Columbia Students Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
abarbaricsheep

Re: Columbia Students Taking Questions

Post by abarbaricsheep » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:09 am

undecided2021 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:42 am
I got offered a studio at Lenfest ~$2300 per month. Utilities included, but this is still more than I wanted to pay haha. I'm not from NYC, so idk if it's a good idea to turn them down and maybe get shafted the first week in August when I try to find a place. Anyone care to comment about whether or not Lenfest is [remotely] worth the "luxury" cost?
I actually had Lenfest down as my top choice and didn't get it haha

In any case, I was told by some of my seniors that Lenfest is a great choice... If price is not an issue. It does come with a lot of perks but like you said, many of these perks are luxuries and as such they are reflected in the additional cost involved. It depends on what you want? If you want to live with only law students and in a nice dorm, then Lenfest is the place for you. If cost is an issue, then perhaps looking for someplace else would be a better option. Have you tried going to this webpage? https://ocha.facilities.columbia.edu/registration/index

I hope this helps you!

chroniwhatcles

Post by chroniwhatcles » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:06 pm

Do we all take the same 1L classes in the fall? Or is it a rotational thing where half take Torts the other half take Civ Pro etc...

Bearlyalive

Post by Bearlyalive » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:31 pm

violet wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:28 am
Hello!! Anyone know if Lionsgate allows pets??? When I visited for admitted students day, the Lionsgate doorman said that pets were totally allowed. But when I got my housing assignment, the UAH office said pets are not allowed in any of their buildings. So anyone know if i can get away with having a pet in Lionsgate?? I'm really hoping you guys know someone who has done this successfully! Seriously it would be the best news ever!!
Pets are allowed in Lionsgate. Lionsgate is a law school building, not a UAH building. I see a lot of dogs coming out of Lionsgate.

Bearlyalive

Post by Bearlyalive » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:32 pm

chroniwhatcles wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:06 pm
Do we all take the same 1L classes in the fall? Or is it a rotational thing where half take Torts the other half take Civ Pro etc...
Rotational, but everyone will take Civ Pro in the fall and Criminal Law in the spring. Con law, torts, property, and contracts rotate section to section.

violet

Post by violet » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:31 pm
violet wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:28 am
Hello!! Anyone know if Lionsgate allows pets??? When I visited for admitted students day, the Lionsgate doorman said that pets were totally allowed. But when I got my housing assignment, the UAH office said pets are not allowed in any of their buildings. So anyone know if i can get away with having a pet in Lionsgate?? I'm really hoping you guys know someone who has done this successfully! Seriously it would be the best news ever!!
Pets are allowed in Lionsgate. Lionsgate is a law school building, not a UAH building. I see a lot of dogs coming out of Lionsgate.
Thank you so much!!! I'm so happy to hear that!

BrainsyK

Post by BrainsyK » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:27 am

Does anyone know when interview add/drop time/date is?

jean_nicot

Post by jean_nicot » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:07 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:27 am
having trouble copying on mobile but OCS sent an email on july 3rd with “bids received” in the subject line listing out all the dates

BrainsyK

Post by BrainsyK » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:13 pm

jean_nicot wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:07 pm
BrainsyK wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:27 am
having trouble copying on mobile but OCS sent an email on july 3rd with “bids received” in the subject line listing out all the dates
Thank you!

Sloansabbith24

Post by Sloansabbith24 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:36 pm

For peeps that may be interested in DC big law, is it best to solidify that interest early on and do DC externships+ try to be there 1L summer? Is 2L OCI too late to make a choice (no specific ties to DC other than UG internships)

justheresonofine

Post by justheresonofine » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:04 am

Sloansabbith24 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:36 pm
For peeps that may be interested in DC big law, is it best to solidify that interest early on and do DC externships+ try to be there 1L summer? Is 2L OCI too late to make a choice (no specific ties to DC other than UG internships)
Given that you can't do the DC externship program until after EIP, not sure that will help you with biglaw. Given that you don't have any connections to the DC area (this will come up in interviews) it certainly would not hurt to do your 1L summer in DC.

bpp1

Post by bpp1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Could anyone share some insight into 420 West 116th Street? Do people that live there generally like it? Thanks in advance.

itsbertmacklin

Post by itsbertmacklin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:50 am

Would the international offices for big law firms (London, HK...) recruit for 1L/2L via Symplicity as well? Or is it more of a mass mailing thing

thegrandbudapest1

Post by thegrandbudapest1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:46 pm

This might be a stupid question...but I frequently see people advising top 5-10% students from CCN not to transfer to HYS because those grades will likely get them to the same places (big fed, top big law, elite PI, etc.). I'm not interested in transferring, but was wondering how true this is post-big law- since we don't include our grades and ranking on our resume, wouldn't our credentials after year 1 pretty much just be our work experience?

