Winning strategy for my 4th and final take.

Studying, strategy, waiting
danielpoop123

Winning strategy for my 4th and final take.

Post by danielpoop123 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:31 am

I've taken the LSAT 3 times - 167, 167, 162. I'm looking for the elusive 170.

My big problem is logic games. I always skim the stimulus way too quickly and end up panicking on test day. If I could just get a clean -0 on games on test day like I do in my practice tests I think I could get it.

Logical reason is always below -3. Any advice for how to tighten that up would be appreciated.

RC is always below -4. Same appreciation applies for any advice.

I'm taking in June. I've used every single preptest (some multiple times) and I'm unsure how I should proceed. Advice? Does anyone who struggled with and ultimately beat extreme test anxiety want to share their strategy?

If I don't improve again, I'll be heading to Fordham, but I really want to take a year off instead and tutor the LSAT if I can get the 170. I really feel like I'm capable but stupid mistakes on test day keep getting in the way.

Yowza41

Re: Winning strategy for my 4th and final take.

Post by Yowza41 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Logic games is the one section that people can really completely master because it's almost entirely practice. Powerscore Logic Games Bible really helped me get to the -0 on LG.

danielpoop123

Post by danielpoop123 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Yowza41 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 pm
Logic games is the one section that people can really completely master because it's almost entirely practice. Powerscore Logic Games Bible really helped me get to the -0 on LG.
I know how to do them but I always make stupid mistakes. IDK how to systematically fix that.

Yowza41

Post by Yowza41 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Maybe a better strategy for charting them out, again idk if you've used the logic games bible, but they go through all the stuff about silly mistakes people make and how to avoid them, and how to make the inferences necessary to cut time down. If you've done all that stuff, I would say just doing a lot of real timed versions under similar test conditions that mimic the real deal so that you can get used to the pressure

Eightnine

Post by Eightnine » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:19 am

I'm still of the opinion that you would benefit from a tutor who can help with test anxiety, because I think this is the sort of issue that benefits from you getting some in-person advice with someone working through specific examples and strategies.

If you're not gonna do that, idk maybe you could try some meditation exercises. You could also download some logic game-style apps. Play those everyday, so that immersion helps you catch the simple mistakes you're making. Similar story for reading comp - I think that section's harder to train up for than LG, but you should at least be doing some active reading of complex writing every day.

darthlawyer

Post by darthlawyer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:03 pm

you know what to do.

Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 pm

7Sage LG videos! Watch them and drill til your eyes bleed!

somelawperson

Post by somelawperson » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 am

I am not a professional so IDK what this is worth but I will happily tutor you for free, OP. At 167 you've still got some easy points on the table and I bet we could clean that up in a couple months. I can't make suggestions without hearing more about what your current process is for attacking each section, but I bet you have room to improve here.

danielpoop123

Post by danielpoop123 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 am
I am not a professional so IDK what this is worth but I will happily tutor you for free, OP. At 167 you've still got some easy points on the table and I bet we could clean that up in a couple months. I can't make suggestions without hearing more about what your current process is for attacking each section, but I bet you have room to improve here.
Woah - I just saw this. Is this offer still available? Can I PM you? I've been out of state for a while so I haven't been checking.

somelawperson

Post by somelawperson » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:19 pm

danielpoop123 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:32 pm
Rowdy wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 am
Woah - I just saw this. Is this offer still available? Can I PM you? I've been out of state for a while so I haven't been checking.
Yeah please do! I don't have a ton of time in the next couple days but pm me and let's get to work this week if you want!