Score decline?

Studying, strategy, waiting
Darth Jar Jar

Score decline?

Post by Darth Jar Jar » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:28 pm

Tested just under 160 without much studying, now PTing at 150, 153.

Khan Academy says I'll have no problem reaching my goal score if I keep studying each day, but I'm not so sure.

Is it usual to start from a lower point than the last retake? I am planning on sitting for June and October.

RichardMilhousNixon

Re: Score decline?

Post by RichardMilhousNixon » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:30 pm

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the score drop could have been the result of happenstance, different tests, different environment, less studying, etc. Many people who eventually score 17x start out in the 150-160 range so you're in a good place. Spend a few hours every day for three or four months, be patient and consistent, and you should see major improvement.

Darth Jar Jar

Post by Darth Jar Jar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:18 pm

RichardMilhousNixon wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:30 pm
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the score drop could have been the result of happenstance, different tests, different environment, less studying, etc. Many people who eventually score 17x start out in the 150-160 range so you're in a good place. Spend a few hours every day for three or four months, be patient and consistent, and you should see major improvement.
Thanks! I'm getting back into the swing of things but still struggle with LG.

I understand ordering, grouping, and mixed setups in theory, but when confronted with a game I often don't know how to translate the text into a game board and pieces. Once I have my board and elements I'm usually fine.

Not trying to go -0 but it would be nice to finish the section on test day.

Any advice on this first step?

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:36 pm

just drill the problems one at a time, and don't worry about time.

i remember being worried about "using up" the questions but the fact is, there are but so many different ways to ask LG problems and if you've solved them all, even better.

if you've done a problem once, don't discard the question as "oh i've done that." go back and do it again - can you do it perfectly? and quickly? and if you can, can you explain it to someone else how/why?

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:46 pm

Agreed, LG is the easiest to fix because it can be drilled, repeated, and analyzed for the type of game and process improvement until you're fast at all game types. LR and RC can both be drilled in a sense as well, but improving LR and RC through brute force work and study can only go so far and is only as successful as the individual person's ability to apply question type mechanics and dense text comprehension.

Drill. Analyze. Repeat. Eventually you'll start to see the patterns of LG so clearly that it's nearly automatic.

RichardMilhousNixon

Post by RichardMilhousNixon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:53 pm

Darth Jar Jar wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:18 pm
RichardMilhousNixon wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:30 pm
Thanks! I'm getting back into the swing of things but still struggle with LG.

I understand ordering, grouping, and mixed setups in theory, but when confronted with a game I often don't know how to translate the text into a game board and pieces. Once I have my board and elements I'm usually fine.

Not trying to go -0 but it would be nice to finish the section on test day.

Any advice on this first step?
It's been a while since I took the LSAT, so hopefully someone else can give you more specific advice. But I'd recommend getting the Powerscore LG Bible or the Manhattan LG book if you haven't already, working through each of the exercises, and coming back to any you found challenging or confusing. (I seem to recall these are good for board set-up exercises and give you answers / explanations). Then - take a chunk of tests you don't intend to use as full practice exams and work through the games. First do them untimed, then put a timer on just to track your progress (don't sweat it if it's taking you 15-20 minutes on a game, but if you notice your time is improvement you're going from 15 to 10 minutes, that's a good sign). You might want to specifically practice translating the text of the game to the board set-up.

Most importantly - Be patient with yourself. Understand that learning logic games is more like building a muscle or learning a sport or a musical instrument than learning material for a test in undergrad. Progress won't happen overnight and there will be times when it will feel like you've hit a wall for weeks on end. Keep working at it, day by day, and you will see improvement.