NYU Waitlist c/o 2021

School-specific applicants threads, waiting for results, announcements of acceptances/denials/waitlists.
sittykitty

Re: NYU Waitlist c/o 2021

Post by sittykitty » Fri May 04, 2018 11:49 am

Y'all are so relaxed. This time last year, we were sixteen pages deep into our WL thread.

postnihilist

Post by postnihilist » Fri May 04, 2018 12:53 pm

sittykitty wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:49 am
Y'all are so relaxed. This time last year, we were sixteen pages deep into our WL thread.
This cycle has been so brutal that I think we’re all nihilistically agnostic about our chances

monsterc_

Post by monsterc_ » Fri May 04, 2018 1:46 pm

postnihilist wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:53 pm
sittykitty wrote:
This cycle has been so brutal that I think we’re all nihilistically agnostic about our chances
^this.
Also, I did stalk last year's thread and it seems like there was more activity last year by this point so there was more to discuss (date changes, different email addresses, status changes, etc.)

sittykitty

Post by sittykitty » Fri May 04, 2018 2:49 pm

It wasn't really more activity; the first UR was reported on May 5 but the rest trickled in the following Monday and Tuesday. If I remember correctly there was a lot of panic over different ACWL dates and a whole debate over whether the sent address for the confirmation emails would correlate with acceptance (some of the emails came from NYU-LawAdmits and some came from NYU-moreinfo).

Providing my data points from 2016-2017 for reference:
ACWL: 5/2
UR1: 5/5
UR2: 5/8
Feeler email: 5/10
In via ASW: 5/16

ThatOneAfrican

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Sat May 05, 2018 8:49 am

I just hope NYU isn't overcommitted like Michigan seems to be.

sorence

Post by sorence » Sun May 06, 2018 2:02 pm

sittykitty wrote:
Was just thinking this. We were a tad neurotic.

zk5q8q1

Post by zk5q8q1 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 am

Has anyone seen any movement yet?

covfefe

Post by covfefe » Mon May 07, 2018 11:51 am

zk5q8q1 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 am
Not me, still waiting...

Covfeffe

Post by Covfeffe » Mon May 07, 2018 12:19 pm

zk5q8q1 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 am
Also silence over here...

throwaway123

Post by throwaway123 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:52 am

Obviously LSN data is incomplete and some users are (for whatever reason) double-counted, but I did some tallies.

------------------------------
Last year:
315 people reported getting accepted at their initial decision. Of these:

168 only reported that they were accepted
120 reported they were accepted and then withdrew
27 reported they were accepted and are attending

86 people reported being waitlisted, and did not report withdrawing
47 were waitlisted and withdrew
21 were waitlisted and were accepted
4 were waitlisted and rejected
This year, as of May 8:
311 people reported getting accepted at their initial decision. Of these:

169 only reported that they were accepted
122 reported they were accepted and then withdrew
20 reported they were accepted and are attending

101 reported being waitlisted, and have not provided a further update
40 were waitlisted and have withdrawn

As you can see, even though NYU reported getting a ton more applications this year, the numbers between this year and last year seem fairly similar, at least as LSN reports them. If you add the people who were accepted or rejected off the waitlist last year to the number who were waitlisted and didn't provide an update last year, it suggests they waitlisted about the same number of people, maybe more actually.

Also, fwiw, last year had 770 applicants say that they applied to NYU and this year had 847, a bump of 10%. If NYU really did have another thousand applications, then they should've seen a bump of around 15%. So LSN seems to be reflecting some but not all of that bump.

So while this data is incomplete and far from conclusive, it is at least suggests that the surge in applications may not dramatically affect the waitlist. And peeking at the Harvard waitlist thread suggests they may be taking more off their WL than expected, which would have a trickle down effect. Just trying to find ways to be positive.

Covfeffe

Post by Covfeffe » Wed May 09, 2018 11:16 am

Crazy we haven’t seen any movement yet. Seems like they’re behind their usual schedule...

postnihilist

Post by postnihilist » Wed May 09, 2018 2:07 pm

Covfeffe wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:16 am
usual schedule...
This fell apart back in 2017...

Littlewing67

Post by Littlewing67 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:05 am

Checking in!!! So we are assuming we should be hearing back soon?

majorlaker

Post by majorlaker » Thu May 10, 2018 11:55 am

Not gonna lie, a bit concerning that on this date last year people were going DLS. Has no one gone UR yet?

Covfeffe

Post by Covfeffe » Thu May 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Should be any day now..? Still ACWL.

lyman

Post by lyman » Thu May 10, 2018 12:18 pm

It almost certainly has something to do with Harvard and Yale. I haven't tracked those groups super closely, but it seems like the general tone in those forums is that they're experiencing slightly more activity than normal. NYU is going to be significantly affected by movement on those waitlists.

Without a doubt, NYU's strategy this year has been "wait and see"--that's why they got back late to more people this year than they seemed to have done the prior year. There's every reason to think that they're taking the exact same strategy right now: HYS are at the top of the waterfall, so they're waiting for the cascade to see where the class stands.

Then again, maybe they're just oversubscribed.

Dogcatcher1

Post by Dogcatcher1 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:28 pm

It is strange we haven’t seen the normal (for the last two years at least) movement by now. NYU typically has an active waitlist.

Then again, this was an irregular cycle so who knows— they may be backlogged and have waitlisted more candidates then normal so it’s taking them longer to sift through and identify needs. They even waitlisted a few people in early May.

Still, I can’t help but feel no URs is, indeed, a pretty bad sign. For those of us on the waitlist, there’s no way to construe less movement as a good thing. At the very least it seems to indicate a longer wait for an eventual discussion.

If we see no movement next week, then it’ll really be demoralizing.

majorlaker

Post by majorlaker » Thu May 10, 2018 12:29 pm

lyman wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:18 pm
It almost certainly has something to do with Harvard and Yale. I haven't tracked those groups super closely, but it seems like the general tone in those forums is that they're experiencing slightly more activity than normal. NYU is going to be significantly affected by movement on those waitlists.

Without a doubt, NYU's strategy this year has been "wait and see"--that's why they got back late to more people this year than they seemed to have done the prior year. There's every reason to think that they're taking the exact same strategy right now: HYS are at the top of the waterfall, so they're waiting for the cascade to see where the class stands.

I feel like NYU's general waitlist movement and their movement post-Harvard waitlist activity are two separate entities. In most years they begin pulling from the waitlist in the beginning of May right after seat deposits, and then Harvard activity in mid-May frees up some more spots. This pre-Harvard activity silence leads me to believe that they don't have spots now, and most of their waitlist activity will be predicated on what Harvard does. Hoping I'm wrong!

Covfeffe

Post by Covfeffe » Thu May 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Has anyone called to ask what the status of the WL is?

lyman

Post by lyman » Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm

majorlaker wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:29 pm
lyman wrote:

I feel like NYU's general waitlist movement and their movement post-Harvard waitlist activity are two separate entities. In most years they begin pulling from the waitlist in the beginning of May right after seat deposits, and then Harvard activity in mid-May frees up some more spots. This pre-Harvard activity silence leads me to believe that they don't have spots now, and most of their waitlist activity will be predicated on what Harvard does. Hoping I'm wrong!
Definitely possible. I’m just saying that, if they’re expecting an uncommon amount of melt to HY and Columbia then they may be worried about securing medians. It might seem like a good idea this year to not separate the first round of WL admits and the post-Harvard WL admits.

Again, very possible they’re overenrolled. I just don’t think it makes sense to say that yet. Based on a post above, the class this year on LSN looks a lot like last year’s. Those data aren’t conclusive but they are somewhat suggestive, I think, as is the H movement, that NYU is just taking a more reserved strategy.
Last edited by lyman on Thu May 10, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wsn9920+

Post by wsn9920+ » Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm

majorlaker wrote:
lyman wrote:

but then again, just because they have done that in the past doesn't mean that is what they have to do this year. and given how off this entire cycle has been across the board, I wouldn't be surprised if they are changing up their waitlist strategy in some way for better or for worse. i wouldn't lose hope that they won't have the exact same waitlist movement of their own!

majorlaker

Post by majorlaker » Thu May 10, 2018 12:57 pm

lyman wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm
majorlaker wrote:
lyman wrote:

Definitely possible. I’m just saying that, if they’re expecting an uncommon amount of melt to HY and Columbia then they may be worried about securing medians. It might seem like a good idea this year to not separate the first round of WL admits and the post-Harvard WL admits.

Again, very possible they’re overenrolled. I just don’t think it makes sense to say that yet. Based on a post above, the class this year on LSN looks a lot like last year’s. Those data aren’t conclusive but they are somewhat suggestive, I think, as is the H movement, that NYU is just taking a more reserved strategy.
That is definitely plausible and I am hoping you're right. I'm not actively concerned over the lack of waitlist movement- just being cautious so as not to get my hopes up. Good for us on not being nearly as neurotic as previous years

sittykitty

Post by sittykitty » Thu May 10, 2018 1:26 pm

I just want y'all to know that about 1/3 of my section came off the waitlist last year (sorence and keilz have confirmed this is true of their sections as well, and the sections are randomized). A lot of my classmates reported getting their offers late into the summer.

monsterc_

Post by monsterc_ » Thu May 10, 2018 1:33 pm

sittykitty wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:26 pm
I just want y'all to know that about 1/3 of my section came off the waitlist last year (sorence and keilz have confirmed this is true of their sections as well, and the sections are randomized). A lot of my classmates reported getting their offers late into the summer.
This makes me feel so much better. Even if its false hope, its just nice to have hope. Thank you for coming back and sharing info here!!

sittykitty

Post by sittykitty » Thu May 10, 2018 1:36 pm

monsterc_ wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:33 pm
sittykitty wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:26 pm
This makes me feel so much better. Even if its false hope, its just nice to have hope. Thank you for coming back and sharing info here!!
You're welcome! Literally anything to avoid studying for finals :P