Even if hypothetically one is #1 at Columbia and then chooses to work at a non-Cravath firm that theoretically median can also get (no offense to median!!), how would the grade advantage manifest itself when compared to the rest of the pool later on, when one strives for post-big law unicorn PI opportunities, for example? Wouldn't HYS median still crush a Columbia #1 in this case?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 pm

thegrandbudapest1 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:46 pm
Wouldn't HYS median still crush a Columbia #1 in this case?
No.

Bearlyalive

Post by Bearlyalive » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 am

thegrandbudapest1 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:46 pm
This might be a stupid question...but I frequently see people advising top 5-10% students from CCN not to transfer to HYS because those grades will likely get them to the same places (big fed, top big law, elite PI, etc.). I'm not interested in transferring, but was wondering how true this is post-big law- since we don't include our grades and ranking on our resume, wouldn't our credentials after year 1 pretty much just be our work experience?

Even if hypothetically one is #1 at Columbia and then chooses to work at a non-Cravath firm that theoretically median can also get (no offense to median!!), how would the grade advantage manifest itself when compared to the rest of the pool later on, when one strives for post-big law unicorn PI opportunities, for example? Wouldn't HYS median still crush a Columbia #1 in this case?
No. Even if employers never look at your transcript again after you graduate (which is not the case, to my understanding, for some time—I know, for example, that some competitive jobs will continue to look at transcripts of people 5+ years out), having top grades at Columbia gets you two things: honors, and connections.

For honors, top students get Kent. If you get Kent all three years, you become a “Ginsburg Scholar.” There’s also a prize for the student with the top GPA. All of those honors will be on your resume your entire career.

More importantly, when you transfer you lose all your connections with professors and staff. This really hurts your chances at obtaining the more prestigious clerks hips, which can be far more important than grades in getting a competitive job later in your career.

And most importantly, the difference between Columbia and HYS for prestige is small. Seriously, unless you’re 100% gunning for legal academia, you’re going to be on the same footing as a HYS grad the vast majority of the time. You aren’t going to be interviewed by a HR rep who thinks Harvard is a mythical gem. You’re going to be interviewed by an attorney who has worked with peers from all of these schools, and who knows that people from one top school are no more competent than people from another.

tastingmenu

Post by tastingmenu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Struck out with student housing that works for my needs so I'm just about to sign a lease near the 116th B/C subway stop and Frederick Douglass in West Harlem. Is there anything negative about the area I should know, or any safety concerns I should have?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:00 pm

tastingmenu wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:35 pm
Struck out with student housing that works for my needs so I'm just about to sign a lease near the 116th B/C subway stop and Frederick Douglass in West Harlem. Is there anything negative about the area I should know, or any safety concerns I should have?
No. That's an awesome area. I lived near there for two years.

tastingmenu

Post by tastingmenu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Nebby wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:00 pm
tastingmenu wrote:
No. That's an awesome area. I lived near there for two years.
Awesome! I may PM you to ask a few more specific questions if you don't mind.

stoopkid13

Post by stoopkid13 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:33 pm

tastingmenu wrote:
It looks close to campus on a map, but the walk takes you through Morningside Park which is basically a cliff.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Walking up the stairs for two years did wonders for my calves

bpp1

Post by bpp1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:21 am

I see a midterm period listed on the academic calendar. My understanding was that we only had final exams, not midterms. Do we have midterms for all of our classes, and do they count for our grades?

Bearlyalive

Post by Bearlyalive » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:16 am

bpp1 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:21 am
I see a midterm period listed on the academic calendar. My understanding was that we only had final exams, not midterms. Do we have midterms for all of our classes, and do they count for our grades?
Midterms are rare, but they do exist. The standard class is just a final exam/paper + participation. I'd imagine that if a class has a midterm, it would count towards your grade. I have never had a class with a midterm here.

Stay alive RBG

Post by Stay alive RBG » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:11 am

I definitely echo the question on midterms - seems weird that we would have 2 days dedicated to it if we have no midterms.

A couple other questions:
1. What’s the deal with thanksgiving? Do professors actually hold classes on Wednesday? Are they easy to skip/get out of?

2. Similarly, if I wanted to go out of town on another random weekend, how easy is it to skip class as a 1L?

Bearlyalive

Post by Bearlyalive » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Stay alive RBG wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:11 am
I definitely echo the question on midterms - seems weird that we would have 2 days dedicated to it if we have no midterms.

A couple other questions:
1. What’s the deal with thanksgiving? Do professors actually hold classes on Wednesday? Are they easy to skip/get out of?

2. Similarly, if I wanted to go out of town on another random weekend, how easy is it to skip class as a 1L?
The answer to both your questions is professor-dependent. Some profs will have class the wed before thanksgiving, and others will cancel. I think most profs will record the class if they don’t cancel.

I don’t know if any profs that have a strict attendance policy (though I’m sure they exist), so missing a class generally isn’t a problem. During 1L I would email the prof to give them a heads up, especially if they cold call. Without the heads up, you’re gambling that you won’t be on call the day you miss. Some profs aren’t very happy if they call your name and you aren’t there.

ss108

Post by ss108 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:57 pm

Is that how cold-calling works? I thought profs just looked around and called on people on the spot.