Is it possible to start in a new practice group at another firm?

Post Reply
help me

Is it possible to start in a new practice group at another firm?

Post by help me » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:38 pm

I'd be open to start over as a first year, but this move seems pretty impossible. Has anyone here ever seen it done?

User avatar
Johannes
Posts: 10427
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: Is it possible to start in a new practice group at another firm?

Post by Johannes » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:42 am

Yeah it happens a decent amount.

help me

Re: Is it possible to start in a new practice group at another firm?

Post by help me » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am

Johannes wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:42 am
Yeah it happens a decent amount.
How have you seen it happen? Need advice. Thanks!

swing
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 am

Re: Is it possible to start in a new practice group at another firm?

Post by swing » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:52 am

help me wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am
Johannes wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:42 am
Yeah it happens a decent amount.
How have you seen it happen? Need advice. Thanks!
Probably by (1) having excellent academics and (2) coming from a top pier firm or a top firm to a *lesser* firm.

User avatar
Johannes
Posts: 10427
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: Is it possible to start in a new practice group at another firm?

Post by Johannes » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 am

swing wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:52 am
help me wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am
Johannes wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:42 am
Yeah it happens a decent amount.
How have you seen it happen? Need advice. Thanks!
Probably by (1) having excellent academics and (2) coming from a top pier firm or a top firm to a *lesser* firm.
Just requires mass mailing and applying broadly with a compelling narrative for why you want to switch groups. Have to play up the experience you do have and how it translates to what they do.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 1055
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Is it possible to start in a new practice group at another firm?

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:33 pm

swing wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:52 am
help me wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am
Johannes wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:42 am
Yeah it happens a decent amount.
How have you seen it happen? Need advice. Thanks!
Probably by (1) having excellent academics and (2) coming from a top pier firm or a top firm to a *lesser* firm.
This is correct. This has basically been the experience of the several people I know who did it. Most of them made transitions from one practice group to a not wholly different practice group (i.e. corporate to real estate, going from top firm to another top firm), or from one practice group to a wholly different practice group (i.e. corporate to litigation, going from a top regional firm to another top regional firm).

User avatar
barkschool
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Re: Is it possible to start in a new practice group at another firm?

Post by barkschool » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:32 pm

help me wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:38 pm
I'd be open to start over as a first year, but this move seems pretty impossible. Has anyone here ever seen it done?
What year are you? Two friends did this in the last few months. Not impossible.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests