Clerks Taking Questions

Anonymous6482

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous6482 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Wondering where I should be looking/if my clerkship office was overly enthusiastic.

Top 1/3 at a non hys t14, no LR but moot court and secondary journal board. I think I will have strong reccommendations, and I have a bunch of public interest work experience. I’m also super geographically flexible and am applying very widely. My grades this semester should also be stronger than 1L (don’t take finals with fevers!)

Also, if I can signficiantly pull up my grades and end up in the top 15% for 2L grades, would a COA app be realistic?

Thanks!

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:23 am

Anonymous6482 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:32 pm
Wondering where I should be looking/if my clerkship office was overly enthusiastic.

Top 1/3 at a non hys t14, no LR but moot court and secondary journal board. I think I will have strong reccommendations, and I have a bunch of public interest work experience. I’m also super geographically flexible and am applying very widely. My grades this semester should also be stronger than 1L (don’t take finals with fevers!)

Also, if I can signficiantly pull up my grades and end up in the top 15% for 2L grades, would a COA app be realistic?

Thanks!
COA realistic? Yes, but also difficult.

Some non-HYS T14s place better than others.

MJB

Post by MJB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:31 pm

I'd call COA "possible," but not much about your application stands out (except maybe work experience, depending on what you were doing). I think your chances would improve significantly with good legal work experience or a district court clerkship, though.

Anonymous23423

Post by Anonymous23423 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Thanks guys! I meant to also ask (hazards of phone typing) if you'd say I'm in range for district courts. Our clerkship counsellor is just so nice I don't think he'd say no to my face.

RoyalHollow

Post by RoyalHollow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:20 pm

Anonymous23423 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:48 pm
Thanks guys! I meant to also ask (hazards of phone typing) if you'd say I'm in range for district courts. Our clerkship counsellor is just so nice I don't think he'd say no to my face.
If you are "Anonymous6482" from above, then yes, you should be able to get *a* district court clerkship. Might be a stretch for feeders and super desirable judges and whatnot, but for the rest, you should be in consideration. You will be most competitive with judges who have a public interest background/like to see that.

WorkoutTapesbyFonda

Post by WorkoutTapesbyFonda » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:07 pm

My co-clerk and I were debating whether we should get gifts for everyone in chambers for Christmas and I was wondering if there was a general consensus on this. No one has mentioned a gift exchange and I just assumed there wouldn't be one. My co-clerk really wanted to get a something small (like candy) for everyone. I think we shouldn't because it will make everyone feel awkward when they have nothing for us.

Thoughts?

lawman84

Post by lawman84 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:13 am

WorkoutTapesbyFonda wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:07 pm
My co-clerk and I were debating whether we should get gifts for everyone in chambers for Christmas and I was wondering if there was a general consensus on this. No one has mentioned a gift exchange and I just assumed there wouldn't be one. My co-clerk really wanted to get a something small (like candy) for everyone. I think we shouldn't because it will make everyone feel awkward when they have nothing for us.

Thoughts?
I think your instincts are right.

MJB

Post by MJB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:15 am

WorkoutTapesbyFonda wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Thoughts?
I wouldn’t, or at least I wouldn’t present it as a “gift.” I think it would be different to bring in candy (or donuts or cookies or something) and put them in the kitchen for everyone, but giving people individual gifts changes the dynamic.

usaorbust

Post by usaorbust » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:46 pm

I know this is pretty chamber specific, I would guess, but I would love some info form clerks about judicial internships: What types of assignments do you give interns, how do I know what chambers would be best to work for, what do interns take away form the process, and how do you know which judges will or will not hire interns as clerks.

CS1775

Post by CS1775 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:42 am

usaorbust wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:46 pm
I know this is pretty chamber specific, I would guess, but I would love some info form clerks about judicial internships: What types of assignments do you give interns, how do I know what chambers would be best to work for, what do interns take away form the process, and how do you know which judges will or will not hire interns as clerks.
I just saw this now eleven days later, figured you warrant a response. You answered your own question: it depends on the chambers. My XP is that I did a judicial internship and worked daily with other interns, I spoke to other law students who did judicial internships, and I read. A lot. I will be applying for clerkships this cycle (2020-2021).

1) What types of assignments do interns get? This will depend on the court's level, the judge, and the clerk(s). If you're at an appellate court, you're going to be doing more research and writing, probably internal. Opinion draft writing is really fun, I did that + "hey, can you research this question for me?" during my judicial internship. If you're at a "trial" court, like a state general court of jurisdiction, a Federal district court, or a specialty court like say a state family court, you're going to do more "trial" related work like responses to motions, memos to the judge, etc.

2) How do you know what chambers to work for? TL:DR, ask questions. Except for very prominent judges like retired Judge Kozinski (and note that Kozinski had a sexual abuse scandal), you will have to PM a former clerk/intern on here, that other forum, Reddit, or over a more connection-based forum like LinkedIn, email, or a phone call (these latter three avenues are usually opened up via school connections).

3) What do interns take away from the process? This depends on the intern with one exception, writing samples. Some courts rule all intern-created content as "internal" and unable to be used by the former intern as a writing sample. But in general, what interns get out of the "job" depends on the intern. You reap what you sow.

4) How do [applicants] know which judges hire interns? This is the applicant's job to figure out. First, where do you want to be geographically? A judicial internship is a nice way to break into a market or shore up connections. Second, what level do you want to work at? Appellate or trial? Grades will be somewhat dispositive here now that 1Ls (and obviously 2Ls) have grades. Once you answer these questions, talk to your law school's career services office. They absolutely keep tabs on who goes where, especially on their "home turf", the law school's primary market. If you want to go where everyone else does (like say to the chief judge of the local Federal district court), then you need to have qualifications that put you head and shoulders above the competition, or at least makes you more compelling to hire than the rest of your 1L competition. If you want to go where no one else does, you have that advantage of not facing as much competition.

Once you do steps 1, 2, and 3, you'll have a good idea. Career services will often know of connections too, like say a judge contacts them and says "I would like an intern for Summer 2019" and does not publicly advertise.

Of course, the simplest way to find out is to call the chambers's secretary (often the default number) and ask if chambers takes interns, or send an email. Just sending a cover letter and resume works too - that's what I did after I talked to career services.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that some judges/courts will not hire former interns as clerks due to concerns about favoritism and appearances. My state's supreme court chief justice has this policy.