FYI, if you’re a black male (or any other person with very fine, curly hair), you should shave with an electric razor (like the Andis T-outliner) instead of a traditional razor that cuts hair beneath the skin. You will get almost zero razor bumps. The razor bumps come from the hair curling back into your skin. If you shave with an electric razor it will not feel as smooth but will look just as good if you shave that same day.

Sorry to rant just passing some knowledge through

CS1775

Post by CS1775 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:08 pm

I also worried about having a beard in addition to long hair (to be clear, I'm male :lol: ).

For my 1L summer internship interview, I went clean shaven and got a haircut. This was for a judicial internship with a right-leaning judge. Once I started the internship, I kept clean shaven for awhile but eventually started growing my hair and beard out again. No one said a peep. The clerk I worked with also had a beard.

For my Spring/Summer 2019 interviews, I have/will get the beard and hair trimmed instead. I don't feel comfortable without a beard and I simply hate shaving. It's easier to trim a beard than shave it off and grow it back out. If you're like me and loathe the idea of the morning shave, go to a traditional male barber once every couple weeks to month and explain your skin issue. If you need to shave the beard off, have the barber do it. Does your skin have issues if you get a shave with a straight-edge?

You mostly just want to keep the facial hair trimmed down enough so nothing hangs off. Try to get a picture of your interviewer - if your interviewer has a police-style high and tight and a face as smooth as Data's, it might be a good idea to go clean shaven and then grow the beard back out as you get comfortable with everyone at the office. On the flip side, if your interviewer has a beard, you're probably safe with one yourself.

Nony

Post by Nony » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:09 pm

...or your interviewer might be a woman. 😁

I really don’t think a tidy close-shaven beard would be a problem. Long hair is something else, but I don’t see any reason to torture your skin. Just because your interviewer is clean-shaven doesn’t mean they care that you’re not.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 pm

You're totally fine with that length. A bunch of guys at my firm have beards, it's really not that uncommon! Just make sure it's neat and close-shaven for the interviews.

intro-gamer

Post by intro-gamer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:51 pm

RandomAside wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:33 am
Just FYI, if you’re a black male (or any other person with very fine, curly hair), you should shave with an electric razor (like the Andis T-outliner) instead of a traditional razor that cuts hair beneath the skin. You will get almost zero razor bumps. The razor bumps come from the hair curling back into your skin. If you shave with an electric razor it will not feel as smooth but will look just as good if you shave that same day.

I wish this were true for me (and it is true for black men generally), but I seem to be the exception. I've tried a bunch of electric razors to shave my beard before, and I've had barbers shave my beard before. I still get gross razor bumps that last for months nonetheless (sorry if this is tmi :lol: ). I'm not sure if it has more to do with my skin being very sensitive, or my beard hair being very fast growing, or curly or what, but I always get them when I shave my beard.

Thanks for all the support by the way peeps! I just went on an interview and I think my fears were very much overblown. I did not receive any odd looks or heard any comments as they relate to my beard. Very happy to see that this won't be an issue in the future :D .

CS1775

Post by CS1775 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:31 am

intro-gamer wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:51 pm
RandomAside wrote:

I wish this were true for me (and it is true for black men generally), but I seem to be the exception. I've tried a bunch of electric razors to shave my beard before, and I've had barbers shave my beard before. I still get gross razor bumps that last for months nonetheless (sorry if this is tmi :lol: ). I'm not sure if it has more to do with my skin being very sensitive, or my beard hair being very fast growing, or curly or what, but I always get them when I shave my beard.

Thanks for all the support by the way peeps! I just went on an interview and I think my fears were very much overblown. I did not receive any odd looks or heard any comments as they relate to my beard. Very happy to see that this won't be an issue in the future :D .
Yeah just keep it trimmed then. Think about it this way: if the place is so strict that they don't want you to have a beard, do you really want to work there?

quiver

Post by quiver » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:06 pm

CS1775 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:31 am
intro-gamer wrote:
RandomAside wrote:

Yeah just keep it trimmed then. Think about it this way: if the place is so strict that they don't want you to have a beard, do you really want to work there?
Agreed. Even the strictest firms don't really care about (neat) beards. I've done firm interviews, clerkship interviews, and government interviews all with a beard and it has never been an issue.

Pratis

Post by Pratis » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:18 pm

In my experience very few people will care about a well-trimmed beard. If you will be more confident with the beard, that will more than make up for any beard stigma. FWIW, I’m a third year with a beard that interviews for my fairly conservative firm.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:49 pm

intro-gamer wrote:
RandomAside wrote:

Re: other razor options - Have you tried safety razors? I've seen some online discussion that those work better for folks with really curly beard hair. I use them myself, though I have very straight hair.

Update us when you get the job!