How hard is it to get a C?

Nony

Re: How hard is it to get a C?

Post by Nony » Sat May 12, 2018 4:41 pm

If he'd been able to take the L and resist doubling down, there wouldn't have been any issues, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Shabo

Post by Shabo » Sun May 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Nony wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 2:14 pm
OP, does your school publish grade distributions? (Most do.) That will give you some sense of how frequently Cs are given out.

Also, you said it was a difficult test for a difficult and highly technical class, so there's a good chance that your classmates feel similarly. The curve is likely to save you.
Yes they do. A very small % got B-s and less than 1% got Cs in recent years. I’m hoping Cs are reserved for literally turning in a blank exam or being wrong on every attempted issue spotting/analysis.

Thanks, I hope you’re right and the curve saves me.

Whodareswins

Post by Whodareswins » Tue May 22, 2018 1:48 pm

At my school you have to do pretty poorly to get a C. I think only like 2-3 students out of 45 or so get a C. A C is like an: discretionary. If the professor doesn't think anybody deserves a C I don't believe they have to give one out.

stego

Post by stego » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:52 am

Shabo wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:08 pm
Nony wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 2:14 pm
OP, does your school publish grade distributions? (Most do.) That will give you some sense of how frequently Cs are given out.

Also, you said it was a difficult test for a difficult and highly technical class, so there's a good chance that your classmates feel similarly. The curve is likely to save you.
Yes they do. A very small % got B-s and less than 1% got Cs in recent years. I’m hoping Cs are reserved for literally turning in a blank exam or being wrong on every attempted issue spotting/analysis.

Thanks, I hope you’re right and the curve saves me.
I imagine the bolded (turning in a blank exam or getting every question/issue wrong) is how you would actually fail the class, not get a C.

My school’s grade distribution only says that 0-5% of people get a C/D/F, which isn’t exactly helpful in knowing the frequency since the typical class probably gives out zero Cs.